Old 04-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Jesús J. Guerrero Botella

Default win key takes me from X to VT

Hello.

I am having this issue since a couple of days ago.

When I press the win key (alone) I am taken back to VT, which is quite
annoying since I've used win+[123456] to go to the respective virtual
desktops for years.

I've tried downgrading xorg-server and it didn't work. I've also tried
to change mingetty (which I've been using for years as well) by
agetty, no change either.

If I restart the xdm service (I use kdm) then everything works as
expected and I can use the windows key for my bindings.

Any idea on where to start looking or how to diagnose this?

Thanks everyone.

--
Jesús Guerrero Botella

Old 04-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Kfir Lavi

I am having this issue since a couple of days ago.

When I press the win key (alone) I am taken back to VT, which is quite

annoying since I've used win+[123456] to go to the respective virtual

desktops for years.

I've tried downgrading xorg-server and it didn't work. I've also tried

to change mingetty (which I've been using for years as well) by

agetty, no change either.

If I restart the xdm service (I use kdm) then everything works as

expected and I can use the windows key for my bindings.

Any idea on where to start looking or how to diagnose this?

Thanks everyone.

--

Jesús Guerrero Botella

Try to reset all shortcuts with:
setxkbmap -option

Maybe this will help, but not sure.

Kfir

Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Jesús J. Guerrero Botella

> Try to reset all shortcuts with:
> setxkbmap -option

It doesn't change anything. The problem starts in kdm, before loging
in, so it's nothing specific to a given user account.

I guess I could add a script to the local service to just restart xdm
automatically when booting. That would work around the issue for now
(untested, still), but that doesn't really fix the issue. I'd like to
know if this is a problem with my configuration, my OS, or whatever
else.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
--
Jesús Guerrero Botella

Old 04-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Jesús J. Guerrero Botella

El día 18 de abril de 2011 00:01, Jesús J. Guerrero Botella
<jesus.guerrero.botella@gmail.com> escribió:
>> Try to reset all shortcuts with:
>> setxkbmap -option
>
> It doesn't change anything. The problem starts in kdm, before loging
> in, so it's nothing specific to a given user account.

Oh, I forgot, it is nothing specific to kdm either. What I meant above
is that it happens since I enter X. Or rather, since this is the
default behavior in the console, we could more correctly say that it
*continues* happening when I enter X, where it should not happen.

I tested the lxde login manager and it has the same problem.

--
Jesús Guerrero Botella

Old 04-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Kfir Lavi

2011/4/18 Jesús J. Guerrero Botella <jesus.guerrero.botella@gmail.com>

El día 18 de abril de 2011 00:01, Jesús J. Guerrero Botella

<jesus.guerrero.botella@gmail.com> escribió:

>> Try to reset all shortcuts with:

>> setxkbmap -option

> It doesn't change anything. The problem starts in kdm, before loging

> in, so it's nothing specific to a given user account.

Oh, I forgot, it is nothing specific to kdm either. What I meant above

is that it happens since I enter X. Or rather, since this is the

default behavior in the console, we could more correctly say that it

*continues* happening when I enter X, where it should not happen.

I tested the lxde login manager and it has the same problem.

--

Jesús Guerrero Botella

What X drivers you have in your make.conf?

Kfir

Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Jesús J. Guerrero Botella

2011/4/20 Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@gmail.com>:

> What X drivers you have in your make.conf?
>
> Kfir

I only use the radeon driver for display and the evdev one for input.

--
Jesús Guerrero Botella

Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 AM
YoYo Siska

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 12:27:03AM +0200, Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
> El día 18 de abril de 2011 00:01, Jesús J. Guerrero Botella
> <jesus.guerrero.botella@gmail.com> escribió:
> >> Try to reset all shortcuts with:
> >> setxkbmap -option
> >
> > It doesn't change anything. The problem starts in kdm, before loging
> > in, so it's nothing specific to a given user account.
>
> Oh, I forgot, it is nothing specific to kdm either. What I meant above
> is that it happens since I enter X. Or rather, since this is the
> default behavior in the console, we could more correctly say that it
> *continues* happening when I enter X, where it should not happen.
>
> I tested the lxde login manager and it has the same problem.

It seems like X didn't switch the keyboard to raw mode or something like
this... The win key on linux console swithes to a previou vt (don't know
if it is intentional, or just a side effect of the kernel not correctly
handling it)

Sometimes, when an app freezes the whole X (usually when it grabs the
keyboard and freezes) I have to use the magic sysrq keys to "unraw" the
keyboard, which means I can that use alt-fX to swtich to text VTs, kill
the app and return to X... however from that moment on until I restart
X, the keyboard is not in raw mode and alt-fX and also the winkey switch
consoles (like you describe)

yoyo

Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Jesús J. Guerrero Botella

2011/4/20 YoYo Siska <yoyo@gl.ksp.sk>:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 12:27:03AM +0200, Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
>> >
>> > It doesn't change anything. The problem starts in kdm, before loging
>> > in, so it's nothing specific to a given user account.
>>
>> Oh, I forgot, it is nothing specific to kdm either. What I meant above
>> is that it happens since I enter X. Or rather, since this is the
>> default behavior in the console, we could more correctly say that it
>> *continues* happening when I enter X, where it should not happen.
>>
>> I tested the lxde login manager and it has the same problem.
>>

> It seems like X didn't switch the keyboard to raw mode or something like
> this... The win key on linux console swithes to a previou vt (don't know
> if it is intentional, or just a side effect of the kernel not correctly
> handling it)
>
> Sometimes, when an app freezes the whole X (usually when it grabs the
> keyboard and freezes) I have to use the magic sysrq keys to "unraw" the
> keyboard, which means I can that use alt-fX to swtich to text VTs, kill
> the app and return to X... however from that moment on until I restart
> X, the keyboard is not in raw mode and alt-fX and also the winkey switch
> consoles (like you describe)

This must be the key, but I still haven't found how to start digging
into this. In any case, if I manage to fix this I'll let everyone know
here. There must be a cause for this since I seem to be the only one
suffering this problem.

Thank you for all the pointers though, they might prove helpful sooner or later.

--
Jesús Guerrero Botella