Old 02-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Grant

Default Fake IMAP -> Real IMAP

My server's current IMAP setup is only used with squirrelmail so it
doesn't have to communicate over the internet. I'm trying to ditch
squirrelmail for claws-mail and I'm having a little trouble making the
transition. I'm using:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/virt-mail-howto.xml

I've taken a stab at configuring courier-imap and claws-mail, but I'm
kind of fumbling in the dark without an understanding of how the
pieces fit together. /var/log/mail/current doesn't show anything from
me.

I've generated an SSL cert for courier-imap and started
courier-imapd-ssl. Do I need to add that cert to claws-mail somehow?
Do I need to install cyrus-sasl for this?

- Grant

Old 02-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Dan Farrell

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 07:16:44 -0800
Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> My server's current IMAP setup is only used with squirrelmail so it
> doesn't have to communicate over the internet. I'm trying to ditch
> squirrelmail for claws-mail
good choice.
>and I'm having a little trouble making the
> transition. I'm using:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/virt-mail-howto.xml
>
> I've taken a stab at configuring courier-imap and claws-mail, but I'm
> kind of fumbling in the dark without an understanding of how the
> pieces fit together. /var/log/mail/current doesn't show anything from
> me.

i am confused why you're going all out with virtual mail, but I'm not
sure how to answer your question. my mail is in ~/.maildir/. you
might want to look a little closer at the logs.

> I've generated an SSL cert for courier-imap and started
> courier-imapd-ssl. Do I need to add that cert to claws-mail somehow?
no, it will take care of it for itself.

> Do I need to install cyrus-sasl for this?
for smtp authentication, i believe; I don't think you need it for IMAP
but am not sure. it's not a use flag for courier-imap.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Grant

> > My server's current IMAP setup is only used with squirrelmail so it
> > doesn't have to communicate over the internet. I'm trying to ditch
> > squirrelmail for claws-mail
> good choice.
> >and I'm having a little trouble making the
> > transition. I'm using:
> > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/virt-mail-howto.xml
> >
> > I've taken a stab at configuring courier-imap and claws-mail, but I'm
> > kind of fumbling in the dark without an understanding of how the
> > pieces fit together. /var/log/mail/current doesn't show anything from
> > me.
>
> i am confused why you're going all out with virtual mail, but I'm not
> sure how to answer your question. my mail is in ~/.maildir/. you
> might want to look a little closer at the logs.

I just don't have a good understanding of email. Can you give me an
idea of how you'd set this up? At this point I only need mail for
myself via claws-mail. I currently use postfix, courier-imap, and
squirrelmail, and my mail is in ~/.maildir/ too.

- Grant

Old 02-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Dan Farrell

my guess is that courier hasn't been told where to look for the mails.
If you can see them from squirrelmail but not imap, that's probably the
problem.

furthermore you can diagnose connection problems seperately from
missing mail problems. ( claws-mail has a convenient log feature for
connections. ) you may not be able to connect at all if you don't
make yourself a cert. (you probably read about that)

i am not using mysql, just plain maildirs. I don't remember
the howto I followed anymore (there seems to be so many) here's some
relevant config files, I hope they help you. Selections from the
directories in /etc have been provided here:

http://spore.ath.cx/~dan/confing/mail/

I don't think main.cf is relevant, but I included it anyway. I also
removed some of the files I know I didn't change/don't use. If you find
something lacking, let me know. And if you have any particular
questions, please go ahead.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:56 AM
Stroller

On 10 Feb 2008, at 01:23, Grant wrote:

I just don't have a good understanding of email. Can you give me an
idea of how you'd set this up? At this point I only need mail for
myself via claws-mail. I currently use postfix, courier-imap, and
squirrelmail, and my mail is in ~/.maildir/ too.

Well, I don't see why you changed Courier to virtuals.

When you connect with Squirrelmail it is simply connecting to the
IMAP server on hostname port 143 or 993. When it does so the IMAP
server says "hello, what's your username, password" and Squirrelmail
gives these. I don't see why you didn't point claws-mail at the same
IMAP server - all you'd have needed to do so, give it the same
username & password and Bob would have married your auntie in a big
ceremony with lots of flowers & confetti.

Squirrelmail might typically connect to the server on localhost using
unencrypted IMAP - on the same machine you should be able to connect
claws-mail the same way. You may wish then to configure the IMAP
server to allow connections from other addresses and to listen on
secure IMAPS / 993, but this is trivial (eg "SSLADDRESS=0" in /etc/
courier-imap/imapd-ssl).

You still need to connect to the same machine on secure IMAPS / 993,
but changing (from authentication based on Unix users??) to virtual
users has presumably broken your existing configuration (and ensured
that the server no longer knows where to look for your mail store),
so you need start again (largely) from scratch.

Stroller.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Grant

> my guess is that courier hasn't been told where to look for the mails.
> If you can see them from squirrelmail but not imap, that's probably the
> problem.

But squirrelmail doesn't work if I stop imapd, so imapd must know
where the mail is and squirrelmail must be using imapd right?

> furthermore you can diagnose connection problems seperately from
> missing mail problems. ( claws-mail has a convenient log feature for
> connections. ) you may not be able to connect at all if you don't
> make yourself a cert. (you probably read about that)

Is that .claws-mail/claws.log? That file is 0 bytes for me.

> i am not using mysql, just plain maildirs. I don't remember
> the howto I followed anymore (there seems to be so many) here's some
> relevant config files, I hope they help you. Selections from the
> directories in /etc have been provided here:

I'm not using mysql either. I was just using pieces from that howto.

- Grant

Old 02-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Grant

> > I just don't have a good understanding of email. Can you give me an
> > idea of how you'd set this up? At this point I only need mail for
> > myself via claws-mail. I currently use postfix, courier-imap, and
> > squirrelmail, and my mail is in ~/.maildir/ too.
>
> Well, I don't see why you changed Courier to virtuals.

I don't think I'm using virtuals. I was only using pieces of that
virtuals howto. I'm still trying to figure all this out.

> When you connect with Squirrelmail it is simply connecting to the
> IMAP server on hostname port 143 or 993. When it does so the IMAP
> server says "hello, what's your username, password" and Squirrelmail
> gives these. I don't see why you didn't point claws-mail at the same
> IMAP server - all you'd have needed to do so, give it the same
> username & password and Bob would have married your auntie in a big
> ceremony with lots of flowers & confetti.

Because claws-mail is here and imap is there and I don't want to send
the password unencrypted. I think the only thing I'm trying to do
differently now is connect to imapd-ssl instead of imapd.

> Squirrelmail might typically connect to the server on localhost using
> unencrypted IMAP - on the same machine you should be able to connect
> claws-mail the same way. You may wish then to configure the IMAP
> server to allow connections from other addresses and to listen on
> secure IMAPS / 993, but this is trivial (eg "SSLADDRESS=0" in /etc/
> courier-imap/imapd-ssl).

I started imapd-ssl with those settings the other day. That's how
I've been trying to connect with no luck. I don't know if it's a
certificate problem or something else. Should I copy
/etc/courier-imap/imapd.pem from the remote server to somewhere on the
local machine for claws-mail? The claws-mail manual is no help here.

Should I be using my remote server's IP address for the server names
in the claws-mail config? Should IMAP4 authentication method be
Automatic?

- Grant

Old 02-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Stroller

On 10 Feb 2008, at 20:05, Grant wrote:

I just don't have a good understanding of email. Can you give me an
idea of how you'd set this up? At this point I only need mail for
myself via claws-mail. I currently use postfix, courier-imap, and
squirrelmail, and my mail is in ~/.maildir/ too.

Well, I don't see why you changed Courier to virtuals.

I don't think I'm using virtuals. I was only using pieces of that
virtuals howto. I'm still trying to figure all this out.

Please excuse me. I appear to have followed an assumption made by a

When you connect with Squirrelmail it is simply connecting to the
IMAP server on hostname port 143 or 993. When it does so the IMAP
server says "hello, what's your username, password" and Squirrelmail
gives these. I don't see why you didn't point claws-mail at the same
IMAP server - all you'd have needed to do so, give it the same
username & password and Bob would have married your auntie in a big
ceremony with lots of flowers & confetti.

Because claws-mail is here and imap is there and I don't want to send
the password unencrypted. I think the only thing I'm trying to do
differently now is connect to imapd-ssl instead of imapd.

Well, do it once to prove the point. Then change your password & move
to the next step.

I actually intended for you to use claws-mail on the same machine as
the IMAP server - use `ssh -X` if necessary - just so you could see
how it's set up.

Is Squirrelmail still working, connecting to the 143 port? Have you
tried changing it to connect via IMAPS?

... You may wish then to configure the IMAP
server to allow connections from other addresses and to listen on
secure IMAPS / 993, but this is trivial (eg "SSLADDRESS=0" in /etc/
courier-imap/imapd-ssl).

I started imapd-ssl with those settings the other day. That's how
I've been trying to connect with no luck.

Have you run "/etc/init.d/courier-imapd-ssl start"?

Does `lsof` or `netstat` indicate the server is listening on the
IMAPS port?

Have you tried port-scanning the server using nmap?
Have you tried doing so from localhost?

I don't know if it's a
certificate problem or something else. Should I copy
/etc/courier-imap/imapd.pem from the remote server to somewhere on the
local machine for claws-mail?

I doubt it. I've never had to do anything like that. Your mail client
will normally just pop up a "moody certificate" error which you can
tell it to ignore.

Should I be using my remote server's IP address for the server names
in the claws-mail config? Should IMAP4 authentication method be
Automatic?

Yes, that should be fine.

Stroller.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Grant

> >> When you connect with Squirrelmail it is simply connecting to the
> >> IMAP server on hostname port 143 or 993. When it does so the IMAP
> >> server says "hello, what's your username, password" and Squirrelmail
> >> gives these. I don't see why you didn't point claws-mail at the same
> >> IMAP server - all you'd have needed to do so, give it the same
> >> username & password and Bob would have married your auntie in a big
> >> ceremony with lots of flowers & confetti.
> >
> > Because claws-mail is here and imap is there and I don't want to send
> > the password unencrypted. I think the only thing I'm trying to do
> > differently now is connect to imapd-ssl instead of imapd.
>
> Well, do it once to prove the point. Then change your password & move
> to the next step.
>
> I actually intended for you to use claws-mail on the same machine as
> the IMAP server - use `ssh -X` if necessary - just so you could see
> how it's set up.
>
> Is Squirrelmail still working, connecting to the 143 port? Have you
> tried changing it to connect via IMAPS?
>
> >> ... You may wish then to configure the IMAP
> >> server to allow connections from other addresses and to listen on
> >> secure IMAPS / 993, but this is trivial (eg "SSLADDRESS=0" in /etc/
> >> courier-imap/imapd-ssl).
> >
> > I started imapd-ssl with those settings the other day. That's how
> > I've been trying to connect with no luck.
>
> Have you run "/etc/init.d/courier-imapd-ssl start"?
>
> Does `lsof` or `netstat` indicate the server is listening on the
> IMAPS port?
> Have you tried port-scanning the server using nmap?
> Have you tried doing so from localhost?

I actually needed to "rebuild folder tree" in claws-mail. I should
have believed the pop-up.

I still can't send mail though, with or without authentication. I get
this when port scanning with nmap:

25/tcp filtered smtp

Does that mean my host is blocking the smtp port?

- Grant

Old 02-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Grant

> >> Well, I don't see why you changed Courier to virtuals.
> >
> > I don't think I'm using virtuals. I was only using pieces of that
> > virtuals howto. I'm still trying to figure all this out.
>
> Please excuse me. I appear to have followed an assumption made by a
>
> >> When you connect with Squirrelmail it is simply connecting to the
> >> IMAP server on hostname port 143 or 993. When it does so the IMAP
> >> server says "hello, what's your username, password" and Squirrelmail
> >> gives these. I don't see why you didn't point claws-mail at the same
> >> IMAP server - all you'd have needed to do so, give it the same
> >> username & password and Bob would have married your auntie in a big
> >> ceremony with lots of flowers & confetti.
> >
> > Because claws-mail is here and imap is there and I don't want to send
> > the password unencrypted. I think the only thing I'm trying to do
> > differently now is connect to imapd-ssl instead of imapd.
>
> Well, do it once to prove the point. Then change your password & move
> to the next step.
>
> I actually intended for you to use claws-mail on the same machine as
> the IMAP server - use `ssh -X` if necessary - just so you could see
> how it's set up.
>
> Is Squirrelmail still working, connecting to the 143 port? Have you
> tried changing it to connect via IMAPS?
>
> >> ... You may wish then to configure the IMAP
> >> server to allow connections from other addresses and to listen on
> >> secure IMAPS / 993, but this is trivial (eg "SSLADDRESS=0" in /etc/
> >> courier-imap/imapd-ssl).
> >
> > I started imapd-ssl with those settings the other day. That's how
> > I've been trying to connect with no luck.
>
> Have you run "/etc/init.d/courier-imapd-ssl start"?
>
> Does `lsof` or `netstat` indicate the server is listening on the
> IMAPS port?
> Have you tried port-scanning the server using nmap?
> Have you tried doing so from localhost?
>
> > I don't know if it's a
> > certificate problem or something else. Should I copy
> > /etc/courier-imap/imapd.pem from the remote server to somewhere on the
> > local machine for claws-mail?
>
> I doubt it. I've never had to do anything like that. Your mail client
> will normally just pop up a "moody certificate" error which you can
> tell it to ignore.
>
> > Should I be using my remote server's IP address for the server names
> > in the claws-mail config? Should IMAP4 authentication method be
> > Automatic?
>
> Yes, that should be fine.

Does anyone know if claws-mail-smime is the gpg plugin? If so, should
it show up under Privacy or Plugins once I've emerged it?

- Grant