Old 02-09-2008, 10:17 AM
"dell core2duo"

Default kernel-2.6.24 + ndiswrapper

Hi all,
** I was using kernel 2.6.23 till now and everything was working pretty well.
*My wireless card is ---0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01).
It was working fine with kernel 2.6.23 with ndiswrapper. Yesterday i upgraded to kernel 2.4.26. And my wireless card

stopped working.* It says that eth1 does not exist.
Some important out are below
flukebox # ndiswrapper -l

bcmwl5 : driver installed
*** device (14E4:4311) present
flukebox # /etc/init.d/net.eth1 start
** Starting eth1
****** /etc/conf.d/wireless is deprecated
****** Please put all settings in /etc/conf.d/net

****** /etc/conf.d/wireless is deprecated
****** Please put all settings in /etc/conf.d/net
**** Configuration not set for eth1 - assuming DHCP
**** Bringing up eth1
****** dhcp
******** network interface eth1 does not exist

******** Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver)****************************************** ******************************** [ !! ]
flukebox #

I didn't have any kernel built-in module for bcmxx .
Can somebody help me here. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,
flukebox

Old 02-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Ian Lee

dell core2duo wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was using kernel 2.6.23 till now and everything was working
> pretty well.
> My wireless card is ---0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom
> Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01).
> It was working fine with kernel 2.6.23 with ndiswrapper. Yesterday i
> upgraded to kernel 2.4.26. And my wireless card
> stopped working. It says that eth1 does not exist.
> Some important out are below
> flukebox # ndiswrapper -l
> bcmwl5 : driver installed
> device (14E4:4311) present
> flukebox # /etc/init.d/net.eth1 start
> * Starting eth1
> * /etc/conf.d/wireless is deprecated
> * Please put all settings in /etc/conf.d/net
> * /etc/conf.d/wireless is deprecated
> * Please put all settings in /etc/conf.d/net
> * Configuration not set for eth1 - assuming DHCP
> * Bringing up eth1
> * dhcp
> * network interface eth1 does not exist
> * Please verify hardware or kernel module
> (driver)
> [ !! ]
> flukebox #
>
> I didn't have any kernel built-in module for bcmxx .
> Can somebody help me here. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> TIA,
> flukebox

Have u rebuilt the ndiswprapper kernel module for the new kernel?
try reinstalling ndiswrapper

Old 02-09-2008, 10:37 AM
"dell core2duo"

Yes,
I have already* rebuild all my drivers through "revdep-rebuild".
More over i am not able to find any eth1/wlan0* interface.

flukebox flukebox # ifconfig
eth0***** Link encap:Ethernet* HWaddr 00:19:B9:80:97:66*
********* inet addr:172.24.0.234* Bcast:172.24.7.255* Mask:255.255.248.0

********* inet6 addr: fe80::219:b9ff:fe80:9766/64 Scope:Link
********* UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST* MTU:1500* Metric:1
********* RX packets:403919 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
********* TX packets:66919 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
********* RX bytes:156546805 (149.2 Mb)* TX bytes:6978869 (6.6 Mb)
********* Interrupt:16

lo******* Link encap:Local Loopback*
********* inet addr:127.0.0.1* Mask:255.0.0.0

********* inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
********* UP LOOPBACK RUNNING* MTU:16436* Metric:1
********* RX packets:759 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
********* TX packets:759 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
********* RX bytes:833199 (813.6 Kb)* TX bytes:833199 (813.6 Kb)

flukebox flukebox # iwconfig
lo******* no wireless extensions.

eth0***** no wireless extensions.

sit0***** no wireless extensions.

ip6tnl0** no wireless extensions.

flukebox flukebox #

thanks,

flukebox

Old 02-09-2008, 10:40 AM
"dell core2duo"

On Feb 9, 2008 5:24 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@unlimitedmail.org> wrote:

On Saturday 9 February 2008, dell core2duo wrote:

> Hi all,
> * *I was using kernel 2.6.23 till now and everything was working
> pretty well.
> *My wireless card is ---0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom

> Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01).
> It was working fine with kernel 2.6.23 with ndiswrapper. Yesterday i
> upgraded to kernel 2.4.26. And my wireless card
> stopped working. *It says that eth1 does not exist.

IIRC, the drivers for your card are now included in the kernel (bcm43xx).
Does those driver provide the full features as ndiswrappers ??

thanks,
flukebox

*

Old 02-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Etaoin Shrdlu

Old 02-09-2008, 11:02 AM
"dell core2duo"

Hi
check this link,
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Dell_Inspiron_1520#Wireless_Network

It says that
<snip>
You should install the Windows driver from Dell if you would like to
take advantage of the full bandwith of your WLAN card (meaning 54
MBit/s).

!!FIXME!! If you would like to use the kernel driver, probably you can but only with limited (11 MBit/s) bandwith.
</snip>

BTW,
* I am more interested to get things working. Quality would be my second priority.

Thanks,
flukebox

On Feb 9, 2008 5:42 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@unlimitedmail.org> wrote:

On Saturday 9 February 2008, dell core2duo wrote:

> > IIRC, the drivers for your card are now included in the kernel
> > (bcm43xx).
>
> Does those driver provide the full features as ndiswrappers ??

Don't know what you mean exactly by "full features". I have used them in
infrastructure mode with no problems (wpa2). However, here's the
official page:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

according to

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/devices

your card (14E4:4311) is supported.

You need the firmware for the card, and the appropriate *-cutter tool to

extract the firmware from the driver (it's in portage).
Detailed info and step-by-step instructions are provided in the
aforementioned page.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Etaoin Shrdlu

Old 02-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Saturday 9 February 2008, dell core2duo wrote:

> Hi
> check this link,
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Dell_Inspiron_1520#Wireless_Network
>
> It says that
> <snip>
> You should install the Windows driver from Dell if you would like to
> take advantage of the full bandwith of your WLAN card (meaning 54
> MBit/s). !!FIXME!! If you would like to use the kernel driver,
> probably you can but only with limited (11 MBit/s) bandwith.
> </snip>

Uhm, the b43 page does not mention this. I guess you just have to try and
see. Personally, I always prefer in-kernel drivers rather than external
when possible, especially in this case where the external driver is
actually a kludge around windows drivers.

> BTW,
> I am more interested to get things working. Quality would be my
> second priority.

As I said before, I did not have any problem (unfortunately, I cannot
access the hardware now and check the bandwidth issue).

Old 02-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Dan Farrell

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 13:28:39 +0100
Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@unlimitedmail.org> wrote:

> > BTW,
> > I am more interested to get things working. Quality would be my
> > second priority.
>
> As I said before, I did not have any problem (unfortunately, I cannot
> access the hardware now and check the bandwidth issue).

I have not yet gotten the new driver to work, though admittedly I
didn't have much time to try and so went for ndiswrapper pretty
quickly.

has anyone had luck with this driver recently?

Old 02-12-2008, 04:08 PM
"dell core2duo"

Hi,
* I complied the kernel buitin broadcom drivers. So now,* I have a interface named "wlan0_rename".
*But things are still not working for me.

flukebox flukebox # iwconfig
lo******* no wireless extensions.

eth0***** no wireless extensions.

sit0***** no wireless extensions.

ip6tnl0** no wireless extensions.

eth1***** no wireless extensions.

wlan0_rename* IEEE 802.11g* ESSID:""*
********* Mode:Managed* Channel:0* Access Point: Not-Associated**
********* Tx-Power=0 dBm**
********* Retry min limit:7** RTS thrff** Fragment thr=2346 B**

********* Encryption keyff
********* Link Quality:0* Signal level:0* Noise level:0
********* Rx invalid nwid:0* Rx invalid crypt:0* Rx invalid frag:0
********* Tx excessive retries:0* Invalid misc:0** Missed beacon:0

flukebox flukebox # /etc/init.d/net.wlan0_rename start
** Starting wlan0_rename
****** /etc/conf.d/wireless is deprecated
****** Please put all settings in /etc/conf.d/net
****** /etc/conf.d/wireless is deprecated

****** Please put all settings in /etc/conf.d/net
**** Starting wpa_supplicant on wlan0_rename ...
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported***************************************** ************************ [ ok ]th param 5 value 0x1 -

****** Backgrounding ...

I guess* "param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported " this has something to do with wpa_suplicant.
can somebody help me out here ??
Also, is there any way to change my interface name wlan0_rename to wlan0 or eth1 ??

TIA,
flukebox

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 13:28:39 +0100