-   -   How to tell Cron X is running or not (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/5038-how-tell-cron-x-running-not.html)

11-26-2007 12:27 AM

How to tell Cron X is running or not

Scripts that test for X running might work in a shell but not when the
script is run by cron.

For example: This code:
tty|grep pts
retval=$?
if [[ $retval > 0 ]];then
print "X isn't running just now... postponing rsync of WWW
until such time as it is... exiting"
exit
fi

Runs fine when run from a user shell, but when cron runs it the test
always fails to be true.

So how can I test for X running in case where script will be run by cron?

"Andrey Falko" 11-26-2007 12:56 AM

On Nov 25, 2007 8:27 PM, <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

Scripts that test for X running might work in a shell but not when the
script is run by cron.

For example: *This code:
*tty|grep pts
*retval=$?
*if [[ $retval > 0 ]];then
* *print "X isn't running just now... postponing rsync of WWW

* *until such time as it is... exiting"
* *exit
*fi

Runs fine when run from a user shell, but when cron runs it the test
always fails to be true.

So how can I test for X running in case where script will be run by cron?

How about something like this:* retval=`ps aux | grep tty | grep X | awk '{print $2}'`

Or retval=`cat /tmp/.X0-lock`

Or even better:

if [[ -e "/tmp/.X0-lock" ]];then

*

11-26-2007 01:40 AM

"Andrey Falko" <ma3oxuct@gmail.com> writes:

> How about something like this: retval=`ps aux | grep tty | grep X | awk
> '{print $2}'`
>
> Or retval=`cat /tmp/.X0-lock`
>
> Or even better:
>
> if [[ -e "/tmp/.X0-lock" ]];then

Yup, both of those should work from cron or anywhere. In my case and
probably many other as well, I could shorten the ps approach to:
ps aux|grep '[X] :0'

But looking for /tmp/.X0-lock is probably the most reliable. Thanks

11-26-2007 05:35 AM

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 08:40:08PM -0600, reader@newsguy.com wrote:
> Yup, both of those should work from cron or anywhere. In my case and
> probably many other as well, I could shorten the ps approach to:
> ps aux|grep '[X] :0'
>
> But looking for /tmp/.X0-lock is probably the most reliable. Thanks

Try xdpyinfo. If $DISPLAY is not set, try xdpyinfo -display :0.0 for
the usual main display. ssh -X -Y makes up its own names, but you
haev to figure out whether cron programs should even know about the
display in general, or the ssh ones in particular.

At any rate, try this:

if xdpyinfo >/dev/null; then echo "X running"; else echo "No X"; fi

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Neil Bothwick 11-26-2007 07:03 AM

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:40:08 -0600, reader@newsguy.com wrote:

> Yup, both of those should work from cron or anywhere. In my case and
> probably many other as well, I could shorten the ps approach to:
> ps aux|grep '[X] :0'

Or use "pidof X".

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 46: Found missing

11-26-2007 05:14 PM

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> writes:

> pidof X

Vey nice ...
Neil are those green bananas on your head or leaves?