-   -   ruby gems versus emerge (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/49967-ruby-gems-versus-emerge.html)

Thufir 02-07-2008 10:56 PM

ruby gems versus emerge

I installed the "fastercsv" gem via gems rather than emerge :(

From http://packages.gentoo.org/category/dev-ruby?full_cat I don't even
see that package listed.

Are gems supposed to be installed via emerge?

thanks,

Thufir

"Mike Mazur" 02-08-2008 07:11 AM

ruby gems versus emerge

Hi Thufir,

On Feb 8, 2008 8:56 AM, Thufir <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed the "fastercsv" gem via gems rather than emerge :(
>
> From http://packages.gentoo.org/category/dev-ruby?full_cat I don't even
> see that package listed.
>
> Are gems supposed to be installed via emerge?

I think the gems that make it into portage are ones the devs need.
There's been a few that I've used that aren't in portage.

As to which one you should use, I'm not sure. Personal preference?

Mike

Thomas Pani 02-08-2008 08:50 AM

ruby gems versus emerge

Thufir wrote:
> I installed the "fastercsv" gem via gems rather than emerge :(
>
> From http://packages.gentoo.org/category/dev-ruby?full_cat I don't even
> see that package listed.
>
> Are gems supposed to be installed via emerge?
Yes. There's a gems eclass that handles installing gems, making
gems-ebuils fairly easy. Have a look at, for example, the
dev-ruby/camping ebuild.

Oh, and there's an ebuild request (bug #209319) for dev-ruby/fastercsv,
including an ebuild submission. Just get it and put it in your local
overlay (or set one up, if you haven't already) :).

Cheers,
thomas

Thufir 02-16-2008 12:29 AM

ruby gems versus emerge

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:50:28 +0100, Thomas Pani wrote:

>> Are gems supposed to be installed via emerge?
> Yes. There's a gems eclass that handles installing gems, making
> gems-ebuils fairly easy. Have a look at, for example, the
> dev-ruby/camping ebuild.
>
> Oh, and there's an ebuild request (bug #209319) for dev-ruby/fastercsv,
> including an ebuild submission. Just get it and put it in your local
> overlay (or set one up, if you haven't already) .

I'll take a look at that, thank you :)

-Thufir