Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 PM
"Hilco Wijbenga"

Default USB Mouse

I have a USB mouse which likes to freeze up every now and then.
Whenever I don't use my box for a little while (not necessarily long
enough for the screen saver to kick in) and then touch the mouse, it
will freeze right away or within a few seconds. Leaving X and starting
X again doesn't fix the problem: I have to actually reboot.

The only "solution" I have found is to make sure I use the keyboard to
"wake up" the system. If I touch a key and wait a few seconds (that's
important; if I use the mouse too fast it may still freeze up), I can
safely use the mouse again without any trouble.

So it looks like the USB mouse is going to sleep after a short period
of inactivity and then refuses to wake up ... unless I use the
keyboard first. There's a "USB selective suspend/resume and wakeup" in
the kernel which I have made sure to deselect but that doesn't fix the
problem.

Does anyone else have this problem? Can anyone explain to me why this
is happening? Does anyone know of a real solution?

P.S. I have been running with the sys-kernel/mm-sources kernel which
seems to behave much better but it's not officially supported so I
went back to the regular sys-kernel/gentoo-sources kernel. I notice
it's improved since the last time I tried it (i.e. the mouse doesn't
freeze up as often anymore).

Old 02-11-2008, 10:32 PM
"Hilco Wijbenga"

On Feb 7, 2008 12:23 PM, Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a USB mouse which likes to freeze up every now and then.
> Whenever I don't use my box for a little while (not necessarily long
> enough for the screen saver to kick in) and then touch the mouse, it
> will freeze right away or within a few seconds. Leaving X and starting
> X again doesn't fix the problem: I have to actually reboot.
>
> The only "solution" I have found is to make sure I use the keyboard to
> "wake up" the system. If I touch a key and wait a few seconds (that's
> important; if I use the mouse too fast it may still freeze up), I can
> safely use the mouse again without any trouble.
>
> So it looks like the USB mouse is going to sleep after a short period
> of inactivity and then refuses to wake up ... unless I use the
> keyboard first. There's a "USB selective suspend/resume and wakeup" in
> the kernel which I have made sure to deselect but that doesn't fix the
> problem.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem? Can anyone explain to me why this
> is happening? Does anyone know of a real solution?
>
> P.S. I have been running with the sys-kernel/mm-sources kernel which
> seems to behave much better but it's not officially supported so I
> went back to the regular sys-kernel/gentoo-sources kernel. I notice
> it's improved since the last time I tried it (i.e. the mouse doesn't
> freeze up as often anymore).

Anyone?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Philip Webb

On Feb 7, 2008 12:23 PM, Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a USB mouse which likes to freeze up every now and then.
> Whenever I don't use my box for a little while (not necessarily long
> enough for the screen saver to kick in) and then touch the mouse, it
> will freeze right away or within a few seconds. Leaving X and starting
> X again doesn't fix the problem: I have to actually reboot.
> The only "solution" I have found is to make sure I use the keyboard to
> "wake up" the system. If I touch a key and wait a few seconds (that's
> important; if I use the mouse too fast it may still freeze up), I can
> safely use the mouse again without any trouble.
> So it looks like the USB mouse is going to sleep after a short period
> of inactivity and then refuses to wake up ... unless I use the
> keyboard first. There's a "USB selective suspend/resume and wakeup" in
> the kernel which I have made sure to deselect but that doesn't fix the
> problem.

It looks like a hardware problem: have you tried a variety of mouses ?
Have you tried plugging onto all your USB ports ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto

Old 09-28-2008, 06:31 AM
David Baron

I have a logitec USB/PS2 optical mouse,
the el cheapo.

*

I had been using it with the ps2 adapter
until I booted up and BIOS kicked about the keyboard. Taking out that connector
enabled me to boot. So I plugged the mouse into the USB and it simply worked. Hats
off.

*

Next time I booted up, it did not work.
Unplugging and replugging it and voile.

*

Next time I booted up, it did not work and
reconnecting also did not work. I get the disconnect notification notice
identifying the mouse, etc. I do not get the connect notice like I did the last
time.

*

So … how do I get this to work
reliably?

Old 09-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Kent West

David Baron wrote:

> I have a logitec USB/PS2 optical mouse, the el cheapo.
>

> I had been using it with the ps2 adapter until I booted up and BIOS
> kicked about the keyboard. Taking out that connector enabled me to
> boot. So I plugged the mouse into the USB and it simply worked. Hats off.
>

> Next time I booted up, it did not work. Unplugging and replugging it
> and voile.
>

> Next time I booted up, it did not work and reconnecting also did not
> work. I get the disconnect notification notice identifying the mouse,
> etc. I do not get the connect notice like I did the last time.
>

> So … how do I get this to work reliably?

1. Perhaps the mouse is becoming flakey? After all, it worked for a
while, then suddenly started generating errors about the keyboard via
the PS/2 connector, and it is an "el cheapo" mouse.

2. You have gpm installed, but have it configured for a PS/2 mouse.

3. Your xorg.conf file is expecting a PS/2 mouse, but sometimes can
over-ride that expectation depending on the weather and the alignment of
the planets.

4. Your mobo is becoming flakey?

5. Your USB subsystem / devsys is not initializing properly.

I think I'd start by suspecting the mouse of getting flakey.

--
Kent West <")))><

Old 09-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Kent West wrote:

David Baron wrote:

[...]

I second that. Get another mouse and try that.

Hugo

Old 09-29-2008, 07:44 AM
David Baron

On Sunday 28 September 2008 20:03:08 debian-user-digest-
request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > I have a logitec USB/PS2 optical mouse, the el cheapo.
> >
> > *
> >
> > I had been using it with the ps2 adapter until I booted up and BIOS
> > kicked about the keyboard. Taking out that connector enabled me to
> > boot. So I plugged the mouse into the USB and it simply worked. Hats off.
> >
> > *
> >
> > Next time I booted up, it did not work. Unplugging and replugging it
> > and voile.
> >
> > *
> >
> > Next time I booted up, it did not work and reconnecting also did not
> > work. I get the disconnect notification notice identifying the mouse,
> > etc. I do not get the connect notice like I did the last time.
> >
> > *
> >
> > So … how do I get this to work reliably?
>
> 1. Perhaps the mouse is becoming flakey? After all, it worked for a
> while, then suddenly started generating errors about the keyboard via
> the PS/2 connector, and it is an "el cheapo" mouse.
>
> 2. You have gpm installed, but have it configured for a PS/2 mouse.
>
> 3. Your xorg.conf file is expecting a PS/2 mouse, but sometimes can
> over-ride that expectation depending on the weather and the alignment of
> the planets.
>
> 4. Your mobo is becoming flakey?
>
> 5. *Your USB subsystem / devsys is not initializing properly.
>
> I think I'd start by suspecting the mouse of getting flakey.

... or the cable and the USB plug. A little jiggle and everyone is happy (as
long as hands are off after that.)

Old 10-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom