Old 02-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Thomas Kahle

Default Power Drain during Suspend to Disk

Old 02-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Iain Buchanan

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 20:34 +0100, Thomas Kahle wrote:

> Hi all
> for some time now, maybe since I updated to Kernel 2.6.23, I experience
> power drain during suspend to disk (yes, you read correctly DISK).
> I'm using an IBM Thinkpad X30 and the problem is recent. I assume that
> its some kernel option keeping the ethernet alive for wake on lan, or
> something like that.
> Has anyone experienced this, and/or knows kernel options that can be
> responsible for that ?

A laptop I assume?!

Are you sure you don't have the same drain when powering off? in my
experience, WOL is always a bios setting - did you look there?

What happens if you suspend to disk, then take the battery out for a few
minutes or more - can you resume? (put it back in of course)

HTH,

Consensus Terrorism:
The process that decides in-office attitudes and behavior.
-- Douglas Coupland, "Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated
Culture"

Old 02-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Thomas Kahle

Old 02-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Iain Buchanan

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 08:22 +0100, Thomas Kahle wrote:

> > What happens if you suspend to disk, then take the battery out for a few
> > minutes or more - can you resume? (put it back in of course)
> Yes it does come back. I have to see if there it is eating battery after
> putting it back in. Probably not, I think just something is not turned
> of when going to sleep...

well, AFAIK suspend and poweroff both actually power off the same way,
so I don't understand why this only happens when you suspend. The only
difference I can see is that in one case you unload modules and call
init stop scripts. Perhaps unload the network module or stop a few
scripts before suspending and see what happends.

So, what can drain power while turned off? There's WOL, WOM, and ? Did
you check that these wake up features are turned off in the BIOS?

HTH,

What causes the mysterious death of everyone?

Old 02-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Thomas Kahle