Old 02-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Rasmus Andersen

Default My portage is hosed (segfaults) and I dont know why...

Hello,

It seems that my portage or python installation or the combination
thereof has become borked. Whenever I run a portage-related program
(emerge, eclean, portageq, etc) I get segfaults. Due to these being
scripts, gdb is not of much help... I am able to start python normally
and get it to add numbers so python is not completely hosed. But I lack
another python program of substance to test whats wrong. The last thing
I emerged successfully was iptables and it seems unlikely that they had
an influence on python/portage.

Thinking again I have rdiff-backup around. Testing that shows a small
backup to go ok and a largish backup to fail with sigsegv. The box as
such is busy enough, memorywise, and survives parallel kernel compiles
and untars fine.

So, I guess I have two questions: One, do anyone have a reasonable
opinion of what is wrong? Failing that, two: How do I reestablish python
and/or portage with the least pain? I have both in my PKGDIR, can I
'just' untar them on top of the existing installation?

Thanks,
Rasmus

Old 02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 16:31:29 +0100, Rasmus Andersen wrote:

> How do I reestablish python
> and/or portage with the least pain? I have both in my PKGDIR, can I
> 'just' untar them on top of the existing installation?

Yes, untar then in /, ignoring the warning about invalid data at the end
(this is metadata added by portage). Once things are working again,
re-emerge them properly.

--
Neil Bothwick

The present never ages. Each moment is like a snowflake, unique,
unspoiled, unrepeatable, and can be appreciated in its surprisingness.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:45 PM

Rasmus Andersen <rasmus@avlebavle.dk>
07/02/2008 16:31
Por favor, responda a gentoo-user

[...]

********

How about booting from a Live-CD, stablishing a working environment and
running "emerge --ask --verbose --emptytree system"? That would take some
time, but should fix things right away.