-   -   automounting usb drives (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/494260-automounting-usb-drives.html)

Dale 02-26-2011 12:42 AM

automounting usb drives

luis jure wrote:

hello list,

i'm old-fashioned and i never cared for this automount thing, but now i
have two pen drives and two usb hard disks that i have to mount and umount
all the time, and doing it by hand every time is beginning to be very
annoying...

i see that distributions like ubuntu and others have this feature by
default: you plug in a pen drive and it creates a mount point under /media
and mounts the device there. but i have no idea to get something like that
working on my gentoo machine. i searched the web, but the documents i
found on the subject are somewhat contradictory and all of them too old
for comfort.

any hints about a standard "gentoo way" to achieve this?

by the way, i use xfce, so i can't use tools specific for kde or gnome, if
they exist.

best,

lj

I know what xfce is but not have no experience with it. Would this help?

[i] sys-fs/udisks
Available versions: 1.0.1-r1!t{tbz2} 1.0.2!t{tbz2}
{bash-completion debug doc nls remote-access}
Installed versions: 1.0.2!t{tbz2}(18:36:11 02/25/11)(nls
-bash-completion -debug -doc -remote-access)

Homepage: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/udisks
storage devices

* xfce-extra/xfce4-mount-plugin
Available versions: 0.5.5 {debug}
Homepage: http://www.xfce.org/

That last one should put you on the right path for sure.

Hope the helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Nikos Chantziaras 02-26-2011 03:00 AM

automounting usb drives

i see that distributions like ubuntu and others have this feature by
default: you plug in a pen drive and it creates a mount point under /media
and mounts the device there. but i have no idea to get something like that
working on my gentoo machine.

Make sure you have udev enabled for your desktop environment. Or HAL,
if it doesn't support udev. Then it will just work.

luis jure 02-26-2011 10:40 AM

automounting usb drives

on 2011-02-26 at 06:00 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

>Make sure you have udev enabled for your desktop environment. Or HAL,
>if it doesn't support udev. Then it will just work.

hi nikos, the only package in xfce that has a flag for udev is
xfce-base/xfce4-session and it is set. i-m afraid it doesn't just work...

luis jure 02-26-2011 10:43 AM

automounting usb drives

on 2011-02-25 at 19:42 Dale wrote:

>* xfce-extra/xfce4-mount-plugin
> Available versions: 0.5.5 {debug}
> Homepage: http://www.xfce.org/
>
>That last one should put you on the right path for sure.

hi dale, i do have the mount panel plugin already, but it's just an
interface to what's in fstab. not very useful when you have several usb
disks and pendrives with different file systems on them, that you want to
mount on the fly...

Marc Joliet 02-26-2011 11:42 AM

automounting usb drives

Am Fri, 25 Feb 2011 23:31:07 -0200
schrieb luis jure <ljc@internet.com.uy>:

> hello list,

Hi,

> i'm old-fashioned and i never cared for this automount thing, but now i
> have two pen drives and two usb hard disks that i have to mount and umount
> all the time, and doing it by hand every time is beginning to be very
> annoying...
>
> i see that distributions like ubuntu and others have this feature by
> default: you plug in a pen drive and it creates a mount point under /media
> and mounts the device there. but i have no idea to get something like that
> working on my gentoo machine. i searched the web, but the documents i
> found on the subject are somewhat contradictory and all of them too old
> for comfort.
>
> any hints about a standard "gentoo way" to achieve this?
>
> by the way, i use xfce, so i can't use tools specific for kde or gnome, if
> they exist.

It seems that for Xfce you want the Thunar Volume Manager plugin
(xfce-extra/thunar-volman):
http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/thunar-plugins/thunar-volman

Otherwise, I know of three modern (i.e. udev or udisks based) desktop
independent ways for auto-mounting:
- uam
A udev based auto-mounter. It doesn't mount CD/DVD/etc. drives (because, well,
it's udev-based), but otherwise worked flawlessly on my machine.
- udiskie
A udisks based auto-mounter, doesn't work properly for me, i.e. one of
my USB sticks wouldn't mount, apparently because udisks flagged it as
non-automountable.
- udisks-glue
A udisks based tool that can execute arbitrary commands on udisks events, e.g.
auto-mount disks.

(My personal preference is currently udisks-glue.)

HTH
--
Marc Joliet

luis jure 02-26-2011 12:30 PM

automounting usb drives

hi marc,

>It seems that for Xfce you want the Thunar Volume Manager plugin

i had already installed this plugin, but it doesn't seem to do much: an
icon for the device appears on the side panel, but no corresponding mount
point is created under /media. when i click on the icon a "Not Authorized"
message appears.

>Otherwise, I know of three modern (i.e. udev or udisks based) desktop
>independent ways for auto-mounting:

thanks for the suggestions. i'm thinking of giving udiskie a try, but i'm
unable to find any documentation about it: what am i supposed to do after
installation? anything to configure, init scripts to run?

alles gute,

lj

luis jure 02-26-2011 01:46 PM

automounting usb drives

on 2011-02-26 at 11:30 luis jure wrote:

>i had already installed this plugin, but it doesn't seem to do much: an
>icon for the device appears on the side panel, but no corresponding mount
>point is created under /media. when i click on the icon a "Not Authorized"
>message appears.

i'm getting somewhat closer, it seems. launching an xfce session as root
i can sure mount the device, but not as normal user. from thunar i get the
message above, and typing udiskie on a console, i get this:

failed to mount device /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sdc1:
org.freedesktop.UDisks.Error.PermissionDenied: Not Authorized

hmmmm.... any hints?

Marc Joliet 02-26-2011 01:47 PM

automounting usb drives

Am Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:30:45 -0200
schrieb luis jure <ljc@internet.com.uy>:

> hi marc,

Hi Luis,

> >It seems that for Xfce you want the Thunar Volume Manager plugin
>
> i had already installed this plugin, but it doesn't seem to do much: an
> icon for the device appears on the side panel, but no corresponding mount
> point is created under /media. when i click on the icon a "Not Authorized"
> message appears.
[...]
> thanks for the suggestions. i'm thinking of giving udiskie a try, but i'm
> unable to find any documentation about it: what am i supposed to do after
> installation? anything to configure, init scripts to run?

Udiskie runs as a user process, so you just need to start it during login.

According to the README file [0], udiskie uses consolekit to obtain necessary
permissions. That means that you need to emerge xfce4-session with the use
flags +consolekit. If you do not already have that use flag set then that is
probably why thunar-volman did not work correctly. If it is not already the
case, you will need to add consolekit to the default runlevel.

> alles gute,
>
> lj

[0] viewable online at
https://bitbucket.org/byronclark/udiskie/src/62047ac3fdaf/README

HTH
--
Marc Joliet

Nikos Chantziaras 02-26-2011 01:53 PM

automounting usb drives

i had already installed this plugin, but it doesn't seem to do much: an
icon for the device appears on the side panel, but no corresponding mount
point is created under /media. when i click on the icon a "Not Authorized"
message appears.

i'm getting somewhat closer, it seems. launching an xfce session as root
i can sure mount the device, but not as normal user. from thunar i get the
message above, and typing udiskie on a console, i get this:

failed to mount device /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sdc1:
org.freedesktop.UDisks.Error.PermissionDenied: Not Authorized

hmmmm.... any hints?

Do you have any entries for those devices in /etc/fstab? If yes, delete
them. They interfere with automounting.

luis jure 02-26-2011 02:09 PM

automounting usb drives

on 2011-02-26 at 16:53 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

>Do you have any entries for those devices in /etc/fstab? If yes, delete
>them. They interfere with automounting.

i had already deleted them, only after doing so the device icon began to
appear on thunar. but i can't mount it as a normal user, only as root.