Old 02-27-2011, 01:51 AM
Paul Colquhoun

Default automounting usb drives

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 13:10:37 luis jure wrote:
> on 2011-02-27 at 11:32 Paul Colquhoun wrote:
> >If it involved PolicyKit, that may be the cause. Look in
> >/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf and see if that is blocking your access.
>
> mmm... i don't have this file (or the /etc/PolicyKit directory, for that
> matter). i only have the /etc/polkit-1 directory, belonging to
> sys-auth/polkit.
>
> the PolicyKit.conf file should already be there? which package provides
> it? or can i just create it from scratch?

Hmmm. "equery b" for /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf or just /etc/PolicyKit
doesn't return any packages on my system.

I suspect that they belong to some part of KDE, as the permission errors I was
tracking down came from the Dolphin file manager, and they could thus control
how KDE uses the policykit framework. They may also be leftovers from when
KDE/Gentoo used to use policykit, and have since stopped. It's sometimes hard
to keep up with these changes.

It's possible that I created the file and directory by hand, after finding
instructions via Google search, such as

In case you want to risk this, the full content of my file is:

#####################
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- XML -*- -->

<!DOCTYPE pkconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Configuration 1.0//EN"
"http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/PolicyKit/1.0/config.dtd">

<!-- See the manual page PolicyKit.conf(5) for file format -->

<config version="0.1">

<define_admin_auth group="wheel"/>

<match user="root">
<return result="yes"/>
</match>

<match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.*">
<return result="yes" />
</match>

</config>
#####################

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:03 AM
Dale

luis jure wrote:

If it involved PolicyKit, that may be the cause. Look in
/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf and see if that is blocking your access.

mmm... i don't have this file (or the /etc/PolicyKit directory, for that
matter). i only have the /etc/polkit-1 directory, belonging to
sys-auth/polkit.

the PolicyKit.conf file should already be there? which package provides
it? or can i just create it from scratch?

best,

lj

I don't have those either. According to eix, policykit is no longer in
portage either. The package polkit is there tho. I have it installed
here which is pulled in by KDE. According to the dev mailing list,
policykit is gone:

# Samuli Suominen<ssuominen@gentoo.org> (25 Jan 2011)
# Replaced by sys-auth/polkit. Removal in 30 days.
# Bug 340331.
sys-auth/policykit

Maybe things will get a little bit less confusing now...;-)

Might want to check into polkit instead.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-27-2011, 02:20 AM
"Duong "Yang" Ha Nguyen"

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011, Christoph Brendes wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 13:27:11 -0200
> luis jure <ljc@internet.com.uy> wrote:
>
> > on 2011-02-26 at 16:17 Christoph Brendes wrote:
> >

> > >Hi, for me it works (xfce 4.8 with udev and udisk)
> > >
> > >please check if you
> > >
> > >- enable the volume manager (thunar preferences: "Advanced" tab)
> > >- you are in the plugdev group
> >
> > yes to both... :-(
>
> Did you use HAL?
>
> Christoph

Hal is deprecated. Try avoiding it as much as possible.

Best regards,
--
Dương "Yang" H* Nguyễn
Web log: http://cmpitg.wordpress.com/

Old 02-27-2011, 10:13 AM
luis jure

on 2011-02-27 at 10:20 Duong "Yang" Ha Nguyen wrote:

>Hal is deprecated. Try avoiding it as much as possible.

that's what i'm doing, for sure!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Stphane Guedon

On Sunday 27 February 2011 12:13:21 luis jure wrote:
> on 2011-02-27 at 10:20 Duong "Yang" Ha Nguyen wrote:
> >Hal is deprecated. Try avoiding it as much as possible.
>
> that's what i'm doing, for sure!

I have read all the discussion, and, unfortunately, I can't help you Luis.
But I am asking the way to assign mountpoint like hal did.

As it is said, Hal is deprecated. But it was easy to say "when you plug
6566-3243 flash drive, the mountpoint should be my_usbdisk".

Now, automounting works good and great for me with udev/udisks, no problem,
except that I would like to have the same behavior : having my drives to the
mount point I want (having good icons rather than just a usual folder icon
would be a plus !).

I am right now on KDE 4.6, and so...

--
Stphane Guedon
page web : http://www.22decembre.eu/

Old 02-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Stphane Guedon

On Sunday 27 February 2011 13:39:49 Stphane Guedon wrote:
> On Sunday 27 February 2011 12:13:21 luis jure wrote:
> > on 2011-02-27 at 10:20 Duong "Yang" Ha Nguyen wrote:
> > >Hal is deprecated. Try avoiding it as much as possible.
> >
> > that's what i'm doing, for sure!
>
> I have read all the discussion, and, unfortunately, I can't help you Luis.
> But I am asking the way to assign mountpoint like hal did.
>
> As it is said, Hal is deprecated. But it was easy to say "when you plug
> 6566-3243 flash drive, the mountpoint should be my_usbdisk".
>
> Now, automounting works good and great for me with udev/udisks, no problem,
> except that I would like to have the same behavior : having my drives to
> the mount point I want (having good icons rather than just a usual folder
> icon would be a plus !).
>
> I am right now on KDE 4.6, and so...

solved using mlabel...
I needed to look upon ubuntu doc ! This is a little bit crap !

but thanks ! :-)

Old 05-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Matt Harrison

I recently did a base install and then installed a handful of packages
to get myself X and Openbox running on my system using XFE for my file
manager. I am running into an issue where when I plug my external
(NTFS) hard drive in to my machine, it is not automounting like it
would if I had XFCE installed first. I added my user to the plugdev
group and I can manually mount it. However, I would like to have it
automount again without having an entry in /etc/fstab.

Is there a volume manager I can install outside of the DE environment
to get this working again? I have been searching for a couple of days
now but I have not found anything yet.

Thanks!
-Matt

Old 05-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Camalen

On Thu, 19 May 2011 08:30:04 -0400, Matt Harrison wrote:

(...)

> Is there a volume manager I can install outside of the DE environment to
> get this working again? I have been searching for a couple of days now
> but I have not found anything yet.

If you don't want to manually deal with udev and its rules, you could
consider "halevt" or "pmount".

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 05-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Javier Vasquez

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2011 08:30:04 -0400, Matt Harrison wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> Is there a volume manager I can install outside of the DE environment to
>> get this working again? *I have been searching for a couple of days now
>> but I have not found anything yet.
>
> If you don't want to manually deal with udev and its rules, you could
> consider "halevt" or "pmount".
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camalen

Notice autofs is a light and pretty good option...

--
Javier.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Brian

On Thu 19 May 2011 at 08:30:04 -0400, Matt Harrison wrote:

> Is there a volume manager I can install outside of the DE environment
> to get this working again? I have been searching for a couple of days
> now but I have not found anything yet.

autofs has been mentioned. There is also thunar-volman, but thunar comes
with it and you may not want that. ivman is another possibility.