Old 02-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Michael Sullivan

Default No sound in mythfrontend

I have no sound in mythfrontend anymore. Here's the emerge information:

camille ~ # emerge -pv mythtv

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] media-tv/mythtv-0.20.2_p14972 USE="alsa dvb dvd ivtv
jack joystick lirc mmx opengl perl vorbis (-altivec) -autostart
-backendonly -crciprec -dbox2 -debug -directv -dts -freebox
-frontendonly -hdhomerun -ieee1394 -lcd -xvmc" VIDEO_CARDS="i810 via
-nvidia" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

I think it might have something to do with OSS, but I don't know what to
do about that because it's gone from my gnome volume control. Sound in
audacious and pidgin still works though. What should I do?

Old 02-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Michael Sullivan

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 19:23 -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I have no sound in mythfrontend anymore. Here's the emerge information:
>
> camille ~ # emerge -pv mythtv

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild R ] media-tv/mythtv-0.20.2_p14972 USE="alsa dvb dvd ivtv
> jack joystick lirc mmx opengl perl vorbis (-altivec) -autostart
> -backendonly -crciprec -dbox2 -debug -directv -dts -freebox
> -frontendonly -hdhomerun -ieee1394 -lcd -xvmc" VIDEO_CARDS="i810 via
> -nvidia" 0 kB
>
> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
>
> I think it might have something to do with OSS, but I don't know what to
> do about that because it's gone from my gnome volume control. Sound in
> audacious and pidgin still works though. What should I do?

I just ran mythfrontend in a terminal and looked at the output. I saw a
lot of this line:

/dev/dsp: No such file or directory

If /dev/dsp doesn't exist, then how is everything else using sound?

Old 02-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Jerry McBride

On Thursday 07 February 2008 08:45:50 pm Michael Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 19:23 -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > I have no sound in mythfrontend anymore. Here's the emerge information:
> >
> > camille ~ # emerge -pv mythtv
> >
> > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
> >
> > Calculating dependencies... done!
> > [ebuild R ] media-tv/mythtv-0.20.2_p14972 USE="alsa dvb dvd ivtv
> > jack joystick lirc mmx opengl perl vorbis (-altivec) -autostart
> > -backendonly -crciprec -dbox2 -debug -directv -dts -freebox
> > -frontendonly -hdhomerun -ieee1394 -lcd -xvmc" VIDEO_CARDS="i810 via
> > -nvidia" 0 kB
> >
> > Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
> >
> > I think it might have something to do with OSS, but I don't know what to
> > do about that because it's gone from my gnome volume control. Sound in
> > audacious and pidgin still works though. What should I do?
>
> I just ran mythfrontend in a terminal and looked at the output. I saw a
> lot of this line:
>
> /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
>
> If /dev/dsp doesn't exist, then how is everything else using sound?

You have /dev/adsp and that's what they use. For mythtv, I found I had to
provide the oss modules also...

--

From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride

Old 02-08-2008, 02:31 AM
Michael Sullivan

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 21:27 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:
> On Thursday 07 February 2008 08:45:50 pm Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 19:23 -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > > I have no sound in mythfrontend anymore. Here's the emerge information:
> > >
> > > camille ~ # emerge -pv mythtv
> > >
> > > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
> > >
> > > Calculating dependencies... done!
> > > [ebuild R ] media-tv/mythtv-0.20.2_p14972 USE="alsa dvb dvd ivtv
> > > jack joystick lirc mmx opengl perl vorbis (-altivec) -autostart
> > > -backendonly -crciprec -dbox2 -debug -directv -dts -freebox
> > > -frontendonly -hdhomerun -ieee1394 -lcd -xvmc" VIDEO_CARDS="i810 via
> > > -nvidia" 0 kB
> > >
> > > Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
> > >
> > > I think it might have something to do with OSS, but I don't know what to
> > > do about that because it's gone from my gnome volume control. Sound in
> > > audacious and pidgin still works though. What should I do?
> >
> > I just ran mythfrontend in a terminal and looked at the output. I saw a
> > lot of this line:
> >
> > /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
> >
> > If /dev/dsp doesn't exist, then how is everything else using sound?
>
> You have /dev/adsp and that's what they use. For mythtv, I found I had to
> provide the oss modules also...
>
> --
>

> From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride

michael@camille ~ $ ls /dev/adsp
ls: cannot access /dev/adsp: No such file or directory

How do I get the OSS modules? Do I have to compile them into the
kernel? I have the oss use flag set. BTW I'm using

michael@camille ~ $ uname -a
Linux camille 2.6.23-gentoo-r6 #1 SMP Sun Jan 27 09:34:08 CST 2008 i686
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Old 02-09-2008, 01:40 AM
Michael Sullivan

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 19:45 -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 19:23 -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > I have no sound in mythfrontend anymore. Here's the emerge information:
> >
> > camille ~ # emerge -pv mythtv
> >
> > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
> >
> > Calculating dependencies... done!
> > [ebuild R ] media-tv/mythtv-0.20.2_p14972 USE="alsa dvb dvd ivtv
> > jack joystick lirc mmx opengl perl vorbis (-altivec) -autostart
> > -backendonly -crciprec -dbox2 -debug -directv -dts -freebox
> > -frontendonly -hdhomerun -ieee1394 -lcd -xvmc" VIDEO_CARDS="i810 via
> > -nvidia" 0 kB
> >
> > Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
> >
> > I think it might have something to do with OSS, but I don't know what to
> > do about that because it's gone from my gnome volume control. Sound in
> > audacious and pidgin still works though. What should I do?
>
> I just ran mythfrontend in a terminal and looked at the output. I saw a
> lot of this line:
>
> /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
>
> If /dev/dsp doesn't exist, then how is everything else using sound?

If I put -oss in /etc/make.conf and emerge -ND world, would it
theoretically fix this problem?

Old 02-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Jerry McBride

On Friday 08 February 2008 09:40:04 pm Michael Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 19:45 -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 19:23 -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > > I have no sound in mythfrontend anymore. Here's the emerge
> > > information:
> > >
> > > camille ~ # emerge -pv mythtv
> > >
> > > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
> > >
> > > Calculating dependencies... done!
> > > [ebuild R ] media-tv/mythtv-0.20.2_p14972 USE="alsa dvb dvd ivtv
> > > jack joystick lirc mmx opengl perl vorbis (-altivec) -autostart
> > > -backendonly -crciprec -dbox2 -debug -directv -dts -freebox
> > > -frontendonly -hdhomerun -ieee1394 -lcd -xvmc" VIDEO_CARDS="i810 via
> > > -nvidia" 0 kB
> > >
> > > Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
> > >
> > > I think it might have something to do with OSS, but I don't know what
> > > to do about that because it's gone from my gnome volume control. Sound
> > > in audacious and pidgin still works though. What should I do?
> >
> > I just ran mythfrontend in a terminal and looked at the output. I saw a
> > lot of this line:
> >
> > /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
> >
> > If /dev/dsp doesn't exist, then how is everything else using sound?
>
> If I put -oss in /etc/make.conf and emerge -ND world, would it
> theoretically fix this problem?

How are you implementing ALSA? Are you using the kernel modules or the alsa
ebuilds? If kernel, then make sure it the oss emulation is enabled.

Check your alsa file at /etc/modules.d/alsa, it should look like:

alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

alias snd-card-0 snd-atiixp # the alsa drive I need for my sound hardware
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss