Old 02-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan

Default Gentoo minimal CD not runable on 64MB RAM machine

Hi,

I have an old Pentium machine with 64MB RAM that I planned to install Gentoo.

I download Gentoo x86 minimal ISO and burn it to disk. The disk was able to boot, but not able to give the command prompt, with error "cp: write error: No space left on device" during copying to tempfs

This symptom is reproducible in Virtualbox with 64MB RAM.

Any idea how to overcome this issue?

Gentoo documentation mention that Gentoo should be installable on 64MB RAM machine.

Thanks.

--
Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan

Old 02-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Dirk Uys

Hi

I think that any of the live CDs are going to give you problems with 64MB RAM. I think the minimal ISO is a live CD that allows you to install Gentoo from there. You can try installing another distro on the harddrive and then installing gentoo using that distro.

Compiling Gentoo on such an old machine is very brave, I hope you intend to use distcc.

Regards
Dirk

Old 02-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan

Hi Dirk,

Yes I noticed that. Most websites that I search for did not recommend running Linux live-cd on 64MB RAM.

Looks like to have to search for distro that is tailored for embedded system.

Thanks.