Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Peter Humphrey

Default KDE 4 again

After reading last month's thread on kde-4 I decided to have a go, but I
wanted a separate setup for simplicity. So I built a basic system from
2007.0 on a new partition and installed the first few kde-4 packages
(startkde, kdm, konsole and a few others).

Now I want to submit a bug report, but are the Gentoo devs happy to receive
these yet, since kde-4 is not officially released?

The problem I have is that kdm fails on startup. I get the root console back
after much longer than if the nvidia driver had aborted, and this
in /var/log/messages:

Feb 5 15:48:22 wstn kdm: :0[4043]: Received unknown or unexpected
command -2 from greeter
Feb 5 15:48:22 wstn kdm: :0[4043]: Abnormal termination of greeter for
display :0, code 125, signal 0

Anyone any ideas?

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 02-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 06 February 2008, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> After reading last month's thread on kde-4 I decided to have a go,
> but I wanted a separate setup for simplicity. So I built a basic
> system from 2007.0 on a new partition and installed the first few
> kde-4 packages (startkde, kdm, konsole and a few others).
>
> Now I want to submit a bug report, but are the Gentoo devs happy to
> receive these yet, since kde-4 is not officially released?

kde-4 IS released. What do you think kde.org did on 11 Jan?

There are kde4 ebuilds in the OFFICIAL portage tree but hard-masked.
That means the devs want a certain class of user to use them, and
submit bugs - why else put them there?

Submit a bug at b.g.o. as normal. The worst that can happen is that
jakub will trash them WONTFIX.

Or you could submit the bug at the kde overlay bugzilla:
https://www2.mailstation.de/bugzilla/

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Wednesday 06 February 2008 20:18:10 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Submit a bug at b.g.o. as normal. The worst that can happen is that
> jakub will trash them WONTFIX.

OK, I will - thanks. I was feeling inhibited by the virtual lack of other
bugs there, where I'd expected to see hundreds.

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 06 February 2008, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 February 2008 20:18:10 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Submit a bug at b.g.o. as normal. The worst that can happen is that
> > jakub will trash them WONTFIX.
>
> OK, I will - thanks. I was feeling inhibited by the virtual lack of
> other bugs there, where I'd expected to see hundreds.

Someone needs to go fist :-) :-)

Old 02-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Iain Buchanan

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 20:36 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 February 2008 20:18:10 Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> > Submit a bug at b.g.o. as normal. The worst that can happen is that
> > jakub will trash them WONTFIX.
>
> OK, I will - thanks. I was feeling inhibited by the virtual lack of other
> bugs there, where I'd expected to see hundreds.

did you try 4.0.0 or 4.0.1? I think the newer is hardmasked by now, or
at least it should be soon (but I don't use it, so I don't know for
sure. It's not in my tree yet anyway)

Nudists are people who wear one-button suits.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Wednesday 06 February 2008 22:50:13 Iain Buchanan wrote:

> did you try 4.0.0 or 4.0.1? I think the newer is hardmasked by now, or
> at least it should be soon

This is 4.0.0. I don't think 4.0.1 has had a chance to work its way through
to Gentoo release yet.

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 02-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Uwe Thiem

On Thursday 07 February 2008, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 February 2008 22:50:13 Iain Buchanan wrote:
> > did you try 4.0.0 or 4.0.1? I think the newer is hardmasked by
> > now, or at least it should be soon
>
> This is 4.0.0. I don't think 4.0.1 has had a chance to work its way
> through to Gentoo release yet.

It is in portage by now, hardmasked like 4.0.0. It depends on
libspectre which, in turn, depends on a newer ghostscript. That
dependency is missing. So manually emerge ghostscript-8.61 and
everything should be fine. If you have to switch from ghostscript-esp
to ghostscript-gpl, you probably need to run revdep-rebuild.

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/