Old 02-14-2011, 01:01 AM
Bill Kenworthy

Default ALSA - Still No Sound

what does "lsmod" say?

This is on a jetway MB with an onboard nvidia chipset so not quite the
same as yours (only sound and the nvidia module are modularised) - in
particular make sure that you are building the "Intel HD Audio" codecs -
it isnt immediately obvious that its required.

BillK

myth3 linux # lsmod
Module Size Used by
snd_pcm_oss 37091 0
snd_mixer_oss 14409 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy 1335 0
snd_seq_oss 26582 0
snd_seq_midi_event 5148 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 47261 5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_usb_audio 76036 0
snd_usb_lib 16911 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_rawmidi 17403 1 snd_usb_lib
snd_seq_device 4917 4
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd_hda_codec_nvhdmi 12443 1
snd_hda_codec_realtek 261601 1
easycap 1258666 0
nvidia 10078248 36
snd_hda_intel 20392 4
snd_hda_codec 67766 3
snd_hda_codec_nvhdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda _intel
lirc_wb677 22727 1
snd_hwdep 5724 2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec
lirc_dev 10091 3 lirc_wb677
snd_pcm 68302 5
snd_pcm_oss,snd_usb_audio,easycap,snd_hda_intel,sn d_hda_codec
snd_timer 17708 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd 49975 23
snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_ usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,s nd_hda_codec_realtek,easycap,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda _codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 5135 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 6641 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
myth3 linux #

Old 02-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

I still can't get sound to work. Can someone tell me what's wrong? In
addition to my earlier thread below I have INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" and
ALSA_CARDS="AC97" in my make.conf.

Dumb question, but did you unmute the channels in 'alsamixer'? I almost
always had to do that the first time I configured ALSA. For reason the
defaults seemed to mute the channels.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:43 AM
dhk

On 02/13/2011 09:01 PM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> [...]
>>> 'sound|ac97|alsa'
>>> CONFIG_SOUND=m
>>> CONFIG_SOUND_OSS_CORE=y
>>> CONFIG_SOUND_OSS_CORE_PRECLAIM=y
>>> CONFIG_SND_AC97_CODEC=m
>>> # CONFIG_SND_AC97_POWER_SAVE is not set
>>> # CONFIG_SOUND_PRIME is not set
>>> CONFIG_AC97_BUS=m
>>> CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_ALSA_SUPPORT=y
>>> # CONFIG_CRYPTO_SALSA20 is not set
>>> CONFIG_CRYPTO_SALSA20_X86_64=m
>>>
>>> # cat /proc/asound/cards
>>> 0 [CK8S ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK8S
>>> NVidia CK8S with ALC850 at irq 20
>>> 1 [UART ]: MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART
>>> MPU-401 UART at 0x300, irq 5
>>>
>>> # cat /proc/asound/version
>>> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
>>>
>>> # cat /proc/asound/oss/sndstat
>>> Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.23 emulation code)
>>> Kernel: Linux jenny 2.6.36-gentoo-r5 #1 SMP Wed Jan 12 16:53:04 EST 2011

>>> 0: Realtek ALC850 rev 0
>>> 1: mixer10
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> dhk

Below is the full lsmod. What are the "Intel HD Audio" codecs? I don't
remember doing anything explicitly for them. How do I check them? Thanks.

# lsmod
Module Size Used by
ipv6 206158 10
snd_seq_midi 3968 0
snd_pcm_oss 29261 0
snd_mixer_oss 12003 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_oss 22204 0
snd_seq_midi_event 4500 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 39341 5 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
nvidia 8014619 24
snd_intel8x0 23674 0
snd_ac97_codec 97723 1 snd_intel8x0
snd_mpu401 4816 0
ac97_bus 1038 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_mpu401_uart 4819 1 snd_mpu401
snd_pcm 54108 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_rawmidi 14820 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_mpu401_uart
snd_timer 15181 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
i2c_core 14583 1 nvidia
snd_seq_device 4413 4 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
floppy 48369 0
rtc 4807 0
processor 23876 0
forcedeth 44596 0
snd 44492 12
snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_ intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_mpu401,snd_mpu401_uart ,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
thermal 7434 0
thermal_sys 10469 2 processor,thermal
snd_page_alloc 5833 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
button 4602 0
soundcore 4303 1 snd
tg3 105124 0
libphy 14410 1 tg3
e1000 82076 0
fuse 52906 0
jfs 137577 0
dm_snapshot 24208 0
dm_crypt 10019 0
dm_mirror 11378 0
dm_region_hash 6184 1 dm_mirror
dm_log 7312 2 dm_mirror,dm_region_hash
dm_mod 54625 19 dm_snapshot,dm_crypt,dm_mirror,dm_log
scsi_wait_scan 663 0
sbp2 17091 0
ohci1394 23779 0
ieee1394 58976 2 sbp2,ohci1394
sl811_hcd 8550 0
usbhid 21207 0
ohci_hcd 17517 0
uhci_hcd 17628 0
usb_storage 50625 0
ehci_hcd 30045 0
usbcore 105656 7
sl811_hcd,usbhid,ohci_hcd,uhci_hcd,usb_storage,ehc i_hcd
aic94xx 63627 0
libsas 34062 1 aic94xx
lpfc 367820 0
qla2xxx 279790 0
megaraid_sas 36889 0
megaraid_mbox 23389 0
megaraid_mm 6897 1 megaraid_mbox
megaraid 35093 0
aacraid 59839 0
sx8 10981 0
DAC960 62400 0
cciss 37984 0
3w_9xxx 28458 0
3w_xxxx 20388 0
mptsas 42523 0
scsi_transport_sas 20829 3 aic94xx,libsas,mptsas
mptfc 11909 0
scsi_transport_fc 35379 3 lpfc,qla2xxx,mptfc
scsi_tgt 8338 1 scsi_transport_fc
mptspi 13095 0
mptscsih 23931 3 mptsas,mptfc,mptspi
mptbase 74059 4 mptsas,mptfc,mptspi,mptscsih
atp870u 23505 0
dc395x 27324 0
qla1280 18968 0
dmx3191d 8945 0
sym53c8xx 62383 0
gdth 72801 0
advansys 50310 0
initio 15313 0
BusLogic 18996 0
arcmsr 23420 0
aic7xxx 104712 0
aic79xx 119473 0
scsi_transport_spi 18315 5 mptspi,dmx3191d,sym53c8xx,aic7xxx,aic79xx
sg 23310 0
pdc_adma 5202 0
sata_inic162x 6519 0
sata_mv 23486 0
ata_piix 20548 0
ahci 19321 0
libahci 15819 1 ahci
sata_qstor 5001 0
sata_vsc 3806 0
sata_uli 2857 0
sata_sis 3570 0
sata_sx4 7854 0
sata_nv 18727 0
sata_via 7672 0
sata_svw 3998 0
sata_sil24 10465 0
sata_sil 7060 0
sata_promise 9513 0
pata_sl82c105 3145 0
pata_cs5530 4061 0
pata_cs5520 3523 0
pata_via 7479 0
pata_jmicron 2248 0
pata_marvell 2689 0
pata_sis 9776 1 sata_sis
pata_netcell 2078 0
pata_sc1200 2786 0
pata_pdc202xx_old 4120 0
pata_triflex 2878 0
pata_atiixp 3449 0
pata_opti 2615 0
pata_amd 9908 0
pata_ali 8839 0
pata_it8213 3247 0
pata_pcmcia 9893 0
pcmcia 28390 1 pata_pcmcia
firmware_class 4997 7
tg3,aic94xx,libsas,qla2xxx,qla1280,advansys,pcmcia
pcmcia_core 10161 1 pcmcia
pata_ns87415 3065 0
pata_ns87410 2621 0
pata_serverworks 5261 0
pata_artop 4572 0
pata_it821x 8157 0
pata_optidma 4358 0
pata_hpt3x2n 4515 0
pata_hpt3x3 2917 0
pata_hpt37x 9930 0
pata_hpt366 4846 0
pata_cmd64x 5432 0
pata_efar 3363 0
pata_rz1000 2610 0
pata_sil680 4313 0
pata_radisys 2743 0
pata_pdc2027x 5771 0
pata_mpiix 2715 0
libata 133427 52
libsas,pdc_adma,sata_inic162x,sata_mv,ata_piix,ahc i,libahci,sata_qstor,sata_vsc,sata_uli,sata_sis,sa ta_sx4,sata_nv,sata_via,sata_svw,sata_sil24,sata_s il,sata_promise,pata_sl82c105,pata_cs5530,pata_cs5 520,pata_via,pata_jmicron,pata_marvell,pata_sis,pa ta_netcell,pata_sc1200,pata_pdc202xx_old,pata_trif lex,pata_atiixp,pata_opti,pata_amd,pata_ali,pata_i t8213,pata_pcmcia,pata_ns87415,pata_ns87410,pata_s erverworks,pata_artop,pata_it821x,pata_optidma,pat a_hpt3x2n,pata_hpt3x3,pata_hpt37x,pata_hpt366,pata _cmd64x,pata_efar,pata_rz1000,pata_sil680,pata_rad isys,pata_pdc2027x,pata_mpiix

Old 02-14-2011, 10:44 AM
dhk

On 02/13/2011 09:21 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 02/14/2011 01:19 AM, dhk wrote:
>> I still can't get sound to work. Can someone tell me what's wrong? In
>> addition to my earlier thread below I have INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" and
>> ALSA_CARDS="AC97" in my make.conf.
>
> Dumb question, but did you unmute the channels in 'alsamixer'? I almost
> always had to do that the first time I configured ALSA. For reason the
> defaults seemed to mute the channels.

Yes, all channels are unmuted. Thanks.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:29 PM
walt

What are the "Intel HD Audio" codecs? I don't
remember doing anything explicitly for them. How do I check them? Thanks.

Under the HD-Intel sound card driver menu there are several codecs for
specific sound chips. e.g. I use the one for realtek, but yours may be
a different one. Doesn't hurt to build them all as modules and see which
one(s) your kernel actually uses.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 AM
dhk

On 02/14/2011 12:29 PM, walt wrote:
> On 02/14/2011 03:43 AM, dhk wrote:
>
>> What are the "Intel HD Audio" codecs? I don't
>> remember doing anything explicitly for them. How do I check them?
>> Thanks.
>
> Under the HD-Intel sound card driver menu there are several codecs for
> specific sound chips. e.g. I use the one for realtek, but yours may be
> a different one. Doesn't hurt to build them all as modules and see which
> one(s) your kernel actually uses.

It looks like all the codec's are built in. I'm not sure what the last
one in the list does.

# grep -i realtek /etc/kernels/kernel-config-x86_64-2.6.36-gentoo-r5
CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=y
# grep -i codec /etc/kernels/kernel-config-x86_64-2.6.36-gentoo-r5
CONFIG_SND_AC97_CODEC=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_ANALOG=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SIGMATEL=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_VIA=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_ATIHDMI=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_NVHDMI=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_INTELHDMI=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CIRRUS=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CONEXANT=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CA0110=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CMEDIA=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SI3054=y
# CONFIG_SND_SOC_ALL_CODECS is not set

This is the genkernel so pretty much everything is built in.

Could this be a bug in the kernel? I haven't had sound for about a
year, but I know it use to work on this hardware. It probably went out
with an upgrade and never came back with a new install.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

dhk

Old 02-15-2011, 10:10 AM
laconism

you can use 'lspci' in shell to know something about your sound card,then http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml has a guide about how to set your hardware and kernel,the information used to make sure the model of your sound card is porvided in 'lspci',look it up clearly
if you don't know how to update the kernel,see herehttp://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml
My English is not very good, i wish that you can understand

Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 AM
dhk

On 02/15/2011 06:10 AM, laconism wrote:
> you can use 'lspci' in shell to know something about your sound card,then http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml has a guide about how to set your hardware and kernel,the information used to make sure the model of your sound card is porvided in 'lspci',look it up clearly
> if you don't know how to update the kernel,see herehttp://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml
> My English is not very good, i wish that you can understand
> At 2011-02-15 18:43:57,dhk <dhkuhl@optonline.net> wrote:

>>> Under the HD-Intel sound card driver menu there are several codecs for
>>> specific sound chips. e.g. I use the one for realtek, but yours may be
>>> a different one. Doesn't hurt to build them all as modules and see which
>>> one(s) your kernel actually uses.
>>>

>> It looks like all the codec's are built in. I'm not sure what the last
>> one in the list does.
>>
>> # grep -i realtek /etc/kernels/kernel-config-x86_64-2.6.36-gentoo-r5
>> CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY=m
>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=y
>> # grep -i codec /etc/kernels/kernel-config-x86_64-2.6.36-gentoo-r5
>> CONFIG_SND_AC97_CODEC=m
>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=y
>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_ANALOG=y
>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SIGMATEL=y
>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_VIA=y
>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_ATIHDMI=y
>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_NVHDMI=y
>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_INTELHDMI=y
>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CIRRUS=y
>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CONEXANT=y
>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CA0110=y
>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CMEDIA=y
>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SI3054=y
>> # CONFIG_SND_SOC_ALL_CODECS is not set
>>
>> This is the genkernel so pretty much everything is built in.
>>
>> Could this be a bug in the kernel? I haven't had sound for about a
>> year, but I know it use to work on this hardware. It probably went out
>> with an upgrade and never came back with a new install.
>>
>> Any ideas are appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> dhk

Been there, done that, still no sound. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:03 AM
dhk

On 02/15/2011 06:35 AM, dhk wrote:
> On 02/15/2011 06:10 AM, laconism wrote:
>> you can use 'lspci' in shell to know something about your sound card,then http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml has a guide about how to set your hardware and kernel,the information used to make sure the model of your sound card is porvided in 'lspci',look it up clearly
>> if you don't know how to update the kernel,see herehttp://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml
>> My English is not very good, i wish that you can understand

>>> It looks like all the codec's are built in. I'm not sure what the last
>>> one in the list does.
>>>
>>> # grep -i realtek /etc/kernels/kernel-config-x86_64-2.6.36-gentoo-r5
>>> CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY=m
>>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=y
>>> # grep -i codec /etc/kernels/kernel-config-x86_64-2.6.36-gentoo-r5
>>> CONFIG_SND_AC97_CODEC=m
>>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=y
>>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_ANALOG=y
>>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SIGMATEL=y
>>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_VIA=y
>>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_ATIHDMI=y
>>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_NVHDMI=y
>>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_INTELHDMI=y
>>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CIRRUS=y
>>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CONEXANT=y
>>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CA0110=y
>>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CMEDIA=y
>>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SI3054=y
>>> # CONFIG_SND_SOC_ALL_CODECS is not set
>>>
>>> This is the genkernel so pretty much everything is built in.
>>>
>>> Could this be a bug in the kernel? I haven't had sound for about a
>>> year, but I know it use to work on this hardware. It probably went out
>>> with an upgrade and never came back with a new install.
>>>
>>> Any ideas are appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> dhk
>>>

> Been there, done that, still no sound. Thanks.

I think I have made some progress. After getting a new sound card
(Sound Blaster X-Fi) and building X-Fi in the kernel I have some sound,
but it sounds terrible. It's mostly a static noise with a hint of the
actual audio underneath. Also the volume is almost all the way up, but
the volume still sounds low.

The ALSA Soundcard Matrix for this card says:
Sound Blaster X-Fi emu20k1 Details [PCI] Partially supported on 1.0.21;
EAX and Advanced sound options like crystalizer not available

and

# lspci | grep -i audio
02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs CA0106 Soundblaster

I set the ALSA_CARDS variable in /etc/make.conf to emu20k1 and CA0106,
but neither make a difference. When alsaconf is run it always set the
card as CA0106.

After each change I run alsaconf and alsamixer to make sure all is set
correctly.

When the ALSA_CARDS variable is changed, is there anything that need to
run or be updated?

The following 764 lines is the output from alsa-info.

# cat /tmp/alsa-info.txt.vaKO90QJzT
upload=true&script=true&cardinfo=
!!################################
!!ALSA Information Script v 0.4.60
!!################################

!!Script ran on: Fri Feb 25 11:47:59 UTC 2011

!!Linux Distribution
!!------------------

Gentoo Base System release 1.12.14

!!DMI Information
!!---------------

Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer Inc.
Product Name: K8N-E
Product Version: System Version

!!Kernel Information
!!------------------

Kernel release: 2.6.36-gentoo-r5
Operating System: GNU/Linux
Architecture: x86_64
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
SMP Enabled: Yes

!!ALSA Version
!!------------

Driver version: 1.0.23
Library version: 1.0.23
Utilities version: 1.0.23

!!Loaded ALSA modules
!!-------------------

snd_ca0106
snd_mpu401

!!Sound Servers on this system
!!----------------------------

No sound servers found.

!!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
!!-----------------------------

0 [CA0106 ]: CA0106 - CA0106
X-Fi Extreme Audio [SBxxxx] at 0xb000 irq 16
1 [UART ]: MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART
MPU-401 UART at 0x300, irq 5

!!PCI Soundcards installed in the system
!!--------------------------------------

02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs CA0106 Soundblaster

!!Advanced information - PCI Vendor/Device/Subsystem ID's
!!--------------------------------------------------------

02:09.0 0401: 1102:0007
Subsystem: 1102:1013

!!Loaded sound module options
!!--------------------------

!!Module: snd_ca0106
enable : Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y, Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y
id :
(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),( null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(n ull),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(nu ll),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(nul l),(null),(null),(null)
-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1
subsystem : 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0, 0,0,0,0,0,0,0

!!Module: snd_mpu401
enable : Y,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N, N,N,N,N,N,N,N
id :
(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),( null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(n ull),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(nu ll),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(nul l),(null),(null),(null)
-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2,-2
irq :
5,65535,65535,65535,65535,65535,65535,65535,65535, 65535,65535,65535,65535,65535,65535,65535,65535,65 535,65535,65535,65535,65535,65535,65535,65535,6553 5,65535,65535,65535,65535,65535,65535
pnp : Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y, Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y
port : 768,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1, 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1
uart_enter :
Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y, Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y

!!ALSA Device nodes
!!-----------------

crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 14 Feb 25 05:42 /dev/snd/controlC0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 4 Feb 25 05:42 /dev/snd/controlC1
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 5 Feb 25 05:42 /dev/snd/midiC0D0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 3 Feb 25 05:42 /dev/snd/midiC1D0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 13 Feb 25 05:42 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 12 Feb 25 06:46 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 11 Feb 25 05:42 /dev/snd/pcmC0D1c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 10 Feb 25 05:42 /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 9 Feb 25 05:42 /dev/snd/pcmC0D2c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 8 Feb 25 05:42 /dev/snd/pcmC0D2p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 7 Feb 25 05:42 /dev/snd/pcmC0D3c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 6 Feb 25 05:42 /dev/snd/pcmC0D3p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 15 Feb 25 05:42 /dev/snd/seq
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 2 Feb 25 05:42 /dev/snd/timer

/dev/snd/by-path:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Feb 25 05:42 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 340 Feb 25 05:42 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Feb 25 05:42 pci-0000:02:09.0 -> ../controlC0

!!Aplay/Arecord output
!!------------

APLAY

card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 0: ca0106 [CA0106]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 1: ca0106 [CA0106]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 2: ca0106 [CA0106]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 3: ca0106 [CA0106]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

ARECORD

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 0: ca0106 [CA0106]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 1: ca0106 [CA0106]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 2: ca0106 [CA0106]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 3: ca0106 [CA0106]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

!!Amixer output
!!-------------

!!-------Mixer controls for card 0 [CA0106]

Card hw:0 'CA0106'/'X-Fi Extreme Audio [SBxxxx] at 0xb000 irq 16'
Mixer name : 'CA0106'
Components : '
Controls : 30
Simple ctrls : 18
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined penum
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono: Playback 207 [81%] [-12.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Line in',0
Capabilities: cvolume penum
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 255
Front Left: Capture 207 [81%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 207 [81%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
Capabilities: cvolume penum
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 255
Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [-99999.99dB]
Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [-99999.99dB]
Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
Capabilities: cvolume penum
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 255
Front Left: Capture 207 [81%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 207 [81%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Center/LFE',0
Capabilities: pvolume penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 179 [70%] [-7.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 179 [70%] [-7.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Front',0
Capabilities: pvolume penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 178 [70%] [-7.25dB]
Front Right: Playback 178 [70%] [-7.25dB]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Rear',0
Capabilities: pvolume penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 178 [70%] [-7.25dB]
Front Right: Playback 178 [70%] [-7.25dB]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Unknown',0
Capabilities: pvolume penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 178 [70%] [-7.25dB]
Front Right: Playback 178 [70%] [-7.25dB]
Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
Capabilities: cvolume penum
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 255
Front Left: Capture 207 [81%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 207 [81%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Analog Center/LFE',0
Capabilities: pvolume penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 178 [70%] [-7.25dB]
Front Right: Playback 178 [70%] [-7.25dB]
Simple mixer control 'Analog Front',0
Capabilities: pvolume penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 179 [70%] [-7.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 179 [70%] [-7.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Analog Rear',0
Capabilities: pvolume penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 178 [70%] [-7.25dB]
Front Right: Playback 178 [70%] [-7.25dB]
Simple mixer control 'Analog Side',0
Capabilities: pvolume penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 178 [70%] [-7.25dB]
Front Right: Playback 178 [70%] [-7.25dB]
Simple mixer control 'Analog Source',0
Capabilities: cenum
Items: 'Phone' 'Mic' 'Line in' 'Aux'
Item0: 'Line in'
Simple mixer control 'CAPTURE feedback',0
Capabilities: pvolume penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 179 [70%] [-7.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 179 [70%] [-7.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Digital Source',0
Capabilities: cenum
Items: 'IEC958 out' 'i2s mixer out' 'IEC958 in' 'i2s in' 'AC97 in'
'SRC out'
Item0: 'i2s in'
Simple mixer control 'Shared Mic/Line in',0
Capabilities: cenum
Items: 'Line in' 'Mic in'
Item0: 'Line in'

!!-------Mixer controls for card 1 [UART]

Card hw:1 'UART'/'MPU-401 UART at 0x300, irq 5'
Mixer name : '
Components : '
Controls : 0
Simple ctrls : 0

!!Alsactl output
!!-------------

--startcollapse--
state.CA0106 {
control.1 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 255'
comment.dbmin -5175
comment.dbmax 1200
iface MIXER
name 'Analog Front Playback Volume'
value.0 179
value.1 179
}
control.2 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 255'
comment.dbmin -5175
comment.dbmax 1200
iface MIXER
name 'Analog Rear Playback Volume'
value.0 178
value.1 178
}
control.3 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 255'
comment.dbmin -5175
comment.dbmax 1200
iface MIXER
name 'Analog Center/LFE Playback Volume'
value.0 178
value.1 178
}
control.4 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 255'
comment.dbmin -5175
comment.dbmax 1200
iface MIXER
name 'Analog Side Playback Volume'
value.0 178
value.1 178
}
control.5 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 255'
comment.dbmin -5175
comment.dbmax 1200
iface MIXER
name 'IEC958 Front Playback Volume'
value.0 178
value.1 178
}
control.6 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 255'
comment.dbmin -5175
comment.dbmax 1200
iface MIXER
name 'IEC958 Rear Playback Volume'
value.0 178
value.1 178
}
control.7 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 255'
comment.dbmin -5175
comment.dbmax 1200
iface MIXER
name 'IEC958 Center/LFE Playback Volume'
value.0 179
value.1 179
}
control.8 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 255'
comment.dbmin -5175
comment.dbmax 1200
iface MIXER
name 'IEC958 Unknown Playback Volume'
value.0 178
value.1 178
}
control.9 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 255'
comment.dbmin -5175
comment.dbmax 1200
iface MIXER
name 'CAPTURE feedback Playback Volume'
value.0 179
value.1 179
}
control.10 {
comment.access read
comment.type IEC958
comment.count 1
iface PCM
name 'IEC958 Playback Mask'
value
ffffffff000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
}
control.11 {
comment.access read
comment.type IEC958
comment.count 1
iface PCM
name 'IEC958 Playback Mask'
index 1
value
ffffffff000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
}
control.12 {
comment.access read
comment.type IEC958
comment.count 1
iface PCM
name 'IEC958 Playback Mask'
index 2
value
ffffffff000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
}
control.13 {
comment.access read
comment.type IEC958
comment.count 1
iface PCM
name 'IEC958 Playback Mask'
index 3
value
ffffffff000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
}
control.14 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type BOOLEAN
comment.count 1
iface MIXER
name 'IEC958 Playback Switch'
value true
}
control.15 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type ENUMERATED
comment.count 1
comment.item.0 'IEC958 out'
comment.item.1 'i2s mixer out'
comment.item.2 'IEC958 in'
comment.item.3 'i2s in'
comment.item.4 'AC97 in'
comment.item.5 'SRC out'
iface MIXER
name 'Digital Source Capture Enum'
value 'i2s in'
}
control.16 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type ENUMERATED
comment.count 1
comment.item.0 Phone
comment.item.1 Mic
comment.item.2 'Line in'
comment.item.3 Aux
iface MIXER
name 'Analog Source Capture Enum'
value 'Line in'
}
control.17 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type IEC958
comment.count 1
iface PCM
name 'IEC958 Playback Default'
value
'0492100200000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000'
}
control.18 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type IEC958
comment.count 1
iface PCM
name 'IEC958 Playback Default'
index 1
value
'0492100200000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000'
}
control.19 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type IEC958
comment.count 1
iface PCM
name 'IEC958 Playback Default'
index 2
value
'0492100200000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000'
}
control.20 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type IEC958
comment.count 1
iface PCM
name 'IEC958 Playback Default'
index 3
value
'0492100200000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000'
}
control.21 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type IEC958
comment.count 1
iface PCM
name 'IEC958 Playback PCM Stream'
value
'0492100200000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000'
}
control.22 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type IEC958
comment.count 1
iface PCM
name 'IEC958 Playback PCM Stream'
index 1
value
'0492100200000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000'
}
control.23 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type IEC958
comment.count 1
iface PCM
name 'IEC958 Playback PCM Stream'
index 2
value
'0492100200000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000'
}
control.24 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type IEC958
comment.count 1
iface PCM
name 'IEC958 Playback PCM Stream'
index 3
value
'0492100200000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000'
}
control.25 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 255'
comment.dbmin -10350
comment.dbmax 2400
iface MIXER
name 'Phone Capture Volume'
value.0 207
value.1 207
}
control.26 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 255'
comment.dbmin -10350
comment.dbmax 2400
iface MIXER
name 'Mic Capture Volume'
value.0 0
value.1 0
}
control.27 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 255'
comment.dbmin -10350
comment.dbmax 2400
iface MIXER
name 'Line in Capture Volume'
value.0 207
value.1 207
}
control.28 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 255'
comment.dbmin -10350
comment.dbmax 2400
iface MIXER
name 'Aux Capture Volume'
value.0 207
value.1 207
}
control.29 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type ENUMERATED
comment.count 1
comment.item.0 'Line in'
comment.item.1 'Mic in'
iface MIXER
name 'Shared Mic/Line in Capture Switch'
value 'Line in'
}
control.30 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 1
comment.range '0 - 255'
comment.dbmin -6375
comment.dbmax 0
iface MIXER
name 'Master Playback Volume'
value 207
}
}
state.UART {
control {
}
}
--endcollapse--

!!All Loaded Modules
!!------------------

Module
ipv6
snd_seq_midi
snd_pcm_oss
snd_mixer_oss
snd_seq_oss
snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq
snd_intel8x0
nvidia
snd_ca0106
snd_ac97_codec
snd_mpu401
snd_mpu401_uart
ac97_bus
snd_pcm
rtc
snd_rawmidi
floppy
snd_timer
snd_seq_device
processor
i2c_core
forcedeth
snd
button
thermal
snd_page_alloc
soundcore
thermal_sys
tg3
libphy
e1000
fuse
jfs
dm_snapshot
dm_crypt
dm_mirror
dm_region_hash
dm_log
dm_mod
scsi_wait_scan
sbp2
ohci1394
ieee1394
sl811_hcd
usbhid
ohci_hcd
uhci_hcd
usb_storage
ehci_hcd
usbcore
aic94xx
libsas
lpfc
qla2xxx
megaraid_sas
megaraid_mbox
megaraid_mm
megaraid
aacraid
sx8
DAC960
cciss
3w_9xxx
3w_xxxx
mptsas
scsi_transport_sas
mptfc
scsi_transport_fc
scsi_tgt
mptspi
mptscsih
mptbase
atp870u
dc395x
qla1280
dmx3191d
sym53c8xx
gdth
advansys
initio
BusLogic
arcmsr
aic7xxx
aic79xx
scsi_transport_spi
sg
pdc_adma
sata_inic162x
sata_mv
ata_piix
ahci
libahci
sata_qstor
sata_vsc
sata_uli
sata_sis
sata_sx4
sata_nv
sata_via
sata_svw
sata_sil24
sata_sil
sata_promise
pata_sl82c105
pata_cs5530
pata_cs5520
pata_via
pata_jmicron
pata_marvell
pata_sis
pata_netcell
pata_sc1200
pata_pdc202xx_old
pata_triflex
pata_atiixp
pata_opti
pata_amd
pata_ali
pata_it8213
pata_pcmcia
pcmcia
firmware_class
pcmcia_core
pata_ns87415
pata_ns87410
pata_serverworks
pata_artop
pata_it821x
pata_optidma
pata_hpt3x2n
pata_hpt3x3
pata_hpt37x
pata_hpt366
pata_cmd64x
pata_efar
pata_rz1000
pata_sil680
pata_radisys
pata_pdc2027x
pata_mpiix
libata

!!ALSA/HDA dmesg

Old 02-26-2011, 08:53 PM
walt

[...]

There is a very recent post from someone (Walter?) that says he got audio
only after compiling all the kernel sound features as modules, but he has
no idea why (nor do I) but, as no one yet has a better idea, I'd try it as
an experiment.