Old 02-13-2011, 01:12 AM

Default TS (transport stream) files: how to strip anything unwanted?

Hi,

from recording from my dvbt-card I have some ts-files (transport
stream).

To save space AND quality, I want to strip anything from those files,
which is not wanted: anything, which is neither audio nor video. But
I dont want to reencode audio and video for that.

How can I do that?

Thank you very much for any help in advance!
Have a nice weekend!
Best regards,
mcc

Old 02-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 03:12:29 +0100, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> from recording from my dvbt-card I have some ts-files (transport
> stream).
>
> To save space AND quality, I want to strip anything from those files,
> which is not wanted: anything, which is neither audio nor video. But
> I dont want to reencode audio and video for that.

If you are using MythTV to record, just do a lossless transcode, or use
mythtranscode with the --mpeg2 option.

Otherwise, ffmpeg -i infile.mpg -acodec copy -vcodec copy outfile.mpg
should do it.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 13.02.2011 03:12, schrieb meino.cramer@gmx.de:
> Hi,
>
> from recording from my dvbt-card I have some ts-files (transport
> stream).
>
> To save space AND quality, I want to strip anything from those files,
> which is not wanted: anything, which is neither audio nor video. But
> I dont want to reencode audio and video for that.
>
> How can I do that?
>
> Thank you very much for any help in advance!
> Have a nice weekend!
> Best regards,
> mcc

My advice: Mux it into a different container. TS is meant for streaming
over lossy networks and has a pretty high overhead. I don't have a TS
file ready for some testing but even the simpler PS has in my test 4%
more size than the equivalent MKV file. For TS I guess it is more in the
5-6% range.

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM
"Walter Dnes"

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 03:12:29AM +0100, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote

> from recording from my dvbt-card I have some ts-files (transport
> stream).
>
> To save space AND quality, I want to strip anything from those files,
> which is not wanted: anything, which is neither audio nor video.

What you've just described is reencoding, even if it's from a TS with
multiple subchannels, 4 different audio tracks, and a week of program
info in PSIP to a single-channel TS. The fact that the output container
is similar to the input container is irrelavant. It's still reencoding.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 02-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Michael Hampicke

>> from recording from my dvbt-card I have some ts-files (transport
>> stream).
>>
>> To save space AND quality, I want to strip anything from those files,
>> which is not wanted: anything, which is neither audio nor video.
>
> What you've just described is reencoding, even if it's from a TS with
> multiple subchannels, 4 different audio tracks, and a week of program
> info in PSIP to a single-channel TS. The fact that the output container
> is similar to the input container is irrelavant. It's still reencoding.

No it's not. What Meino want's to do, is to remux his video file.

Re encoding is when you actually change something, like audio or video
codec.