Old 02-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Hung Dang

Default Anyone get Acer laptop internal microphone working in Gentoo?

I guest you may need to play around with the mixer (KDE,GNOME) or
alsamixer to enable internal microphone. I have to enable
recording/capture in GNOME volume applet to make the internal microphone
worked on my D630.

Hope this help,
Hung

Old 02-13-2011, 05:48 AM
Yohan Pereira

On Sunday 13 Feb 2011 05:15:35 AM Walter Dnes wrote:

> Has anybody gotten an internal microphone on any Acer laptop working?

> My Google searches have found a couple of references to "it works out of

> the box" under some versions of Ubuntu, but no technical details, which

> doesn't really help. Here are a few snippets from alsa-info...

did you add alsasound to the boot process?

i went 6 months trying to figure out what was wrong with my microphone until i realised that i forgot to do that!

also unmute the microphones using alsamixer (in alsa-utils) like Hung sugested.

--

- Yohan Pereira

"A man can do as he will, but not will as he will" - Schopenhauer

Old 02-13-2011, 09:10 PM
"Walter Dnes"

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 12:18:40PM +0530, Yohan Pereira wrote

> did you add alsasound to the boot process?
>
> i went 6 months trying to figure out what was wrong with my microphone
> until i realised that i forgot to do that!
>
> also unmute the microphones using alsamixer (in alsa-utils) like
> Hung sugested.

I had already unmuted everything before posting my question. With
enough microphone boost, I have a hissing noise. I didn't know about
alsasound being a daemon until today. With alsasound running, mencoder
and ffmpeg and arecord now *THINK* that they are recording a sound
channel. That's an "improvement", because they used to say "noaudio"
before. But still nothing gets recorded. Here is a sample command I
tried.

arecord -f cd -t wav -c 2 -D plughw:0 foobar.wav

Maybe I should go and buy an external microphone already.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 02-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Yohan Pereira

On Sunday 13 Feb 2011 05:15:35 AM Walter Dnes wrote:

> My Google searches have found a couple of references to "it works out of

> the box" under some versions of Ubuntu, but no technical details, which

> doesn't really help.

why dont you try a ubuntu live cd or so? :P

alteast thats not as bad as the usual "does it work on windows?".

Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Mick

On Sunday 13 February 2011 22:10:42 Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 12:18:40PM +0530, Yohan Pereira wrote
>
> > did you add alsasound to the boot process?
> >
> > i went 6 months trying to figure out what was wrong with my microphone
> > until i realised that i forgot to do that!
> >
> > also unmute the microphones using alsamixer (in alsa-utils) like
> > Hung sugested.
>
> I had already unmuted everything before posting my question. With
> enough microphone boost, I have a hissing noise. I didn't know about
> alsasound being a daemon until today. With alsasound running, mencoder
> and ffmpeg and arecord now *THINK* that they are recording a sound
> channel. That's an "improvement", because they used to say "noaudio"
> before. But still nothing gets recorded. Here is a sample command I
> tried.
>
> arecord -f cd -t wav -c 2 -D plughw:0 foobar.wav
>
> Maybe I should go and buy an external microphone already.

I do not have your hardware, but on my laptop I could not get the microphone
to work until I switched on the digital capture and selected "Digital" under
Input Source in alsamixer. For some reason it would not work with any other
setting.
Mick

Old 02-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Mick

On Friday 18 February 2011 09:45:44 Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 13 February 2011 22:10:42 Walter Dnes wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 12:18:40PM +0530, Yohan Pereira wrote
> >
> > > did you add alsasound to the boot process?
> > >
> > > i went 6 months trying to figure out what was wrong with my microphone
> > > until i realised that i forgot to do that!
> > >
> > > also unmute the microphones using alsamixer (in alsa-utils) like
> > > Hung sugested.
> > >
> > I had already unmuted everything before posting my question. With
> >
> > enough microphone boost, I have a hissing noise. I didn't know about
> > alsasound being a daemon until today. With alsasound running, mencoder
> > and ffmpeg and arecord now *THINK* that they are recording a sound
> > channel. That's an "improvement", because they used to say "noaudio"
> > before. But still nothing gets recorded. Here is a sample command I
> > tried.
> >
> > arecord -f cd -t wav -c 2 -D plughw:0 foobar.wav
> >
> > Maybe I should go and buy an external microphone already.
>
> I do not have your hardware, but on my laptop I could not get the
> microphone to work until I switched on the digital capture and selected
> "Digital" under Input Source in alsamixer. For some reason it would not
> work with any other setting.

Perhaps because there is no analogue audio capture on my machine ... ?

$ cat /proc/asound/devices
2: : timer
3: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
5: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
6: [ 0] : control
7: [ 1- 3]: digital audio playback
8: [ 1- 0]: hardware dependent
9: [ 1] : control
10: : sequencer

HTH.
Mick

Old 02-19-2011, 09:40 PM
"Walter Dnes"

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 09:49:46AM +0000, Mick wrote

> Perhaps because there is no analogue audio capture on my machine ... ?
>
> $ cat /proc/asound/devices
> 2: : timer
> 3: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
> 4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
> 5: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
> 6: [ 0] : control
> 7: [ 1- 3]: digital audio playback
> 8: [ 1- 0]: hardware dependent
> 9: [ 1] : control
> 10: : sequencer

My system is very similar...

[aa1][root][~] cat /proc/asound/devices
2: : timer
3: : sequencer
4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
5: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
6: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
7: [ 0] : control
8: [ 1- 3]: digital audio playback
9: [ 1- 0]: hardware dependent
10: [ 1] : control

> I do not have your hardware, but on my laptop I could not get the
> microphone to work until I switched on the digital capture and
> selected "Digital" under Input Source in alsamixer. For some reason
> it would not work with any other setting.

What exactly do you mean by "switched on the digital capture"? In
alsamixer I have all sound capture settings on...

Front Mic Boost 67
Mic Boost 67
Capture 81
Capture 1 81
Digital 83

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 02-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Mick

On Saturday 19 February 2011 22:40:25 Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 09:49:46AM +0000, Mick wrote
>
> > Perhaps because there is no analogue audio capture on my machine ... ?
> >
> > $ cat /proc/asound/devices
> >
> > 2: : timer
> > 3: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
> > 4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
> > 5: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
> > 6: [ 0] : control
> > 7: [ 1- 3]: digital audio playback
> > 8: [ 1- 0]: hardware dependent
> > 9: [ 1] : control
> >
> > 10: : sequencer
>
> My system is very similar...
>
> [aa1][root][~] cat /proc/asound/devices
> 2: : timer
> 3: : sequencer
> 4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
> 5: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
> 6: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
> 7: [ 0] : control
> 8: [ 1- 3]: digital audio playback
> 9: [ 1- 0]: hardware dependent
> 10: [ 1] : control
>
> > I do not have your hardware, but on my laptop I could not get the
> > microphone to work until I switched on the digital capture and
> > selected "Digital" under Input Source in alsamixer. For some reason
> > it would not work with any other setting.
>
> What exactly do you mean by "switched on the digital capture"? In
> alsamixer I have all sound capture settings on...
>
> Front Mic Boost 67
> Mic Boost 67
> Capture 81
> Capture 1 81
> Digital 83

Ah ... mine have more. <F4> in alsamixer brings up all these Capture devices:

Front Mic 67<>67
Mic 67<>67
Capture 80<>80
Capture 80<>80
Digital 61<>61
Digital 33<>33
Input So Digital Mic (other options are: Front Mic, Mic)
Input So Digital Mic (other options are: Front Mic, Mic)

There's a microphone on the top of the screen and a jack on the front left of
the keyboard.
Mick

Old 02-20-2011, 04:54 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:54:38PM +0000, Mick wrote

> Ah ... mine have more. <F4> in alsamixer brings up all these Capture devices:
>
> Front Mic 67<>67
> Mic 67<>67
> Capture 80<>80
> Capture 80<>80
> Digital 61<>61
> Digital 33<>33
> Input So Digital Mic (other options are: Front Mic, Mic)
> Input So Digital Mic (other options are: Front Mic, Mic)
>
> There's a microphone on the top of the screen and a jack on the
> front left of the keyboard.

Another search on Goggle finally found something, but I'm not sure I
like it. My card shows up in "lspci -v" as...

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0372
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
Memory at d0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel

alsamixer shows...
Card: HDA ATI SB
Chip: Realtek ALC272X

One solution I've seen involves modprobing the sound driver with a
parameter. Problem is I've been using kernel-mode alsa for years and
I'm an absolute newbie on "alsa-driver". alsa-driver is keyworded
~amd64 but I'm desparate enough to try it. Maybe even desparate enough
to try the other solution, namely revert to OSS.

If I want to keyword alsa-driver and install it, I assume that I have
to remove all kernel support for sound, i.e in "make menuconfig"...

< > Sound card support --->

Is that correct? Also, what should I specify in ALSA_CARDS in
/etc/make.conf ?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 AM
"Elaine C. Sharpe"

In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:54:38PM +0000, Mick wrote
>
>> Ah ... mine have more. <F4> in alsamixer brings up all these Capture devices:
>>
>> Front Mic 67<>67
>> Mic 67<>67
>> Capture 80<>80
>> Capture 80<>80
>> Digital 61<>61
>> Digital 33<>33
>> Input So Digital Mic (other options are: Front Mic, Mic)
>> Input So Digital Mic (other options are: Front Mic, Mic)
>>
>> There's a microphone on the top of the screen and a jack on the
>> front left of the keyboard.
>
> Another search on Goggle finally found something, but I'm not sure I
> like it. My card shows up in "lspci -v" as...
>
> 00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0372
> Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
> Memory at d0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
> Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>
> alsamixer shows...
> Card: HDA ATI SB
> Chip: Realtek ALC272X
>
> One solution I've seen involves modprobing the sound driver with a
> parameter. Problem is I've been using kernel-mode alsa for years and
> I'm an absolute newbie on "alsa-driver". alsa-driver is keyworded
> ~amd64 but I'm desparate enough to try it. Maybe even desparate enough
> to try the other solution, namely revert to OSS.
>
> If I want to keyword alsa-driver and install it, I assume that I have
> to remove all kernel support for sound, i.e in "make menuconfig"...
>
>< > Sound card support --->
>
> Is that correct?

I don't think so. One of my machines is a mac mini with the
intel HDA chipset, and I don't recall right now whether it
was alsa-driver, alsa-firnmware, or both but I did get it
working without disabling audio in the kernel.

>Also, what should I specify in ALSA_CARDS in
> /etc/make.conf ?

ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"

--
caveat utilitor