Old 02-12-2011, 10:45 PM
"Walter Dnes"

Default Anyone get Acer laptop internal microphone working in Gentoo?

I got an Acer Aspire 4551-2728 earlier this year, and now I have some
spare time on my hands, and I've got it almost 100% functional under 64
bit Gentoo linux. The networking was dead easy, as was the video (once
I was pointed to the instructions). The webcam took some digging, but
I figured it out, with "Mr. Google's" help. The last item that doesn't
work yet is the internal microphone.

Has anybody gotten an internal microphone on any Acer laptop working?
My Google searches have found a couple of references to "it works out of
the box" under some versions of Ubuntu, but no technical details, which
doesn't really help. Here are a few snippets from alsa-info...

!!DMI Information
!!---------------
Manufacturer: Acer
Product Name: Aspire 4551

!!Kernel Information
!!------------------
Kernel release: 2.6.36-gentoo-r5
Operating System: GNU/Linux
Architecture: x86_64
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor
SMP Enabled: Yes

!!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
!!-----------------------------
0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
HDA ATI SB at 0xd0400000 irq 16
1 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
HDA ATI HDMI at 0xd0110000 irq 19

!!PCI Soundcards installed in the system
!!--------------------------------------
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Device 970f

!!Advanced information - PCI Vendor/Device/Susbsystem ID's
!!--------------------------------------------------------
00:14.2 0403: 1002:4383 (rev 40)
Subsystem: 1025:0372
--
01:05.1 0403: 1002:970f
Subsystem: 1025:0372

!!HDA-Intel Codec information
!!---------------------------
--startcollapse--
Codec: Realtek ALC272X
Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 1)
Vendor Id: 0x10ec0272
Subsystem Id: 0x10250372
Revision Id: 0x100001

!!Aplay/Arecord output
!!------------

APLAY

card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC272X Analog [ALC272X Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

ARECORD

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****