Old 02-11-2011, 10:15 PM
walt

Default For net-print/hplip users

I've just spent an annoying two days trying to un-break my HP multifunction
printer/fax/scanner, and I hope I can spare some of you the same trouble.

My symptoms were that I couldn't send a fax using hp-sendfax, which has been
working very well for years -- until now.

After much floundering I finally tried deleting my existing cups printers
and allowing hp-setup to create new ones. All better now

There may be more than one way to delete cups printers, I dunno, but I used
the cups http interface by typing 'http://localhost:631' in my firefox URL bar
(cupsd must be running for this to work).

Old 02-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Dale

walt wrote:
I've just spent an annoying two days trying to un-break my HP
multifunction

printer/fax/scanner, and I hope I can spare some of you the same trouble.

My symptoms were that I couldn't send a fax using hp-sendfax, which
has been

working very well for years -- until now.

After much floundering I finally tried deleting my existing cups printers
and allowing hp-setup to create new ones. All better now

There may be more than one way to delete cups printers, I dunno, but I
used
the cups http interface by typing 'http://localhost:631' in my firefox
URL bar

(cupsd must be running for this to work).

I have found in the past that anytime I update hp* or cups, I need to
delete and set up my printer again. Sometimes it works but is flakey
and sometimes it doesn't print at all. Deleting and adding again is the
only fix I have found that works.

Sort of weird how that works tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Daniel Pielmeier

walt schrieb am 12.02.2011 00:15:
> I've just spent an annoying two days trying to un-break my HP
> multifunction printer/fax/scanner, and I hope I can spare some of
> you the same trouble.
>
> My symptoms were that I couldn't send a fax using hp-sendfax, which
> has been working very well for years -- until now.
>
> After much floundering I finally tried deleting my existing cups
> printers and allowing hp-setup to create new ones. All better now
>

> There may be more than one way to delete cups printers, I dunno, but
> I used the cups http interface by typing 'http://localhost:631' in my
> firefox URL bar (cupsd must be running for this to work).

From the hplip ebuild:

elog "You should run hp-setup as root if you are installing hplip for
the first time,"
elog "and may also need to run it if you are upgrading from an earlier
version."

This message is there for a reason!

--
Daniel Pielmeier

Old 02-12-2011, 05:47 PM
walt

I've just spent an annoying two days trying to un-break my HP
multifunction printer/fax/scanner, and I hope I can spare some of
you the same trouble.

My symptoms were that I couldn't send a fax using hp-sendfax, which
has been working very well for years -- until now.

After much floundering I finally tried deleting my existing cups
printers and allowing hp-setup to create new ones. All better now

There may be more than one way to delete cups printers, I dunno, but
I used the cups http interface by typing 'http://localhost:631' in my
firefox URL bar (cupsd must be running for this to work).

From the hplip ebuild:

elog "You should run hp-setup as root if you are installing hplip for
the first time,"
elog "and may also need to run it if you are upgrading from an earlier
version."

Yes, I saw that, and I *did* re-run hp-setup. But I didn't delete the
existing cups printers, thinking it wouldn't be necessary. But it was :/

Old 02-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

walt schrieb am 12.02.2011 19:47:
> On 02/11/2011 06:47 PM, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
>>
>> From the hplip ebuild:
>>
>> elog "You should run hp-setup as root if you are installing hplip for
>> the first time,"
>> elog "and may also need to run it if you are upgrading from an earlier
>> version."
>
> Yes, I saw that, and I *did* re-run hp-setup. But I didn't delete the
> existing cups printers, thinking it wouldn't be necessary. But it was :/

Well this is the purpose of hp-setup, adding or deleting printers.

Run "hp-setup -r" then you can select the printer you want to delete.
Afterwards run "hp-setup" without options to add them again.

But you are right the message should be more verbose.

--
Daniel Pielmeier

Old 02-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Daniel Pielmeier schrieb am 12.02.2011 20:16:
> walt schrieb am 12.02.2011 19:47:
>> On 02/11/2011 06:47 PM, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
>>>
>>> From the hplip ebuild:
>>>
>>> elog "You should run hp-setup as root if you are installing hplip for
>>> the first time,"
>>> elog "and may also need to run it if you are upgrading from an earlier
>>> version."
>>
>> Yes, I saw that, and I *did* re-run hp-setup. But I didn't delete the
>> existing cups printers, thinking it wouldn't be necessary. But it was :/
>
> Well this is the purpose of hp-setup, adding or deleting printers.
>
> Run "hp-setup -r" then you can select the printer you want to delete.
> Afterwards run "hp-setup" without options to add them again.
>
> But you are right the message should be more verbose.

I wrote an update to the hplip section of the Gentoo Printing Guide [1],
removed the elog messages from the ebuild and referred to the guide
instead. I hope this helps everyone who is installing/upgrading hplip.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml#hplip

--
Daniel Pielmeier

Old 02-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Allan Gottlieb

On Mon, Feb 14 2011, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:

> Daniel Pielmeier schrieb am 12.02.2011 20:16:
>> walt schrieb am 12.02.2011 19:47:

>>> Yes, I saw that, and I *did* re-run hp-setup. But I didn't delete the
>>> existing cups printers, thinking it wouldn't be necessary. But it was :/
>>
>> Well this is the purpose of hp-setup, adding or deleting printers.
>>
>> Run "hp-setup -r" then you can select the printer you want to delete.
>> Afterwards run "hp-setup" without options to add them again.
>>
>> But you are right the message should be more verbose.
>>

> I wrote an update to the hplip section of the Gentoo Printing Guide [1],
> removed the elog messages from the ebuild and referred to the guide
> instead. I hope this helps everyone who is installing/upgrading hplip.
>
> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml#hplip

This is very nice. I would add that to use the scanner you need the
scanner USE flag (I know that sounds obvious, but I would included it).

allan

Old 02-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Daniel Pielmeier

2011/2/14 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu>:
> On Mon, Feb 14 2011, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
>>
>> I wrote an update to the hplip section of the Gentoo Printing Guide [1],
>> removed the elog messages from the ebuild and referred to the guide
>> instead. I hope this helps everyone who is installing/upgrading hplip.
>>
>> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml#hplip
>
> This is very nice. *I would add that to use the scanner you need the
> scanner USE flag (I know that sounds obvious, but I would included it).

Thanks for your input but I think this is too obvious to mention. If
you own a scanner and see the scanner flag when you install a package,
what will you do? Disable it? I guess not.

--
Daniel Pielmeier