-   -   PS/2->USB-Keyboard and the BIOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/488200-ps-2-usb-keyboard-bios.html)

Volker Armin Hemmann 02-11-2011 07:12 PM

On Friday 11 February 2011 20:15:56 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [11-02-11 19:56]:
> > On Friday 11 February 2011 18:59:39 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a problem here...(as you may have already guessed...;)
> > >
> > > I have an old PS/2 keyboard, which I do love a lot. This PS/2-
> > > keyboard is connected via a Chesen Electronics Corp. PS/2
> > > Keyboard+Mouse Adapter to an USB-port of my ASUS Corsshair IV
> > > formula board.
> > >
> > > When Linux is running I have not a single problem with this setup...
> > > BUT entering the bootselector via F8 while BIOS is coming up is
> > > to 99% impossible. I managed that only once.
> > > On the other hand: Entering BIOS with F1 is not simple and often
> > > requires several boots, but it is possible.
> > >
> > > What can I do to make F8/the bootselector work?
> > >
> > > Thank you very much for any help in advance!
> > > Have a nice weekend!
> > > Best regards,
> > > mcc
> >
> > go into bios, turn on legacy support. Btw, are there no ps/2 ports? Oh -
> > and using a 'pure' usb keyboard for entering bios might be needed.
>
> Hi Volker,
>
> ...yes, there is a ps/2 port...but this keyboard is that old, that it is
> recommended NOT to connect the keyboard to ANY "modern" PS/2
> connector, since it does not comply to the standard very well.
> I choose exactly this adapter, because it is known to work with the
> keyboards "way of PS/2". If there is a little chance to enter BIOS and
> the BOOTSELECTOR using this keyboard I want really to avoid the hassle
> of having two boards connected to my PC (and wasting a USB port,
> too).
>
> Have a nice weekend!
> mcc

well, why do you need the bootselector anyway? And have you tried to connect
the keyboard? What could happen? blown fuse on the board?

02-11-2011 08:04 PM

PS/2->USB-Keyboard and the BIOS

Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [11-02-11 21:20]:
> On Friday 11 February 2011 20:15:56 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [11-02-11 19:56]:

> > > go into bios, turn on legacy support. Btw, are there no ps/2 ports? Oh -
> > > and using a 'pure' usb keyboard for entering bios might be needed.
> >
> > Hi Volker,
> >
> > ...yes, there is a ps/2 port...but this keyboard is that old, that it is
> > recommended NOT to connect the keyboard to ANY "modern" PS/2
> > connector, since it does not comply to the standard very well.
> > I choose exactly this adapter, because it is known to work with the
> > keyboards "way of PS/2". If there is a little chance to enter BIOS and
> > the BOOTSELECTOR using this keyboard I want really to avoid the hassle
> > of having two boards connected to my PC (and wasting a USB port,
> > too).
> >
> > Have a nice weekend!
> > mcc
>
> well, why do you need the bootselector anyway? And have you tried to connect
> the keyboard? What could happen? blown fuse on the board?

Hi Volker,

The bootselector normally is used to select between different bootable
devices which are together connected to the PC at the same time.
Very handy!

One question remains to be answered for you:
What could happen, when attaching a badly confirming device to a motherboard?

In the simplest case: nothing and it does not work.

Worst case is to kill the PS/2-chip attached to the PS/2 jack on the
motherboard.

Something with which I do not want to experiment with.
Especially because I know from others, that this risk is real.

Normally I try to evaluate the risk of my acting in beforehand --
especially if it is that easy like in this case: asking people,
which wants to give helpful answers. But not any given answer is
that helpful, you know?

Have a nice weekend!
mcc

Volker Armin Hemmann 02-11-2011 09:29 PM

On Friday 11 February 2011 22:04:22 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [11-02-11 21:20]:
> > On Friday 11 February 2011 20:15:56 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [11-02-11 19:56]:

> > > Hi Volker,
> > >
> > > ...yes, there is a ps/2 port...but this keyboard is that old, that
> > > it is recommended NOT to connect the keyboard to ANY "modern" PS/2
> > > connector, since it does not comply to the standard very well.
> > > I choose exactly this adapter, because it is known to work with the
> > > keyboards "way of PS/2". If there is a little chance to enter BIOS
> > > and
> > > the BOOTSELECTOR using this keyboard I want really to avoid the
> > > hassle
> > > of having two boards connected to my PC (and wasting a USB port,
> > > too).
> > >
> > > Have a nice weekend!
> > > mcc
> >
> > well, why do you need the bootselector anyway? And have you tried to
> > connect the keyboard? What could happen? blown fuse on the board?
>
> Hi Volker,
>
> The bootselector normally is used to select between different bootable
> devices which are together connected to the PC at the same time.
> Very handy!
>
> One question remains to be answered for you:
> What could happen, when attaching a badly confirming device to a
> motherboard?
>
> In the simplest case: nothing and it does not work.
>
> Worst case is to kill the PS/2-chip attached to the PS/2 jack on the
> motherboard.
>
> Something with which I do not want to experiment with.
> Especially because I know from others, that this risk is real.
>
> Normally I try to evaluate the risk of my acting in beforehand --
> especially if it is that easy like in this case: asking people,
> which wants to give helpful answers. But not any given answer is
> that helpful, you know?

well, it is not like you have much alternatives left, do you? you can either:
try a different keyboard
try a different adaptor
or
connect the keyboard directly.

any way. changing 'usb legacy support' from 'disabled' or 'auto' to 'enabled'
might help you.