Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   PS/2->USB-Keyboard and the BIOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/488153-ps-2-usb-keyboard-bios.html)

02-11-2011 04:59 PM

PS/2->USB-Keyboard and the BIOS
 
Hi,

I have a problem here...(as you may have already guessed...;)

I have an old PS/2 keyboard, which I do love a lot. This PS/2-
keyboard is connected via a Chesen Electronics Corp. PS/2 Keyboard+Mouse Adapter
to an USB-port of my ASUS Corsshair IV formula board.

When Linux is running I have not a single problem with this setup...
BUT entering the bootselector via F8 while BIOS is coming up is
to 99% impossible. I managed that only once.
On the other hand: Entering BIOS with F1 is not simple and often
requires several boots, but it is possible.

What can I do to make F8/the bootselector work?

Thank you very much for any help in advance!
Have a nice weekend!
Best regards,
mcc

Paul Hartman 02-11-2011 05:17 PM

PS/2->USB-Keyboard and the BIOS
 
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:59 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem here...(as you may have already guessed...;)
>
> I have an old PS/2 keyboard, which I do love a lot. This PS/2-
> keyboard is connected via a Chesen Electronics Corp. PS/2 Keyboard+Mouse Adapter
> to an USB-port of my ASUS Corsshair IV formula board.
>
> When Linux is running I have not a single problem with this setup...
> BUT entering the bootselector via F8 while BIOS is coming up is
> to 99% impossible. I managed that only once.
> On the other hand: Entering BIOS with F1 is not simple and often
> requires several boots, but it is possible.
>
> What can I do to make F8/the bootselector work?

At my job we have some Dell computers, where the USB keyboard doesn't
respond for more than 1 minute after the machine boots UNLESS it is
plugged into a specific USB port. So maybe you can try to use
different ports, just in case it's a similar problem.

02-11-2011 05:39 PM

PS/2->USB-Keyboard and the BIOS
 
Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> [11-02-11 19:24]:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:59 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem here...(as you may have already guessed...;)
> >
> > I have an old PS/2 keyboard, which I do love a lot. This PS/2-
> > keyboard is connected via a Chesen Electronics Corp. PS/2 Keyboard+Mouse Adapter
> > to an USB-port of my ASUS Corsshair IV formula board.
> >
> > When Linux is running I have not a single problem with this setup...
> > BUT entering the bootselector via F8 while BIOS is coming up is
> > to 99% impossible. I managed that only once.
> > On the other hand: Entering BIOS with F1 is not simple and often
> > requires several boots, but it is possible.
> >
> > What can I do to make F8/the bootselector work?
>
> At my job we have some Dell computers, where the USB keyboard doesn't
> respond for more than 1 minute after the machine boots UNLESS it is
> plugged into a specific USB port. So maybe you can try to use
> different ports, just in case it's a similar problem.
>

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply !

...oh! Do you know, how many USB ports that board has? ;) :)

I think the next two days I will reboot day and night ;)

Have a nice weekend!
mcc

Volker Armin Hemmann 02-11-2011 05:50 PM

PS/2->USB-Keyboard and the BIOS
 
On Friday 11 February 2011 18:59:39 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem here...(as you may have already guessed...;)
>
> I have an old PS/2 keyboard, which I do love a lot. This PS/2-
> keyboard is connected via a Chesen Electronics Corp. PS/2 Keyboard+Mouse
> Adapter to an USB-port of my ASUS Corsshair IV formula board.
>
> When Linux is running I have not a single problem with this setup...
> BUT entering the bootselector via F8 while BIOS is coming up is
> to 99% impossible. I managed that only once.
> On the other hand: Entering BIOS with F1 is not simple and often
> requires several boots, but it is possible.
>
> What can I do to make F8/the bootselector work?
>
> Thank you very much for any help in advance!
> Have a nice weekend!
> Best regards,
> mcc

go into bios, turn on legacy support. Btw, are there no ps/2 ports? Oh - and
using a 'pure' usb keyboard for entering bios might be needed.

02-11-2011 06:15 PM

PS/2->USB-Keyboard and the BIOS
 
Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [11-02-11 19:56]:
> On Friday 11 February 2011 18:59:39 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem here...(as you may have already guessed...;)
> >
> > I have an old PS/2 keyboard, which I do love a lot. This PS/2-
> > keyboard is connected via a Chesen Electronics Corp. PS/2 Keyboard+Mouse
> > Adapter to an USB-port of my ASUS Corsshair IV formula board.
> >
> > When Linux is running I have not a single problem with this setup...
> > BUT entering the bootselector via F8 while BIOS is coming up is
> > to 99% impossible. I managed that only once.
> > On the other hand: Entering BIOS with F1 is not simple and often
> > requires several boots, but it is possible.
> >
> > What can I do to make F8/the bootselector work?
> >
> > Thank you very much for any help in advance!
> > Have a nice weekend!
> > Best regards,
> > mcc
>
> go into bios, turn on legacy support. Btw, are there no ps/2 ports? Oh - and
> using a 'pure' usb keyboard for entering bios might be needed.
>

Hi Volker,

...yes, there is a ps/2 port...but this keyboard is that old, that it is
recommended NOT to connect the keyboard to ANY "modern" PS/2
connector, since it does not comply to the standard very well.
I choose exactly this adapter, because it is known to work with the
keyboards "way of PS/2". If there is a little chance to enter BIOS and
the BOOTSELECTOR using this keyboard I want really to avoid the hassle
of having two boards connected to my PC (and wasting a USB port,
too).

Have a nice weekend!
mcc


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:58 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.