Old 02-11-2011, 08:12 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Default Qemu-KVM on amd64: clock in Windows guest

Greets,

does anyone else run KVM on gentoo as well?

I delivered a amd64-server these days and a Win7-pro-guest runs on it.

Now they tell me they have clock issues in the guest :-(

I found

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Virtualization_Guide/chap-Virtualization-KVM_guest_timing_management.html

and ran "bcdedit /set {default} USEPLATFORMCLOCK on", didn't help, even
after reboot. Does it really have to say "{default}" ??

I don't know where to start.

The host kernel provides /dev/rtc, does currently have CPU_FREQ=y, but
afai understand I don't use that behavior (no driver or governor loaded).

Is CONFIG_HPET needed? ->

# grep -i hpet .config
CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
# CONFIG_HPET is not set

-

A kind of workaround is maybe using ntp in the guest?
I will try that asap.

Thanks for any help on this!

Stefan