Old 02-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Nils Holland

Default i586 stage3 tarball

Hi everyone,

I've already talked about it in the "CHOST" thread, but now it's
finished: If you use anonymous FTP and go to

ftp://one.tisys.org/pub/linux/tisys/gentoo

you will find a file called "stage3-i586-20110208.tar.bz" that
contains a Gentoo stage3 tarball built with CHOST = i586-pc-linux-gnu
and march=i586 (CFLAGS).

If you have an i586 class machine (Pentium, Pentium MMX, AMD K6,
K6-II, etc.) you might want to pick up this stage3 tarball and use it
for your installation in case you don't want to stick with the i486
CHOST of the official Gentoo tarball and / or manually change the
CHOST to i586 after installation.

Installation-wise, of course, you use it in conjunction with a Gentoo
minimal installation CD as can be picked up on any Gentoo mirror, and
simply follow the Gentoo Handbook, using the above mentioned stage3
tarball instead of one of Gentoo's official i486 or i686 ones.

The stage3 is current portage-wise as of today, and if I actually see
people downloading it in the FTP logs I will update it on a regular
basis (probably not weekly as is the case with the official Gentoo
tarballs, but at least once a month).

DISCLAIMER: Although I believe the provided stage3 tarball to work
just fine, it has not been thoroughly tested, so use at your own risk
and report any problems you encounter to me. There shouldn't really be
any, but who knows! ;-)

Greetings,
Nils

--
Nils Holland * Ti Systems, Wunstorf-Luthe (Germany)
Powered by GNU/Linux since 1998

Old 02-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Mark Shields

[...]

Interesting. *Did you build this up from a stage1 or stage2 tarball?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Nils Holland

On 20:07 Tue 08 Feb , Mark Shields wrote:

> Interesting. Did you build this up from a stage1 or stage2 tarball?

Hi Mark,

actually, neither. ;-) I just took an existing stage3 tarball that I
unpacked and chrooted into. I then changed the CHOST / CFLAGS and
rebuild everything, finally tarring the whole thing back up again.

Greetings,
Nils

--
Nils Holland * Ti Systems, Wunstorf-Luthe (Germany)