Old 02-28-2011, 03:37 AM
Valmor de Almeida

Default PDF: convert to grayscale

On 02/08/2011 08:50 AM, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
> Does anyone know a tool (other than ghostscript) that is able to convert
> a PDF (or postscript) to grayscale?
>
> Ghostscript does this, but is unable to convert gradients and fills
> (they're replaced by bitmaps) which results in a too big file unless I
> drastically reduce quality.

Have you tried inkscape? it is in portage.

--
Valmor

Old 02-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2011-02-27, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt> wrote:
> Michael Orlitzky <michael@orlitzky.com> writes:
>
>> On 02/08/11 08:50, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
>>> Does anyone know a tool (other than ghostscript) that is able to convert
>>> a PDF (or postscript) to grayscale?
>>
>> A laserjet? =)
>
> That makes me wonder... in a color printer, I expect it not to print any
> color when it has no color ink, but do grayscale printers apply some
> conversion internally, to make sure that e.g. plain cyan is still
> visible (instead of making it white)?

No.

No matter what transformation you use from a 3-dimensional space into
a 1-dimensional space, there will be sets of values that differ in the
3-dimensional space which map to identical values in the 1-dimensional
space.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm in direct contact
at with many advanced fun

Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Willie Wong

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 03:08:23PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> > That makes me wonder... in a color printer, I expect it not to print any
> > color when it has no color ink, but do grayscale printers apply some
> > conversion internally, to make sure that e.g. plain cyan is still
> > visible (instead of making it white)?
>
> No.
>
> No matter what transformation you use from a 3-dimensional space into
> a 1-dimensional space, there will be sets of values that differ in the
> 3-dimensional space which map to identical values in the 1-dimensional
> space.

But it is trivial to make a transformation that maps to certain sets
of values not more than once. In particular, there's nothing barring
the printer to make it so that only pure white and pure black gets
mapped to white and black, and everything else maps (nonuniquely) to a
shade of grey.

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton