Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   glibc 2.13 warning (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/486117-glibc-2-13-warning.html)

Volker Armin Hemmann 02-07-2011 01:16 PM

glibc 2.13 warning
 
On Monday 07 February 2011 13:34:52 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> Don't install glibc-2.13 if you either use prelinking or run postfix.
> After testing it on my netbook, which uses neither, I installed it on my
> desktop and home server and broke both.

sys-libs/glibc
Available versions: (2.2) [P]*2.2.5-r10!s 2.5-r4!s **2.5.1!s 2.6.1!s
(~)2.7-r2!s 2.8_p20080602-r1!s 2.9_p20081201-r2!s (~)2.9_p20081201-r3!s
2.10.1-r1!s 2.11.2-r3!s (~)2.11.3!s (~)2.12.1-r3!s{tbz2} (~)2.12.2!s{tbz2}
(~)2.13!s{tbz2}
{build crosscompile_opts_headers-only debug gd glibc-compat20 glibc-
omitfp hardened multilib nls nptl nptlonly profile selinux vanilla}
Installed versions: 2.13(2.2)!s{tbz2}(23:14:36 05.02.2011)(gd glibc-
omitfp multilib nls -crosscompile_opts_headers-only -debug -hardened -profile -
selinux -vanilla)
Homepage: http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/libc.html
Description: GNU libc6 (also called glibc2) C library

I] mail-mta/postfix
Available versions: 2.6.5 2.6.6 (~)2.6.7 2.7.1 2.7.2{tbz2} (~)2.8.0-
r1{tbz2} {cdb dovecot-sasl hardened ipv6 ldap mbox mysql nis pam postgres sasl
selinux sqlite ssl vda}
Installed versions: 2.8.0-r1{tbz2}(20:00:10 25.01.2011)(ipv6 mbox mysql
pam postgres sasl sqlite ssl -cdb -dovecot-sasl -hardened -ldap -nis -selinux
-vda)
Homepage: http://www.postfix.org/
Description: A fast and secure drop-in replacement for sendmail.

don't use prelink - but postfix still Works For Me(tm)

Rudmer van Dijk 02-07-2011 03:09 PM

glibc 2.13 warning
 
On Monday 07 February 2011, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> Don't install glibc-2.13 if you either use prelinking or run postfix.

> After testing it on my netbook, which uses neither, I installed it on my

> desktop and home server and broke both.




confirmed, prelink kills the system!

running prelink -u restores it (if you happen to have a root shell open)




so I'm disabling prelink for now, glibc-2.12.2 does not build with latest binutils...







Rudmer

Allan Gottlieb 02-07-2011 03:38 PM

glibc 2.13 warning
 
On Mon, Feb 07 2011, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> On Monday 07 February 2011 13:34:52 Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> Don't install glibc-2.13 if you either use prelinking or run postfix.
>> After testing it on my netbook, which uses neither, I installed it on my
>> desktop and home server and broke both.
>
> sys-libs/glibc
> Available versions: (2.2) [P]*2.2.5-r10!s 2.5-r4!s **2.5.1!s 2.6.1!s
> (~)2.7-r2!s 2.8_p20080602-r1!s 2.9_p20081201-r2!s (~)2.9_p20081201-r3!s
> 2.10.1-r1!s 2.11.2-r3!s (~)2.11.3!s (~)2.12.1-r3!s{tbz2} (~)2.12.2!s{tbz2}
> (~)2.13!s{tbz2}
> {build crosscompile_opts_headers-only debug gd glibc-compat20 glibc-
> omitfp hardened multilib nls nptl nptlonly profile selinux vanilla}
> Installed versions: 2.13(2.2)!s{tbz2}(23:14:36 05.02.2011)(gd glibc-
> omitfp multilib nls -crosscompile_opts_headers-only -debug -hardened -profile -
> selinux -vanilla)
> Homepage: http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/libc.html
> Description: GNU libc6 (also called glibc2) C library
>
> I] mail-mta/postfix
> Available versions: 2.6.5 2.6.6 (~)2.6.7 2.7.1 2.7.2{tbz2} (~)2.8.0-
> r1{tbz2} {cdb dovecot-sasl hardened ipv6 ldap mbox mysql nis pam postgres sasl
> selinux sqlite ssl vda}
> Installed versions: 2.8.0-r1{tbz2}(20:00:10 25.01.2011)(ipv6 mbox mysql
> pam postgres sasl sqlite ssl -cdb -dovecot-sasl -hardened -ldap -nis -selinux
> -vda)
> Homepage: http://www.postfix.org/
> Description: A fast and secure drop-in replacement for sendmail.
>
> don't use prelink - but postfix still Works For Me(tm)

Same for me. I just checked and several bugs have been opened.
Scary.

allan gottlieb

Neil Bothwick 02-07-2011 09:47 PM

glibc 2.13 warning
 
On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 15:16:20 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> don't use prelink - but postfix still Works For Me(tm)

That's odd, it broke local deliveries for me - and others. Fortunately,
nothing was lost, it just stayed in the queue while I recompiled glibc.


--
Neil Bothwick

Am I ignorant or apathetic? I don't know and don't care!

"Holger Hoffstaette" 02-07-2011 11:39 PM

glibc 2.13 warning
 
On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 22:47:01 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 15:16:20 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>
>> don't use prelink - but postfix still Works For Me(tm)
>
> That's odd, it broke local deliveries for me - and others. Fortunately,
> nothing was lost, it just stayed in the queue while I recompiled glibc.

Same here, but are you saying you fixed this by rebuilding 2.13? I ask
because I rebuilt postfix but that did not help. I don't see how
rebuilding glibc-2.13 again will fix this.

thanks
Holger

Neil Bothwick 02-08-2011 07:55 AM

glibc 2.13 warning
 
On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 01:39:15 +0100, Holger Hoffstaette wrote:

> > That's odd, it broke local deliveries for me - and others.
> > Fortunately, nothing was lost, it just stayed in the queue while I
> > recompiled glibc.
>
> Same here, but are you saying you fixed this by rebuilding 2.13? I ask
> because I rebuilt postfix but that did not help. I don't see how
> rebuilding glibc-2.13 again will fix this.

I rebuilt 2.12.2. You have to remove the downgrade check from
$PORTDIR/sys-libs/glibc/files/eblits/pkg_setup.eblit. As the binary
package created with FEATURES=buildpkg contained this check, I could not
emerge -k it, I had to let it compile again.


--
Neil Bothwick

"Time is the best teacher....., unfortunately it kills all the students"

"Holger Hoffstaette" 02-08-2011 08:58 AM

glibc 2.13 warning
 
On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 08:55:27 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 01:39:15 +0100, Holger Hoffstaette wrote:
>
>> > That's odd, it broke local deliveries for me - and others.
>> > Fortunately, nothing was lost, it just stayed in the queue while I
>> > recompiled glibc.
>>
>> Same here, but are you saying you fixed this by rebuilding 2.13? I ask
>> because I rebuilt postfix but that did not help. I don't see how
>> rebuilding glibc-2.13 again will fix this.
>
> I rebuilt 2.12.2. You have to remove the downgrade check from
> $PORTDIR/sys-libs/glibc/files/eblits/pkg_setup.eblit. As the binary
> package created with FEATURES=buildpkg contained this check, I could not
> emerge -k it, I had to let it compile again.

Thanks, that's what I ended up doing just this morning as well. I also had
the binary package built as safety measure and couldn't restore it
back..what a masterpiece of a fuckup.

thanks
-h

Neil Bothwick 02-08-2011 09:40 AM

glibc 2.13 warning
 
On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 10:58:03 +0100, Holger Hoffstaette wrote:

> > I rebuilt 2.12.2. You have to remove the downgrade check from
> > $PORTDIR/sys-libs/glibc/files/eblits/pkg_setup.eblit. As the binary
> > package created with FEATURES=buildpkg contained this check, I could
> > not emerge -k it, I had to let it compile again.
>
> Thanks, that's what I ended up doing just this morning as well. I also
> had the binary package built as safety measure and couldn't restore it
> back..what a masterpiece of a fuckup.

I was tempted to untar the binary package into / and then emerge it after
to clean up any remnants of 2.13, but as postfix was queuing mail and not
bouncing it, I decided to be patient for once.


--
Neil Bothwick

Helmut Jarausch 02-08-2011 10:37 AM

glibc 2.13 warning
 
On 02/07/2011 02:34:52 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> Don't install glibc-2.13 if you either use prelinking or run postfix.
> After testing it on my netbook, which uses neither, I installed it on
> my
> desktop and home server and broke both.

Has anybody tried this
http://psykil.livejournal.com/340806.html



--
Helmut Jarausch
Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Neil Bothwick 02-08-2011 11:20 AM

glibc 2.13 warning
 
On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 12:37:41 +0100, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> > Don't install glibc-2.13 if you either use prelinking or run postfix.
> > After testing it on my netbook, which uses neither, I installed it on
> > my
> > desktop and home server and broke both.
>
> Has anybody tried this
> http://psykil.livejournal.com/340806.html

That's the fix for the prelinking problem, which is covered in more
detail in the forum thread it links to, especially how to recover when
you get a kernel panic.

The postfix issue is separate and needs a glibc downgrade to fix.


--
Neil Bothwick

War does not determine who is right -- only who is left.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:15 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.