Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default glibc 2.13 warning

Apparently, though unproven, at 15:34 on Monday 07 February 2011, Neil
Bothwick did opine thusly:

> Don't install glibc-2.13 if you either use prelinking or run postfix.
> After testing it on my netbook, which uses neither, I installed it on my
> desktop and home server and broke both.

hehe, I'm safe :-)

I've hardmasked >=glibc-2.12 ever since the blatantly untested cock up that
was the first testing version of glibc-2.12 hit the tree

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 23:49:33 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> hehe, I'm safe :-)
>
> I've hardmasked >=glibc-2.12 ever since the blatantly untested cock up
> that was the first testing version of glibc-2.12 hit the tree

Now if only you could mask your smugness plugin :P

Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 00:23 on Wednesday 09 February 2011, Neil
Bothwick did opine thusly:

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 23:49:33 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > hehe, I'm safe :-)
> >
> > I've hardmasked >=glibc-2.12 ever since the blatantly untested cock up
> > that was the first testing version of glibc-2.12 hit the tree
>
> Now if only you could mask your smugness plugin :P

I'm trying. I'm not succeeding.

Wetware works different to software.

<sigh>

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 00:36:24 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Wetware works different to software.

Yes, you can't reboot it whenever it annoys you.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:03 AM
Allan Gottlieb

On Tue, Feb 08 2011, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 12:37:41 +0100, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>
>> > Don't install glibc-2.13 if you either use prelinking or run postfix.
>> > After testing it on my netbook, which uses neither, I installed it on
>> > my
>> > desktop and home server and broke both.
>>
>> Has anybody tried this
>> http://psykil.livejournal.com/340806.html
>
> That's the fix for the prelinking problem, which is covered in more
> detail in the forum thread it links to, especially how to recover when
> you get a kernel panic.
>
> The postfix issue is separate and needs a glibc downgrade to fix.

I am not sure I understand. I did the glibc upgrade and have not
downgraded. I run postfix and my mail is coming and going. I had
thought/hoped that postfix does work with the new glibc if you don't do
prelinking (which is my configuration: 2-13 glibc, postfix, no prelink).

If glibc-2.13 kills postfix w/o prelinking then perhaps, I am just lucky
and my overall configuration is such that it "works for me". I am
assuming that a glibc fix will be forthcoming quickly so am not anxious
to downgrade, but am even less anxious to have postfix suddenly stop
working.

Thanks for keeping us informed.
allan

Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 00:03:36 -0500, Allan Gottlieb wrote:

> > The postfix issue is separate and needs a glibc downgrade to fix.
>
> I am not sure I understand. I did the glibc upgrade and have not
> downgraded. I run postfix and my mail is coming and going. I had
> thought/hoped that postfix does work with the new glibc if you don't do
> prelinking (which is my configuration: 2-13 glibc, postfix, no prelink).
>
> If glibc-2.13 kills postfix w/o prelinking then perhaps, I am just lucky
> and my overall configuration is such that it "works for me".

I think you're lucky, as is Volker. A number of people, me included, have
had Postfix fail with

postfix/local[4452]: fatal: unable to determine open file limit
postfix/master[4001]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/local pid 4452 exit status 1
postfix/master[4001]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/local: bad command startup -- throttling

Prelinking is not involved, so it must be down to how you have configured
Postfix, probably the local delivery settings.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Allan Gottlieb

On Wed, Feb 09 2011, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 00:03:36 -0500, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>
>> > The postfix issue is separate and needs a glibc downgrade to fix.
>>
>> I am not sure I understand. I did the glibc upgrade and have not
>> downgraded. I run postfix and my mail is coming and going. I had
>> thought/hoped that postfix does work with the new glibc if you don't
>> do prelinking (which is my configuration: 2-13 glibc, postfix, no
>> prelink).
>>
>> If glibc-2.13 kills postfix w/o prelinking then perhaps, I am just
>> lucky and my overall configuration is such that it "works for me".
>
> I think you're lucky, as is Volker. A number of people, me included,
> have had Postfix fail with
>
> postfix/local[4452]: fatal: unable to determine open file limit
> postfix/master[4001]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/local pid 4452
> exit status 1 postfix/master[4001]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/local:
> bad command startup -- throttling
>
> Prelinking is not involved, so it must be down to how you have
> configured Postfix, probably the local delivery settings.

Thanks neil for the explanation and thank you my lucky stars for sparing
me this mail failure.

allan

Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Nils Holland

On 13:34 Mon 07 Feb , Neil Bothwick wrote:

> Don't install glibc-2.13 if you either use prelinking or run postfix.
> After testing it on my netbook, which uses neither, I installed it on my
> desktop and home server and broke both.

Thanks a lot, I've read your mail just in time. Actually, glibc 2.13
krept onto my first machine Monday night - I generally test new
versions of such "far reaching" stuff as glibc on a single machine
first before letting to onto all of my boxes. I didn't have any
problems with the new glibc, and tonight I would have updated a few
additional machines, one of which happens to run Postfix. I guess I'm
going to delay that a bit now. ;-)

Greetings,
Nils

--
Nils Holland * Ti Systems, Wunstorf-Luthe (Germany)
Powered by GNU/Linux since 1998

Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 23:23:50 +0100, Nils Holland wrote:

> Thanks a lot, I've read your mail just in time. Actually, glibc 2.13
> krept onto my first machine Monday night - I generally test new
> versions of such "far reaching" stuff as glibc on a single machine
> first before letting to onto all of my boxes. I didn't have any
> problems with the new glibc, and tonight I would have updated a few
> additional machines, one of which happens to run Postfix.

That's what happened to me, I updated one box, rebooted, made sure things
worked and then updated the Postfix server and the prelinked desktop.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 PM
walt

Thanks a lot, I've read your mail just in time. Actually, glibc 2.13
krept onto my first machine Monday night - I generally test new
versions of such "far reaching" stuff as glibc on a single machine
first before letting to onto all of my boxes. I didn't have any
problems with the new glibc, and tonight I would have updated a few
additional machines, one of which happens to run Postfix.

That's what happened to me, I updated one box, rebooted, made sure things
worked and then updated the Postfix server and the prelinked desktop.

Could you explain a bit about prelinking? Does it have anything to do with
the sys-devel/prelink package or the gentoo 'prelink' useflag?

Or maybe Alan, if he's done polishing his humility plugin