Old 02-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Andrew Lowe

Default Given the rough end of the pineapple by liblzma.so.0

Hi all,
I'm updating my machine and things were going well until something died
and I got a big long list of reports. You know the ones, that emerge
spits out after each package compiles and tells you to run
etc-update/revdep-rebuild/gcc-config etc. Anyway, one of them was from:

app-arch/xz-utils-5.0.1

telling me to run revdep-rebuild:

# revdep-rebuild --library '/usr/lib64/liblzma.so.0'

and then delete liblzma

# rm '/usr/lib64/liblzma.so.0'

Being a good boy, I did as I was told, ran revdep-rebuild then rm, had a
bit of a fiddle round to try and fix the thing that caused the initial
death and then kicked off the emerge world again. This is where the fun
now begins. Now kdelibs-4.6.0-r1 can't find liblzma.so.0. The building
of kdelibs now fails with:

cmake: error while loading shared libraries: liblzma.so.0: cannot open

I had a look in /usr/lib and found:

*********************

bluey lib # ls -la liblzma*.*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 911 Feb 6 22:14 liblzma.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Feb 6 22:14 liblzma.so -> liblzma.so.5.0.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Feb 6 22:14 liblzma.so.5 -> liblzma.so.5.0.1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 141592 Feb 6 22:14 liblzma.so.5.0.1
bluey lib #

*********************

No .0, which, as you would remember from before, I've deleted. So what
do I do now. I attempted to reinstall xz-utils but nothing changed. Do I
need to install an old version of xz-utils? Do I just do a sym link from
liblzma.so.5.0.1 to .0 and all will be well. Anyone got any ideas?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

Andrew

Old 02-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Mike Gilbert

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Andrew Lowe <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:
> telling me to run revdep-rebuild:
>
> * * * *# revdep-rebuild --library '/usr/lib64/liblzma.so.0'

Did it tell you to give the full path the liblzma or just the library
name "liblzma.so.0"? I suspect this is where you went astray.

Anyway, a simple "revdep-rebuild" with no options should fix your
system; you have removed the offending library, so it should detect
the breakage automatically.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 23:09:09 +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote:

> bluey lib # ls -la liblzma*.*
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 911 Feb 6 22:14 liblzma.la
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Feb 6 22:14 liblzma.so ->
> liblzma.so.5.0.1 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Feb 6 22:14
> liblzma.so.5 -> liblzma.so.5.0.1 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 141592 Feb 6
> 22:14 liblzma.so.5.0.1 bluey lib #
>
> *********************
>
> No .0, which, as you would remember from before, I've deleted. So what
> do I do now. I attempted to reinstall xz-utils but nothing changed. Do
> I need to install an old version of xz-utils? Do I just do a sym link
> from liblzma.so.5.0.1 to .0 and all will be well. Anyone got any ideas?

Start with lafilefixer --justfixit

Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Andrew Lowe

# revdep-rebuild --library '/usr/lib64/liblzma..so.0'

Did it tell you to give the full path the liblzma or just the library
name "liblzma.so.0"? I suspect this is where you went astray.

Anyway, a simple "revdep-rebuild" with no options should fix your
system; you have removed the offending library, so it should detect
the breakage automatically.

Tried Neil's lafilefixer, but unfortunately it didn't fix the problem.
Mike's revdep_rebuild itself didn't fix the problem but did identify
that libarchive was not in the best of health. A manual emerge of
libarchive appears to have now fixed the problem.

Thanks gentlemen for the suggestions,

Andrew