Old 02-06-2011, 03:23 AM
Harry Putnam

Default Syntax in the launch script

This is a little of the beaten track for this forum but there doesn't
seem to be a regular Xming forum. Also since my problem is related
to running emacs thru xming, I tried on emacs.help more than once to
get this figured out.

Any emacs users here will know about emacslcient, and maybe some of
you are experienced users. I've used it a bit but not ever very
consistently over time.

Right now, I'm using Xming running on Win7 to start emacs on my linux
destop but it runs in Xming on windows 7 desktop.

Quite a nice setup, but so far I've been loading a specific set of
fonts and back/fore ground colors (in emacs) ... It seems to loose
track of the default font when started this way.

I want to combine loading that little `library' I wrote (just a brief
*.el file) with the emacsclient cmdline inside the Xming launch
script.

It appears to be just Xml I guess.. And here is what I use now:
(left unwrapped)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<XLaunch xmlns="http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes XLaunch.xsd" WindowMode="MultiWindow" ClientMode="StartProgram" Program="emacsclient -s nognus -c " ClientStart="PuTTY" PasswordStart="true" RemoteHost="reader" RemoteUser="reader" Clipboard="true"/>

That starts emacs running on windows 7 based on the emacs server named
`nognus'

So the basic syntax, like you'd do from linux cmdline is:

emacsclient -s nognus -c

And to load the library I want loaded it is:

emacsclient -c -s nognus -e "(load-library "xming-on-m1")"

(xming-on-m1 sets the default font, and fore/backgrd colors)

That command line starts emacs in new frame running from the server
named nognus.

How to get that into the xml is the part where I'm falling down.

If you replace the cmd shown in the above xml code:

emacsclient -s nognus -c

with emacsclient -c -s nognus -e "(load-library "xming-on-m1")"

That fails... I've tried all different kind of escaping and such as I
could come up with. But it all has provoked an error along the line
that I have left out a needed white space at char number N.

It usually falls right at "(load somewhere.

The error pops up on the win7 desktop and is coming right from the
xming launch script... not from emacs.

So as a starting point, the xml code above as shown starts emacs as
expected.

A couple of attempts I've tried:

"(load-library "xming-on-m1")"

"(load-library "xming-on-m1")"

Then double escapes and on and on.

I don't know do-do about xml but hoped that someone here would know
how to get the needed code past the script and on to emacs.

I'm thinking some kind of combination of escape and quote but maybe
I'm clear off base.