-   -   IDE recommendations for writing C? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/485541-ide-recommendations-writing-c.html)

Mark Knecht 02-05-2011 09:08 PM

IDE recommendations for writing C?

Can someone recommend a good IDE to write C code in?

1) Something that can display multiple files in a project.

2) Something that have some sort of version control built into it?

3) If possible, I can compile right in the IDE.

I've starting writing something. It's hundreds of lines long in 1 file
and I just messed up a brace somewhere which I haven't been able to
figure out in vi.

Thanks,
Mark

Alex Schuster 02-05-2011 09:39 PM

Mark Knecht writes:

> Can someone recommend a good IDE to write C code in?
>
> 1) Something that can display multiple files in a project.
>
> 2) Something that have some sort of version control built into it?
>
> 3) If possible, I can compile right in the IDE.

Emacs. If you dare to go this way. The learning curve is high, but once
you know how to use it, you probably will be glad.
Eclipse is pretty cool, and I've heard good things about Kdevelop.

> I've starting writing something. It's hundreds of lines long in 1 file
> and I just messed up a brace somewhere which I haven't been able to
> figure out in vi.

Just use the % key.

Wonko

Jacob Todd 02-05-2011 10:13 PM