Old 02-06-2008, 06:28 AM
"Anthony E. Caudel"

Default To x86_64 or not to x86_64

I have an AMD 64x2 that I have been using only in x86 mode since I got
it. I have been thinking of going to x86_64 mode but I'm wondering if
it's worth the trouble with multilib, chroot'ing, firefox-bin and other
compromises (admittedly some minor). I realize I should see some speed
increase but probably only in certain areas such as compiling.

So, for those users who have used both, is it worth it overall?

Tony

--
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-06-2008, 07:22 AM
"Canek Peláez Valdés"

On Feb 6, 2008 1:28 AM, Anthony E. Caudel <tony.caudel@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[...]
> So, for those users who have used both, is it worth it overall?

I've been using amd64 two years now, and the only 32 bit applications
that *I* use are firefox-bin and mplayer-bin. With swfdec[1] getting
better and better, the former will be unnecessary soon (I hope); and I
haven't used the later in a *long* time (almost *all* videos are even
handled by Totem/GStreamer now, if you unmask and install all the
gst-plugins).

I don't know about the speed difference, but it's really not too much
pain to use amd64.

[1] http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Facultad de Ciencias, UNAM

Old 02-06-2008, 07:24 AM
"Canek Peláez Valdés"

On Feb 6, 2008 2:22 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> [1] http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/

By the way, *right now* I'm using Firefox in 64 bits, because YouTube
now works with swfdec.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Facultad de Ciencias, UNAM

Old 02-06-2008, 07:33 AM
Juul Spies

Anthony E. Caudel schreef:

I have an AMD 64x2 that I have been using only in x86 mode since I got
it. I have been thinking of going to x86_64 mode but I'm wondering if
it's worth the trouble with multilib, chroot'ing, firefox-bin and other
compromises (admittedly some minor). I realize I should see some speed
increase but probably only in certain areas such as compiling.

So, for those users who have used both, is it worth it overall?

I've used both and don't notice any difference for the stuff I'm using
my computer for.

Only 32bit application I'm using is firefox.

I'm not sure if compiling is faster because I let emerge run in the
background while watching a movie.

Overall it works fine for me but I don't see much difference comparing
my install to a 32bit install.

--
Juul Spies

Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2008, Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
> I have an AMD 64x2 that I have been using only in x86 mode since I got
> it. I have been thinking of going to x86_64 mode but I'm wondering if
> it's worth the trouble with multilib

which trouble?

> , chroot'ing,

never needed.

> firefox-bin and other

not needed anymore either. flash does work in the 'normal' firefox just fine.

> compromises (admittedly some minor). I realize I should see some speed
> increase but probably only in certain areas such as compiling.
>
> So, for those users who have used both, is it worth it overall?

I have never used x86 on my amd64 systems - and I never had the need to
chroot. Or do other silly stuff. Things just work.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2008, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008 2:22 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > [1] http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/
>
> By the way, *right now* I'm using Firefox in 64 bits, because YouTube
> now works with swfdec.

emm, 'normal' flash does work too. For a loooong time.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:06 AM
"Canek Peláez Valdés"

On Feb 6, 2008 3:03 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2008, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> > On Feb 6, 2008 2:22 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > [1] http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/
> >
> > By the way, *right now* I'm using Firefox in 64 bits, because YouTube
> > now works with swfdec.
>
> emm, 'normal' flash does work too. For a loooong time.

You mean with nspluginwrapper? That didn't work for me (it stopped
displaying flash without any reason). If you don't mean
nspluginwrapper, I don't know what do you mean with 'normal'.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Facultad de Ciencias, UNAM

Old 02-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Jan Seeger

Old 02-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2008, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008 3:03 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
>
> <volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
> > On Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2008, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> > > On Feb 6, 2008 2:22 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > By the way, *right now* I'm using Firefox in 64 bits, because YouTube
> > > now works with swfdec.
> >
> > emm, 'normal' flash does work too. For a loooong time.
>
> You mean with nspluginwrapper? That didn't work for me (it stopped
> displaying flash without any reason). If you don't mean
> nspluginwrapper, I don't know what do you mean with 'normal'.

well, nspluginwrapper is installed. I don't care for the details

Flash works for me with 'real flash' is all I need to know.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2008, Jan Seeger wrote:
> On Wed, 06. Feb, Volker Armin Hemmann spammed my inbox with
> <snip>
>
> > not needed anymore either. flash does work in the 'normal' firefox just
> > fine.
>
> Come again? I would be very glad to finally ditch the binary firefox, but
> using nspluginwrapper didn't work. You can use netscape-flash with a
> 64-bit-compiled firefox? Please tell me how.

emerge firefox:

* www-client/mozilla-firefox
Latest version available: 2.0.0.11
Latest version installed: 2.0.0.11