Old 02-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Brian Waters

Default Avoiding HAL

Hi there. I recently took a few months off from Gentoo to try Ubuntu
(I heard it "just works", and that is a Good Thing) only to find that
I'd much rather be back on Gentoo again. (The fact that Ubuntu ships
with PulseAudio means that sound it basically broken out of the box,
and I'm excited for Xfce 4.8.)

It's been a few months since I've been around, and I'd like to know if
HAL has been fully deprecated yet. I'd like to avoid using it if at
all possible, since that seems to be the way of the future. So I'm
wondering what versions of udev and X server (and any other packages,
dbus maybe?) I need to unmask in order to get rid of the HAL
dependency.

Thanks a lot!

- BW

Old 02-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Brian Waters <brianmwaters@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> So I'm
> wondering what versions of udev and X server (and any other packages,
> dbus maybe?) I need to unmask in order to get rid of the HAL
> dependency.

Using GNOME, the only package that depends by default on HAL is
gnome-power-manager (+hal dependency). Excepting for that one, if you
remove hal from your use flags nothing will try to pull it. I'm not
sure with Xfce or KDE.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés