Old 02-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Francisco Ares

Default init scripts failing after server update

Hi

Around 8 to 10 months I've left a server without updates, and now, after also building a new kernel, emerging new gcc, glibc, re-emerging baselayout, sysvinit and all packages that contains something in /etc/init.d/ , the boot process hangs after a few of the scripts (normally at keymaps or consolefont) returns their "ok" message.

If I use the option to key in an "i" for interactive boot and skip all remaining services, I get a login prompt on TTY1 through TTY6 as expected, and if I issue every script on the boot and default rc-levels, everything works fine (well, one or two of them complain about something specific, but the important thing is that it doesn't hang at all).

Any ideas? The server is up and running (apache, ssh, samba, svn, mysql, ftp, nfs, distcc, etc.) so I'm not in a hurry.

I'm thinking on unmerging sysvinit and baselayout just to make sure there is no garbage left, then re-emerging them.

Thanks
Francisco
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw