Old 02-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Jarry

Default How can I reset mount-count?

Hi,
I use one drive just for backup, co I mount/unmount it only when
I need it (quite frequently). Since some time I started getting
these messages in /var/log/kernel.log:

kernel: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
kernel: EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is
recommended

kernel: EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal
kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.

So I unmounted /dev/sda1 and checked partition as recommended:
e2fsck -f /dev/sda1

All tests passed, no errors reported, output seems normal.
But when I mount it, I get the above mentioned message again.
Apparently, mount-counter has not been reset. So how can I
reset it?

I think, that message indicate that fsck will check that
partition while doing next backup. I would like to avoid
it, as it is rather large partition (2TB) with a lot of
files, and fsck takes quite long time...

Jarry

Old 02-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 22:05 on Tuesday 01 February 2011, Jarry did
opine thusly:

> Hi,
> I use one drive just for backup, co I mount/unmount it only when
> I need it (quite frequently). Since some time I started getting
> these messages in /var/log/kernel.log:
>
> kernel: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
> kernel: EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is
> recommended
> kernel: EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal
> kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
>
> So I unmounted /dev/sda1 and checked partition as recommended:
> e2fsck -f /dev/sda1
>
> All tests passed, no errors reported, output seems normal.
> But when I mount it, I get the above mentioned message again.
> Apparently, mount-counter has not been reset. So how can I
> reset it?
>
> I think, that message indicate that fsck will check that
> partition while doing next backup. I would like to avoid
> it, as it is rather large partition (2TB) with a lot of
> files, and fsck takes quite long time...

tune2fs -C

The command you used just forces a proper check regardless of what the count
says. it doesn't actually affect the count.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Dale

Jarry wrote:

[...]

Check out tune2fs's man page. I think one of the options there will
help you. Also, you can use dumpe2fs to see the count. That is also
shown with the tune2fs command tho.

One more thing, if you just want it to print certain info, grep would be
your friend. ;-) It spits out a lot here.

I also googled a bit and it does appear that the booting check resets
the counter. At least that was what one poster said. May not be the
case now but thought I would mention it.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Nils Holland

On 15:16 Tue 01 Feb , Dale wrote:

> I also googled a bit and it does appear that the booting check resets
> the counter. At least that was what one poster said. May not be the
> case now but thought I would mention it.

Yep, the check at boot that gets executed after the specified maximum
mount count has been reached definitely resets the mount count to 0
again, I've probably witnessed that millions of times myself in my
life. ;-)

Observation(tm): From the e2fsck man page: "e2fsck -p: Automatically
repair ("preen") the file system. This option will cause e2fsck to
automatically fix any filesystem problems that can be safely fixed
without human intervention. [...] This option is normally run by the
system's boot scripts".

The "-p" option to e2fsck acutually resets the mount count back to 0,
even when executed manually (and not as part of a script at boot time).

Greetings,
Nils

--
Nils Holland * Ti Systems, Wunsorf-Luthe (Germany)
Powered by GNU/Linux since 1998

Old 02-03-2011, 01:20 AM
walt