Old 02-06-2008, 03:46 AM
Enrico Weigelt

Default OT: Mixer filesystem

Hi folks,

I'm currently developing an synthetic filesystem for audio mixer
control. It does all the OS/driver specific stuff within the
fileserver, so applications can acces the mixer settings in an
completely platform agnostic and network transparent way:

http://j.metux.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50

Maybe some of you's interested in it ?

cu

Old 02-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Iain Buchanan

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 05:46 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> I'm currently developing an synthetic filesystem for audio mixer
> control. It does all the OS/driver specific stuff within the
> fileserver, so applications can acces the mixer settings in an
> completely platform agnostic and network transparent way:
>
> http://j.metux.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50
>
> Maybe some of you's interested in it ?

interesting, yes, but what's the point? (not saying it's useless, just
that I missed something). What would I use it for?

You can't evaluate a man by logic alone.
-- McCoy, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3

Old 02-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Enrico Weigelt

* Iain Buchanan <iaindb@netspace.net.au> wrote:

> interesting, yes, but what's the point? (not saying it's useless, just
> that I missed something). What would I use it for?

For a better understanding I'd suggest a bit research on Plan9 ;-P

In Plan9 everything runs through filesystems (even more than
on *nix). Instead of large applications and dozens of frameworks
we have fileservers for many things, even the windowing system
is accessed via the filessystem. So filesystem trees (accessed
via the 9P protocol) are the universal IPC. This makes the whole
thing completely network transparent and platform agnostic.

The MixerFS is one of the puzzle pieces. It provides an easy to
use interface for applications which want to control mixers. So
(once the apps have been ported ;-P) there's no more dependency
to any platform specific stuff and the whole thing is immediately
network transparent.

One of the next steps is an audio io filesystem, which replaces
things like esd or jack.

I'm also currently moving out several things from mozilla to
their own fileservers.

cu

Old 02-08-2008, 04:30 PM
"Jason Dusek"

Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
> I'm also currently moving out several things from mozilla to
> their own fileservers.

What kinds of things?

--
_jsn

Old 02-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Enrico Weigelt

* Jason Dusek <jason.dusek@gmail.com> wrote:
> Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
> > I'm also currently moving out several things from mozilla to
> > their own fileservers.
>
> What kinds of things?

* profile data, eg. bookmarks, secrets, addressbook
* plugins
* mail/message storage
* url access
* download manager