Old 01-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default emerge on really old tree

Apparently, though unproven, at 18:35 on Monday 31 January 2011, Andrei Brezan
did opine thusly:

> [...]
> RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev glint intel
> mach64 mga neomagic nouveau nv r128 radeon savage sis tdfx trident vesa
> via vmware voodoo" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2
> ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq
> steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
> Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK,
> LANG, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS,
> PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY
>
> I tried with --nodeps for both portage which complains about python
> version and doesn't want to install and for python itself i get:
>
> x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -pthread -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -L. -Xlinker
> -export-dynamic -o python
> Modules/python.o
> -L. -lpython2.6 -lpthread -ldl -lutil -lm
> running build
> running build_ext
> error: /ffi.h: No such file or directory
> make: *** [sharedmods] Error 1
> *
> * ERROR: dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r1 failed.
> * Call stack:
> * ebuild.sh, line 49: Called src_compile
> * environment, line 5556: Called _eapi2_src_compile
> * ebuild.sh, line 634: Called die
> * The specific snippet of code:
> * emake || die "emake failed"
> * The die message:
> * emake failed
> *
> * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call
> stack if relevant.
> * A complete build log is located at
> '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r1/temp/build.log'.
> * The ebuild environment file is located at
> '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r1/temp/environment'.
> *

> * Messages for package dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r1:
>
> * "bsddb" module is out-of-date and no longer maintained inside
> dev-lang/python. It has
> * been additionally removed in Python 3. You should use external,
> still maintained "bsddb3"
> * module provided by dev-python/bsddb3 which supports both Python 2
> and Python 3.
> *
> * ERROR: dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r1 failed.
> * Call stack:
> * ebuild.sh, line 49: Called src_compile
> * environment, line 5556: Called _eapi2_src_compile
> * ebuild.sh, line 634: Called die
> * The specific snippet of code:
> * emake || die "emake failed"
> * The die message:
> * emake failed
> *
> * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call
> stack if relevant.
> * A complete build log is located at
> '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r1/temp/build.log'.
> * The ebuild environment file is located at
> '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r1/temp/environment'.
>
> Is it possible to update this system? If yes please shed some light or

It's certainly possible to update the old machine, but the real question is,
do you want to go through all that effort?

You will probably have to deal with multiple situations that follow this
pattern:

some package version X needs to be upgraded to version x+2. But there's some
other package that prevents you doing this immediately as there are blockers
in place. So you upgrade the other package, then upgrade the first one to
version X+1. Then do it all again to finally get the first package to version
X+2

You also have python-2.4 in there which needs to go to 2.6. Ouch. I have
horrible visions of running python-updater multiple times....

Gentoo shares its roots with FreeBSD but running Gentoo daily is always more
involved than with FreeBSD, especially cases like this. You cannot just
upgrade from eg Gentoo-5 to Gentoo-6 as these concepts do not exist.

It is so much easier to just backup your data files and re-install, then
restore the data. It'll take a few hours, trying to upgrade might take days.

If you want to try, start with "emerge -avuND system", get that to complete
and take it from there.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 PM
Mick

On Monday 31 January 2011 19:57:01 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 18:35 on Monday 31 January 2011, Andrei
> Brezan
>
> did opine thusly:

[snip ...]
> > Is it possible to update this system? If yes please shed some light or
> > point me in the right direction.
>
> It's certainly possible to update the old machine, but the real question
> is, do you want to go through all that effort?
>
> You will probably have to deal with multiple situations that follow this
> pattern:
>
> some package version X needs to be upgraded to version x+2. But there's
> some other package that prevents you doing this immediately as there are
> blockers in place. So you upgrade the other package, then upgrade the
> first one to version X+1. Then do it all again to finally get the first
> package to version X+2
>
> You also have python-2.4 in there which needs to go to 2.6. Ouch. I have
> horrible visions of running python-updater multiple times....
>
> Gentoo shares its roots with FreeBSD but running Gentoo daily is always
> more involved than with FreeBSD, especially cases like this. You cannot
> just upgrade from eg Gentoo-5 to Gentoo-6 as these concepts do not exist.
>
> It is so much easier to just backup your data files and re-install, then
> restore the data. It'll take a few hours, trying to upgrade might take
> days.
>
> If you want to try, start with "emerge -avuND system", get that to complete
> and take it from there.

Only to reinforce what Alan says. Sometimes even a month or two is enough to
cause headaches if cornerstone packages of the toolchain have been updated
more than once.

Unless you want to undertake this for self-punishment purposes, it will be
much easier to back up /home /etc and /var/lib/portage/world from the current
system and reinstall using the last two directories to minimise manual
configuration of your box.
Mick

Old 01-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 00:49 on Tuesday 01 February 2011, Mick did
opine thusly:

> > It is so much easier to just backup your data files and re-install, then
> > restore the data. It'll take a few hours, trying to upgrade might take
> > days.
> >
> > If you want to try, start with "emerge -avuND system", get that to
> > complete and take it from there.
>
> Only to reinforce what Alan says. Sometimes even a month or two is enough
> to cause headaches if cornerstone packages of the toolchain have been
> updated more than once.
>
> Unless you want to undertake this for self-punishment purposes, it will be
> much easier to back up /home /etc and /var/lib/portage/world from the
> current system and reinstall using the last two directories to minimise
> manual configuration of your box.

:-)

I thought of some more logic.

A box running python-2.4.x will likely need most of it's packages updated
anyway, probably at least 90% given the high rate of ebuild churn in portage.

So one can spent many fruitless hours navigating through all the blockers
figuring out in what order that 90%+ must be built. With very high odds that
some emerges will fail needing manual intervention.

Or rather just start over and let portage figure it out reliably as there will
be no blockers. With very high odds that no emerges will fail, resulting in no
manual intervention.

I've also found that masochistically trying to figure out it all out (yes I
have tried it...) taught me nothing. Eventually I would just:

emerge -C <gigantic list of everything mentioned in blocker output>
emerge -av <gigantic list of everything mentioned in blocker output>

So it's not even a learning opportunity. But upgrading to KDE-4.6.0 from 4.5.x
when I had kbluetooth installed - now *that* was an excellent learning
opportunity.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-01-2011, 06:00 AM
Mick

On Monday 31 January 2011 23:31:23 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> So it's not even a learning opportunity. But upgrading to KDE-4.6.0 from
> 4.5.x when I had kbluetooth installed - now *that* was an excellent
> learning opportunity.

Tell us more ... what are the gotchas?
Mick

Old 02-01-2011, 06:33 AM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 09:00 on Tuesday 01 February 2011, Mick did
opine thusly:

> On Monday 31 January 2011 23:31:23 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > So it's not even a learning opportunity. But upgrading to KDE-4.6.0 from
> > 4.5.x when I had kbluetooth installed - now *that* was an excellent
> > learning opportunity.
>
> Tell us more ... what are the gotchas?

Portage can deal with a pure kde-4.5.x to 4.6.0 upgrade, the blockers are all
soft ones so they just get automagically dealt with.

But kbluetooth has this gem:

COMMON_DEPEND="
<kde-base/kdelibs-4.6[semantic-desktop?]
<kde-base/libkworkspace-4.6
<kde-base/solid-4.6[bluetooth]
"

Oops. Blocks kdelibs. Basically nothing can proceed but portage doesn't know
that so it dumps about 300 lines of errors on-screen. And the poor user has to
sift through all of that to find the root cause. It's there, just hidden right
in the middle of all the other junk on screen

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:

Portage can deal with a pure kde-4.5.x to 4.6.0 upgrade, the blockers are all
soft ones so they just get automagically dealt with.

But kbluetooth has this gem:

COMMON_DEPEND="
<kde-base/kdelibs-4.6[semantic-desktop?]
<kde-base/libkworkspace-4.6
<kde-base/solid-4.6[bluetooth]
"

Oops. Blocks kdelibs. Basically nothing can proceed but portage doesn't know
that so it dumps about 300 lines of errors on-screen. And the poor user has to
sift through all of that to find the root cause. It's there, just hidden right
in the middle of all the other junk on screen

Do you have k3b installed? I tried to install it here, it was a blocker
earlier so I -C'd it, and it appears k3b wants a older version of qt
stuff and KDE 4.6 wants the new versions of qt stuff. I have not been
able to work around this yet but would love to know if it is doable yet.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Sebastian Beßler