Old 01-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Alex Schuster

Default dd'ing small drive to large one

Hi there!

There is a PC with a 160 GB SATA drive, and I want to replace it with one of
about 1 TB in size. Would this work?

- attach 2nd drive via SATA port or USB->SATA convertor
- boot from rescue CD
- dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
- remove sda, attach sdb to where sda was
- reboot
- add other partitions or enlarge the last one

I do not expect problems, but I'm not entirely sure. Maybe the different
drive geometry would have an effect on file system or at least to the Grub
boot loader?

The system is remote, so I will not do the exchange personally. I will only
make the additional space usable once the system is back up and running. The
person who does the replacement does not know too much about LVM and file
systems, and how to make a Gentoo system work again if the boot partition
got corrupted. He will use Norton Ghost to duplicate the drive's contents. I
would prefer dd, but the person is a Windows guy, and Ghost will probably do
the job as well.

Wonko

Old 01-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Allan Gottlieb

On Mon, Jan 31 2011, Alex Schuster wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> There is a PC with a 160 GB SATA drive, and I want to replace it with one of
> about 1 TB in size. Would this work?
>
> - attach 2nd drive via SATA port or USB->SATA convertor
> - boot from rescue CD
> - dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
> - remove sda, attach sdb to where sda was
> - reboot
> - add other partitions or enlarge the last one
>
> I do not expect problems, but I'm not entirely sure. Maybe the different
> drive geometry would have an effect on file system or at least to the Grub
> boot loader?

Won't dd'ing the whole disk will make the 1TB disk a 160GB disk.

I would partition the TB disk as you like and
do a tar or rsync on each partition of the original.

Some care would be needed for /dev and I don't think things like /proc
should be copied.

allan