FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Helmut Jarausch
 
Default USB stick recognition problem

Hi,

since a few weeks I have a strange effect with my USB stick.

According to fdisk there is one partition on it
/dev/sde1 38 7839719 3919841 b W95 FAT32

which I haven't changed for a long time.

Whenever I insert this stick, the kernel log shows
/dev/sde but not /dev/sde1 (and there is no file /dev/sde1)

After Invoking fdisk /dev/sde with a simple 'p' command but nothing
else, this device shows up.

Has anybody an idea what's going on here?

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut.
 
Old 02-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Gregory SACRE
 
Default USB stick recognition problem

Hi Helmut,


It sounds like there is a problem with the partition table on your USB
stick. It might be the consequence of a hardware failure (read or more
probably write) at some point.
If, as you mention, once you do an fdisk then "p", you can use once
again your USB stick, then maybe save everything you have on it, then
create a new partition table using fdisk on that disk and format the
whole thing.


Hope that helps,

Greg

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since a few weeks I have a strange effect with my USB stick.
>
> According to fdisk there is one partition on it
> /dev/sde1 * * * * * * *38 * * 7839719 * * 3919841 * *b *W95 FAT32
>
> which I haven't changed for a long time.
>
> Whenever I insert this stick, the kernel log shows
> /dev/sde *but not /dev/sde1 *(and there is no file /dev/sde1)
>
> After Invoking fdisk /dev/sde with a simple 'p' command but nothing
> else, this device shows up.
>
> Has anybody an idea what's going on here?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut.
>
>
 
Old 02-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Paul Hartman
 
Default USB stick recognition problem

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 3:43 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since a few weeks I have a strange effect with my USB stick.
>
> According to fdisk there is one partition on it
> /dev/sde1 * * * * * * *38 * * 7839719 * * 3919841 * *b *W95 FAT32
>
> which I haven't changed for a long time.
>
> Whenever I insert this stick, the kernel log shows
> /dev/sde *but not /dev/sde1 *(and there is no file /dev/sde1)
>
> After Invoking fdisk /dev/sde with a simple 'p' command but nothing
> else, this device shows up.
>
> Has anybody an idea what's going on here?

I have a USB SD-card reader which cannot read the partition table when
first inserted into the PC. But, if I issue "hdparm -z /dev/sdg" then
the kernel re-reads the partition table and everything works fine
after that. You can try it, maybe it'll work for you, too.
 
Old 02-02-2011, 08:29 PM
walt
 
Default USB stick recognition problem

On 02/02/2011 07:48 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:


I have a USB SD-card reader which cannot read the partition table when
first inserted into the PC. But, if I issue "hdparm -z /dev/sdg" then
the kernel re-reads the partition table and everything works fine
after that.


That sounds to me like a bug Is it 100% reproducible, and do you see
the same on other computers?

And, let us not forget the Ultimate Gold Standard: does it work on Windows?
 
Old 02-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Mick
 
Default USB stick recognition problem

On Wednesday 02 February 2011 21:29:22 walt wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 07:48 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
> > I have a USB SD-card reader which cannot read the partition table when
> > first inserted into the PC. But, if I issue "hdparm -z /dev/sdg" then
> > the kernel re-reads the partition table and everything works fine
> > after that.
>
> That sounds to me like a bug Is it 100% reproducible, and do you see
> the same on other computers?
>
> And, let us not forget the Ultimate Gold Standard: does it work on Windows?

Ha! I usually invert this test when people tell me their MSWindows machine is
playing up (again ...)
--
Regards,
Mick
 
Old 02-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Paul Hartman
 
Default USB stick recognition problem

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 07:48 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
>
>> I have a USB SD-card reader which cannot read the partition table when
>> first inserted into the PC. But, if I issue "hdparm -z /dev/sdg" then
>> the kernel re-reads the partition table and everything works fine
>> after that.
>
> That sounds to me like a bug *Is it 100% reproducible, and do you see
> the same *on other computers?
>
> And, let us not forget the Ultimate Gold Standard: does it work on Windows?

Yes, it is exactly the same every time
Yes, every computer (for several kernel versions now)
Yes, it works in Windows straight away (without doing any tricks)

One thing I have not tried yet is to set delay_use option of
usb-storage to a higher value. Maybe the device is still starting up
and kernel tries to initialize it too quickly. I have usb-storage
compiled into kernel now, instead of as a module, so I need to
remember to change that that next time I plan to reboot.
 
Old 02-03-2011, 01:11 AM
walt
 
Default USB stick recognition problem

On 02/02/2011 03:05 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM, walt<w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:

On 02/02/2011 07:48 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:


I have a USB SD-card reader which cannot read the partition table when
first inserted into the PC.



That sounds to me like a bug do you see the same on other computers?



Yes, every computer (for several kernel versions now)


Well, if an older kernel uses the card reader normally and newer kernels
don't, then I assume a kernel bug is responsible.

What *I* would do is to use git-bisect in Linus's kernel git repository to
isolate the "bad" commit and then report it to the person who submitted the
original bad patch to Linus.

If that idea sounds weird -- I plead nolo contendere. Yet, it gets kernel
bugs fixed. (Very roughly paraphrasing Galileo
 
Old 02-03-2011, 05:08 AM
Paul Hartman
 
Default USB stick recognition problem

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:11 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 03:05 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM, walt<w41ter@gmail.com> *wrote:
>>>
>>> On 02/02/2011 07:48 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
>>>
>>>> I have a USB SD-card reader which cannot read the partition table when
>>>> first inserted into the PC.
>
>>> That sounds to me like a bug *do you see the same *on other computers?
>
>> Yes, every computer (for several kernel versions now)
>
> Well, if an older kernel uses the card reader normally and newer kernels
> don't, then I assume a kernel bug is responsible.
>
> What *I* would do is to use git-bisect in Linus's kernel git repository to
> isolate the "bad" commit and then report it to the person who submitted the
> original bad patch to Linus.
>
> If that idea sounds weird -- I plead nolo contendere. *Yet, it gets kernel
> bugs fixed. *(Very roughly paraphrasing Galileo

I meant that I've tried it for a few kernel versions (it's not a new
card reader, it's a few years old). It has never worked properly in
Linux since I've owned it.
 
Old 02-03-2011, 05:52 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default USB stick recognition problem

Apparently, though unproven, at 08:08 on Thursday 03 February 2011, Paul
Hartman did opine thusly:

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:11 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 02/02/2011 03:05 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
> >> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM, walt<w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>> On 02/02/2011 07:48 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
> >>>> I have a USB SD-card reader which cannot read the partition table when
> >>>> first inserted into the PC.
> >>>
> >>> That sounds to me like a bug do you see the same on other
> >>> computers?
> >>
> >> Yes, every computer (for several kernel versions now)
> >
> > Well, if an older kernel uses the card reader normally and newer kernels
> > don't, then I assume a kernel bug is responsible.
> >
> > What *I* would do is to use git-bisect in Linus's kernel git repository
> > to isolate the "bad" commit and then report it to the person who
> > submitted the original bad patch to Linus.
> >
> > If that idea sounds weird -- I plead nolo contendere. Yet, it gets
> > kernel bugs fixed. (Very roughly paraphrasing Galileo
>
> I meant that I've tried it for a few kernel versions (it's not a new
> card reader, it's a few years old). It has never worked properly in
> Linux since I've owned it.

Then the reader itself is probably horribly broken. Or has been built to
comply to "whatever broken Windows is doing today"

My USD card reader JustWorks(tm) everywhere with everything. And they are dirt
cheap, about the price of the smallest SD card I can buy.

Time for a new reader perhaps?


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:41 AM
Dale
 
Default USB stick recognition problem

Alan McKinnon wrote:

Then the reader itself is probably horribly broken. Or has been built to
comply to "whatever broken Windows is doing today"

My USD card reader JustWorks(tm) everywhere with everything. And they are dirt
cheap, about the price of the smallest SD card I can buy.

Time for a new reader perhaps?




I have a card reader and it works with a lot of cards. So far it has
worked fine. I did have a pin to bend once but most likely my fault.
It has Targus wrote on it. I assume that is the brand. I think it was
about $10 or $15 or so. It works fine with Linux so far and I think I
used it once on my brothers windoze rig.


It does sound like there is something fishy about your card tho.

Dale

:-) :-)
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:16 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org