Old 01-31-2011, 12:32 AM
walt

Default thubdrive mounts with strange char's in it's name

On 01/30/2011 02:36 PM, Alan Warren wrote:

Hello,

My thumbdrive has been mounting fine, but recently it started mounting
with strange characters in it's name.
My thumbdrive mounts as /media/

I can offer an observation but not an answer. Your email client, mutt,
is sending "quoted-printable" text, so I'm not sure I'm reading the same
thing that you are writing.

For example, your last line, above, looks to me like this when I view your
post in raw ascii:

'My thumbdrive mounts as /media/=0E'

That =HH is typical of "quoted-printable" encoding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quoted-printable

Maybe someone else can tell us if this has any relation to your problem?

Old 01-31-2011, 01:17 AM
Alan Warren

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into it.*

Just to illustrate a little better, this is what it looks like.
http://www.alan-warren.com/images/strange_chars.jpg

Thanks

Old 01-31-2011, 03:14 AM
Mike Gilbert

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Alan Warren <bluemoonshine@gmail.com> wrote:
> My thumbdrive has been mounting fine, but recently it started mounting
> with strange characters in it's name.

I believe most auto-mounters use the file system label when naming
mount points. You can view or modify this with the tools appropriate
for the specific file system.

For FAT, use dosfslabel from the sys-fs/dosfstools package.

For ext{2,3,4}, use "tune2fs -L" from the sys-fs/e2fsprogs package.

I'm guessing that something messed up the label.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:50 AM
Alan Warren

Thanks Mike, this is exactly what I needed.* I'm all set now.

-Alan