Old 01-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Florian Philipp

Default concatenate ogg-files...?

Am 30.01.2011 14:55, schrieb meino.cramer@gmx.de:

> Hi,
>
> I have three ogg-files (audio) which I want to concatenate
> in a way, so that as much as possible of the audio quality
> will be preserved and the result should be an ogg-file again,
> which not only plays ok, because mplayer or what ever simply
> skipps over format violations but is of a valid ogg format.
>
> How can I do this ?

There is ogmcat which belongs to ogmtools. However, it explicitly says
in its man-page that it does not work. You might still try it out.

Can it be a Matroska file, as well? There is an option in mkvmerge to
append streams in MKV/MKA, as well. Maybe that one works better.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp

Old 01-30-2011, 01:52 PM

Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> [11-01-30 15:36]:
> On Sunday 30 January 2011 13:55:41 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have three ogg-files (audio) which I want to concatenate
> > in a way, so that as much as possible of the audio quality
> > will be preserved and the result should be an ogg-file again,
> > which not only plays ok, because mplayer or what ever simply
> > skipps over format violations but is of a valid ogg format.
> >
> > How can I do this ?
> >
> > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
> > Best regards,
> > mcc
>
> Have you looked at ffmpeg? It has the concat protocol to join files together
> - have not tried it with ogg though, so YMMV.
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

Hi Mick,

thanks for your reply!

Are the ogg-files reencoded? If yes: If possible I am looking for a
solution which does not do that, cause it implies a loss of quality...

Best regards,
mcc

Old 01-30-2011, 02:12 PM

Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:

> Am 30.01.2011 14:55, schrieb meino.cramer@gmx.de:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have three ogg-files (audio) which I want to concatenate
> > in a way, so that as much as possible of the audio quality
> > will be preserved and the result should be an ogg-file again,
> > which not only plays ok, because mplayer or what ever simply
> > skipps over format violations but is of a valid ogg format.
> >
> > How can I do this ?
> >

> There is ogmcat which belongs to ogmtools. However, it explicitly says
> in its man-page that it does not work. You might still try it out.
>
> Can it be a Matroska file, as well? There is an option in mkvmerge to
> append streams in MKV/MKA, as well. Maybe that one works better.
The ogg spec says you can just cat them -- I found this played the
audio, but the timecode got messed up, so I don't generally do it.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 01-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Mick

On Sunday 30 January 2011 14:52:36 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> [11-01-30 15:36]:
> > On Sunday 30 January 2011 13:55:41 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have three ogg-files (audio) which I want to concatenate
> > > in a way, so that as much as possible of the audio quality
> > > will be preserved and the result should be an ogg-file again,
> > > which not only plays ok, because mplayer or what ever simply
> > > skipps over format violations but is of a valid ogg format.
> > >
> > > How can I do this ?
> > >
> > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
> > > Best regards,
> > > mcc
> >
> > Have you looked at ffmpeg? It has the concat protocol to join files
> > together - have not tried it with ogg though, so YMMV.
>
> Hi Mick,
>
> thanks for your reply!
>
> Are the ogg-files reencoded? If yes: If possible I am looking for a
> solution which does not do that, cause it implies a loss of quality...

I'm not the most educated in video/audio matters to advise here, but I know
that if you use ffmpeg and specify '-acodec copy' it will do just that with
the raw data. I know you can use ffmpeg with streams, so some clever use of
pipes may be required for your application.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chime in here.
Mick

Old 01-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 14:55:41 +0100, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> I have three ogg-files (audio) which I want to concatenate
> in a way, so that as much as possible of the audio quality
> will be preserved and the result should be an ogg-file again,
> which not only plays ok, because mplayer or what ever simply
> skipps over format violations but is of a valid ogg format.

Mencoder should do this, something like

mencoder -oac copy -o newfile.ogg oldfile1.ogg oldfile2.ogg...

--
Neil Bothwick

"I heard Tasha Yar is the Enterprise's expert on Data entry."

Old 01-30-2011, 03:06 PM

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> [11-01-30 16:52]:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 14:55:41 +0100, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
>
> > I have three ogg-files (audio) which I want to concatenate
> > in a way, so that as much as possible of the audio quality
> > will be preserved and the result should be an ogg-file again,
> > which not only plays ok, because mplayer or what ever simply
> > skipps over format violations but is of a valid ogg format.
>
> Mencoder should do this, something like
>
> mencoder -oac copy -o newfile.ogg oldfile1.ogg oldfile2.ogg...
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> "I heard Tasha Yar is the Enterprise's expert on Data entry."

Unfortunately mencoder cannot be used without a video stream.
There is no -ovc null or something like that.

mcc

Old 01-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 17:06:14 +0100, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> > Mencoder should do this, something like
> >
> > mencoder -oac copy -o newfile.ogg oldfile1.ogg oldfile2.ogg...

> Unfortunately mencoder cannot be used without a video stream.
> There is no -ovc null or something like that.

-vc null or -novideo

--
Neil Bothwick

Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Old 01-30-2011, 03:54 PM

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> [11-01-30 17:20]:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 17:06:14 +0100, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
>
> > > Mencoder should do this, something like
> > >
> > > mencoder -oac copy -o newfile.ogg oldfile1.ogg oldfile2.ogg...
>
> > Unfortunately mencoder cannot be used without a video stream.
> > There is no -ovc null or something like that.
>
> -vc null or -novideo
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> Why is the word abbreviation so long?

In both cases (output of one listed below) it fails because
of no video...

MEncoder SVN-r32624-4.4.4 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team

WARNING: OUTPUT FILE FORMAT IS _AVI_. See -of help.
success: format: 0 data: 0x0 - 0x9ef590
libavformat file format detected.
[lavf] stream 0: audio (vorbis), -aid 0
Video stream is mandatory!

Exiting...

mcc

Old 01-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Paul Hartman

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 7:55 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have three ogg-files (audio) which I want to concatenate
> in a way, so that as much as possible of the audio quality
> will be preserved and the result should be an ogg-file again,
> which not only plays ok, because mplayer or what ever simply
> skipps over format violations but is of a valid ogg format.
>
> How can I do this ?

Haven't tried, but Ogg Video Tools from
http://dev.streamnik.de/files.html seems to have an oggCat tool for
concatenating ogg files.