Old 01-30-2011, 06:23 AM
Jon Cox

Default k3b: Drive not found ...

Hello,

I was recently having similar issues with a computer I picked up
from my university's surplus that I put a fresh Gentoo install on.
The issues went away after I restarted dbus, a la:

$ /etc/init.d/dbus restart

It may not fix your issues, but it did make mine vanish. Best of
luck!

-Jon

On Sunday 30 January 2011 00:01:25 meino.cramer@gmx.de
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My setup is ASUS Crosshair IV formula. Attached to the box is
> USB->IDE converted. Attached to this converter there is my
"old"
> DVD burner.
>
> This setup has worked for reading and writing DVDs/CDs in
the past.

> But there must be a update or something which kills that....
>
> There is:
> solfire:/root>l /dev/sr0
> brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 0 2011-01-30 07:51 /dev/sr0
> solfire:/root>
>
> Therefore the burner is detected by the kernel an appropiate
> permissions are given to it.
>
> I am member of the group "cdrom".
>
> When k3b is started from the commandline I see this output:
>
> K3bQProcess::QProcess(0x0)
> QStringList

Solid::Backends::Hal::HalManager::findDeviceByDevi ceInterface(const
> Solid:eviceInterface::Type&) error:
> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied"
>
> K3bQProcess::QProcess(0x0)
> k3b(22035)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction
"view_projects" with
> KXMLGUIFactory! k3b(22035)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use
QAction
> "view_dir_tree" with KXMLGUIFactory! k3b(22035)/kdeui
(kdelibs): Attempt
> to use QAction "view_contents" with KXMLGUIFactory!
k3b(22035)/kdeui
> (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "location_bar" with
KXMLGUIFactory!
> solfire:/home/mccramer>QStringList

Solid::Backends::Hal::HalManager::findDeviceByDevi ceInterface(const
> Solid:eviceInterface::Type&) error:
> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied"
>
> QStringList

Solid::Backends::Hal::HalManager::findDeviceByDevi ceInterface(const
> Solid:eviceInterface::Type&) error:
> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied"
>
> QStringList

Solid::Backends::Hal::HalManager::findDeviceByDevi ceInterface(const
> Solid:eviceInterface::Type&) error:
> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied"
>
> QStringList

Solid::Backends::Hal::HalManager::findDeviceByDevi ceInterface(const
> Solid:eviceInterface::Type&) error:
> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied"
>
> QStringList

Solid::Backends::Hal::HalManager::findDeviceByDevi ceInterface(const
> Solid:eviceInterface::Type&) error:
> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied"
>
> QStringList

Solid::Backends::Hal::HalManager::findDeviceByDevi ceInterface(const
> Solid:eviceInterface::Type&) error:
> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied"
>
> QStringList

Solid::Backends::Hal::HalManager::findDeviceByDevi ceInterface(const
> Solid:eviceInterface::Type&) error:
> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied"
>
> QStringList

Solid::Backends::Hal::HalManager::findDeviceByDevi ceInterface(const
> Solid:eviceInterface::Type&) error:
> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied"
>
> k3b(22035)/kdecore (services)
KMimeTypeFactory:arseMagic: Now parsing
> "/usr/share/mime/magic" k3b(22035)/kdecore (services)
> KMimeTypeFactory:arseMagic: Now parsing
> "/home/mccramer/.local/share/mime/magic"
>

> Unfortunately I have no clue, what it wants to tell me. Only this
> "Permission denied" alerts me...but where to patch/modify
what?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:11 AM

Hi Jon,

thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately it does not change anything here.
The problem remains...

Best regard,
mcc

Jon Cox <hyperserv@gmail.com> [11-01-30 09:08]:

Old 01-30-2011, 08:45 AM
YoYo Siska

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 09:11:35AM +0100, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi Jon,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
> Unfortunately it does not change anything here.
> The problem remains...
>
> Best regard,
> mcc

Try checking / restarting hal and you could also try to re-run
etc-update, to make sure, that /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf is
updated (iirc there were some changes in that file some time ago...)

I don't know if dbus-monitor --system or a dbus log would tell you
which call wasn't allowed, maybe increasing dbus's
debug level would include that in the log...

yoyo

Old 01-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 09:01 on Sunday 30 January 2011,
meino.cramer@gmx.de did opine thusly:

> Hi,
>
> My setup is ASUS Crosshair IV formula. Attached to the box is a
> USB->IDE converted. Attached to this converter there is my "old"
> DVD burner.

Blind shot in the dark here:

What's your USE for k3b? I recently got an update with a USE flag change for
k3B: hal

Maybe your's is off?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-31-2011, 06:06 AM
Jake Moe

On 01/31/11 06:11, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 09:01 on Sunday 30 January 2011,
> meino.cramer@gmx.de did opine thusly:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My setup is ASUS Crosshair IV formula. Attached to the box is a
>> USB->IDE converted. Attached to this converter there is my "old"
>> DVD burner.
> Blind shot in the dark here:
>
> What's your USE for k3b? I recently got an update with a USE flag change for
> k3B: hal
>
> Maybe your's is off?
From what I remember, K3B uses either D-Bus or, I believe, HAL to detect
drives. So if HAL (or D-Bus) is not working properly, K3B won't detect
the drive.

Also, I have a vague memory (warning! this may be totally wrong!) that
you may need the plugdev group as well, for the detection to work
properly? Maybe?

However, my K3B ("stable" on 2.0.1-r1) doesn't have a "hal" use flag,
but it appears the latest ("unstable" on 2.0.2-r1) does.

Jake Moe