Old 01-30-2011, 03:12 AM
BRM

Default Emerge Problems...

A little while back my server ran out of hard disk space (due to a failed hard
drive) and as a result my local portage mirror got destroyed.
Well, I fixed there server - initially by just grabbing a new copy of portage
like a new install since it was just completely hosed, and the server is back up
and working. However, now my desktop and laptop are both having problems. They
sync just fine against the server, but I get a series of errors about not having
various ebuilds in the manifest files - so many that I can't emerge anything
(even portage).

Right now, my laptop is basically hosed - KDE/X won't work on login due to some
errors. My desktop at least logs in to the KDE/X. However, on both systems I am
having the manifest problem, and I can't edit files either since vim is screwed
up due to a change in perl - and I can't run perl-clearner due to the emerge
problem.

I know both systems can be restored to being fully functional and up-to-date.
The question is - how do I get there?

I ran across some emails in the list archive on a similar issue - though that
was only for 1 ebuild - and it was straight forward enough to fix by just
rebuilding the manifest though 'ebuild' or something. I ran across another
e-mail suggesting to just resync, and well - I tried that but it didn't work.

So my question is - is there a way to automatically fix all these manifest
things without having to track down each one by hand and run the 'ebuild' thing
on each one individually? I'm completely out of ideas, and I'd really like to
get these systems back to full functionality.

TIA,

Ben

Old 01-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Francesco Talamona

On Sunday 30 January 2011, BRM wrote:
> A little while back my server ran out of hard disk space (due to a
> failed hard drive) and as a result my local portage mirror got
> destroyed. Well, I fixed there server - initially by just grabbing a
> new copy of portage like a new install since it was just completely
> hosed, and the server is back up and working. However, now my
> desktop and laptop are both having problems. They sync just fine
> against the server, but I get a series of errors about not having
> various ebuilds in the manifest files - so many that I can't emerge
> anything (even portage).

It seems your three systems share a broken portage tree, try with the
latest portage snapshot, for example from
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/snapshots/

You can also skip the sync and put it directly on the clients to see if
the rsync service on server is broken...

Once you stabilize the root cause, it's time to focus on the other
issues (for example run a non-X runlevel on the laptop to fix the login
issue, use nano until vim is ok, and so on).

HTH
Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.36-gentoo-r6, Compiled #2 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 3
11:54:58 CET 2011

Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 20:12:26 -0800 (PST), BRM wrote:

> Well, I fixed there server - initially by just grabbing a new copy of
> portage like a new install since it was just completely hosed, and the
> server is back up and working. However, now my desktop and laptop are
> both having problems. They sync just fine against the server, but I get
> a series of errors about not having various ebuilds in the manifest
> files - so many that I can't emerge anything (even portage).

Completely remove the portage tree, fsck the filesystem and then resync.

Of course, you can get your other systems working by commenting out any
SYNC entries in make.conf and letting them sync directly with the Gentoo
servers.

--
Neil Bothwick

It's no use crying over spilt milk -- it only makes it salty for the cat.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:59 PM
BRM

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 20:12:26 -0800 (PST), BRM wrote:
>
> > Well, I fixed there server - initially by just grabbing a new copy of
> > portage like a new install since it was just completely hosed, and the
> > server is back up and working. However, now my desktop and laptop are
> > both having problems. They sync just fine against the server, but I get
> > a series of errors about not having various ebuilds in the manifest
> > files - so many that I can't emerge anything (even portage).
>
> Completely remove the portage tree, fsck the filesystem and then resync.

Well, I certainly have to try that out.

> Of course, you can get your other systems working by commenting out any
> SYNC entries in make.conf and letting them sync directly with the Gentoo
> servers.

Can't edit the files on the laptop, possible on the desktop though.

> From: Francesco Talamona <francesco.talamona@know.eu>
> It seems your three systems share a broken portage tree, try with the
> latest portage snapshot, for example from
> http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/snapshots/
>
> You can also skip the sync and put it directly on the clients to see if
> the rsync service on server is broken...
>
> Once you stabilize the root cause, it's time to focus on the other
> issues (for example run a non-X runlevel on the laptop to fix the login
> issue, use nano until vim is ok, and so on).

I'm not a fan of nano, so I uninstalled it a long time ago. I usually use vim;
not sure why vim is referencing perl libraries, but oh well.

And yes - fixing the portage issue is the first step. After that everything else
will just fall out - since I can just run the various emerges and perl-cleaner.

Ben

Old 01-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Nils Holland

On 20:12 Sat 29 Jan , BRM wrote:
> A little while back my server ran out of hard disk space (due to a failed hard
> drive) and as a result my local portage mirror got destroyed.
> Well, I fixed there server - initially by just grabbing a new copy of portage
> like a new install since it was just completely hosed, and the server is back up
> and working. However, now my desktop and laptop are both having problems. They
> sync just fine against the server, but I get a series of errors about not having
> various ebuilds in the manifest files - so many that I can't emerge anything
> (even portage).

I believe you will already have checked this, but anyways:

I once upon a time experienced a similar issue, which was caused by the fact that for some reason, I was only syncing new / modfied files from the source to my local portage tree, and not deleting no longer existent (on the source) files from the local tree. This resulted in emerge complaining about various ebuilds not being found.

I was kind of shocked at first, then found my error, and on "properly" (including deletes) syncing with my portage source everything immediately started working fine again on the local (destination) machine.

But again, I believe it's highly unprobable that this is your problem, because if you synced "correctly" before your server had to be re-setup, I would believe that you're doing it correctly now as well, at least I can't see what should have changed concering the sync due to the act of replacing the server...

Greetings,
Nils

--
Nils Holland * Ti Systems, Wunsorf-Luthe (Germany)
Powered by GNU/Linux since 1998

Old 01-31-2011, 10:35 AM
Marc Joliet

Am Sun, 30 Jan 2011 09:59:18 -0800 (PST)
schrieb BRM <bm_witness@yahoo.com>:

[...]
> I'm not a fan of nano, so I uninstalled it a long time ago. I usually use vim;
> not sure why vim is referencing perl libraries, but oh well.

Because you can extend vim in perl. In addition to that and the built-in
vimscript, you can also use python (used, for example, by pyclewn and conque)
and ruby. In 7.3 they added lua, although I just noticed that for some reason
the Vim ebuild doesn't support it (no use flag, and :version shows "-lua").

HTH
--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup

Old 01-31-2011, 01:55 PM
BRM

> > A little while back my server ran out of hard disk space (due to a failed
>hard
>
> > drive) and as a result my local portage mirror got destroyed.
> > Well, I fixed there server - initially by just grabbing a new copy of
>portage
>
> > like a new install since it was just completely hosed, and the server is
>back up
>
> > and working. However, now my desktop and laptop are both having problems.
>They
>
> > sync just fine against the server, but I get a series of errors about not
>having
>
> > various ebuilds in the manifest files - so many that I can't emerge anything
>
> > (even portage).
>
> I believe you will already have checked this, but anyways:
>
> I once upon a time experienced a similar issue, which was caused by the fact
>that for some reason, I was only syncing new / modfied files from the source to
>my local portage tree, and not deleting no longer existent (on the source)
>files from the local tree. This resulted in emerge complaining about various
>ebuilds not being found.
>
> I was kind of shocked at first, then found my error, and on "properly"
>(including deletes) syncing with my portage source everything immediately
>started working fine again on the local (destination) machine.
>
> But again, I believe it's highly unprobable that this is your problem, because
>if you synced "correctly" before your server had to be re-setup, I would
>believe that you're doing it correctly now as well, at least I can't see what
>should have changed concering the sync due to the act of replacing the
>server...

May be I didn't get the server back up right? Not sure.
Any how...the primary issue was resolved once I "deleted" the server's portage
mirror and than ran rsync again to grab a fresh copy.
I'm pretty sure it would have to be how I rsync'd the mirror since I lost my
mirroring script the old hard drive died.
I just wrote a new script last night, but I'm still not sure that all of the
parameters are correct - I'll check into that more this evening.
Once I get it right, I'll restore it do doing the daily mirror syncs again.

Now I just have to get past all the issues coming up in the updates and
rebuilds, but that was to be expected.

Thanks!

Ben

Old 01-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Francesco Talamona

On Monday 31 January 2011, BRM wrote:
> I just wrote a new script last night, but I'm still not sure that all
> of the parameters are correct

Why not something proven and reliable like "emerge --sync"?

Ciao
Francesco

Old 01-31-2011, 09:26 PM
BRM