Old 01-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default Curiosity...

On 01/29/2011 04:18 PM, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

lspci -k of those device/chips/whatever does say for the nvidia audio:

08:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 2304
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

but...for what reason there is an audio device in my graphics card?
Sounds to me like a bicycle with onboard toaster...

Graphics cards have audio chips for HDMI sound. When you connect the
graphics card to a TV through HDMI, the sound playing in the TV comes
from the graphics card's audio chip.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Saturday 29 January 2011 15:18:10 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when listing my hardware with lshw I find some stuff build
> into my ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, which I seem not to use
> and I like to know, for what it is good for:
>
> These are excerpts from the output of lshw:
>

> *-serial UNCLAIMED
> product: SBx00 SMBus Controller
> vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
> physical id: 14
> bus info: pci@0000:00:14.0
> version: 41
> width: 32 bits
> clock: 66MHz
> configuration: latency=0

sensors, and spd-eprom are accessed this way.

> and
>

> *-isa
> product: SB700/SB800 LPC host controller
> vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
> physical id: 14.3
> bus info: pci@0000:00:14.3
> version: 40
> width: 32 bits
> clock: 66MHz
> capabilities: isa bus_master
> configuration: latency=0

today's incarnation is called 'lpc'. Your sensor chip is probably accessed
through this. Also connectiopn sensor/superio-chipset.

> and
>

> *-multimedia
> product: GF108 High Definition Audio Controller
> vendor: nVidia Corporation
> physical id: 0.1
> bus info: pci@0000:08:00.1
> version: a1
> width: 32 bits
> clock: 33MHz
> capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
> configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0
> resources: irq:25 memory:fe97c000-fe97ffff
>
> (I have a MSI GT430 (nvidia) card and onboard audio:
>
> *-multimedia
> product: SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
> vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
> physical id: 14.2
> bus info: pci@0000:00:14.2
> version: 40
> width: 64 bits
> clock: 33MHz
> capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
> configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=64
> resources: irq:16 memory:fcaf8000-fcafbfff
> ).
>

> lspci -k of those device/chips/whatever does say for the nvidia audio:
>
> 08:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio
> Controller (rev a1) Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device
> 2304
> Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
> Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
>
> but...for what reason there is an audio device in my graphics card?
> Sounds to me like a bicycle with onboard toaster...

hdmi.
Because hdmi is able to transport sound. Also look up the DRM mess.

> for the smbus thingy as for the ISA-bridge there no additional info. For
> what reason there is an ISA bridge on a board which skipped floppy
> controller and IDE???

yes.

> How can I make what use of it?

you probably already do.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Saturday 29 January 2011 06:33:39 Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 6:18 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when listing my hardware with lshw I find some stuff build
> > into my ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, which I seem not to use
> > and I like to know, for what it is good for:
>
> > These are excerpts from the output of lshw:
> <SNIP>
>
> > but...for what reason there is an audio device in my graphics card?
> > Sounds to me like a bicycle with onboard toaster...
>
> I love the picture, however it is more likely for things like audio over
> HDMI..
>
> > for the smbus thingy as for the ISA-bridge there no additional info. For
> > what reason there is an ISA bridge on a board which skipped floppy
> > controller and IDE???
>
> The ISA stuff is likely for historical conformance to the PC
> architecture. Not sure if modern motherboards use it anymore, but
> maybe they do.

they do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Pin_Count

> IIRC the smbus is involved in power switch stuff. It's not unlike I2C
> but more simple.

also the spd-eeprom on your memory modules can be accessed via smbus. And some
kinds of sensors chips. And a lot more.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 7:09 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 29 January 2011 06:33:39 Mark Knecht wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 6:18 AM, *<meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > when listing my hardware with lshw I find some stuff build
>> > into my ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, which I seem not to use
>> > and I like to know, for what it is good for:
>>
>> > These are excerpts from the output of lshw:
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> > but...for what reason there is an audio device in my graphics card?
>> > Sounds to me like a bicycle with onboard toaster...
>>
>> I love the picture, however it is more likely for things like audio over
>> HDMI..
>>
>> > for the smbus thingy as for the ISA-bridge there no additional info. For
>> > what reason there is an ISA bridge on a board which skipped floppy
>> > controller and IDE???
>>
>> The ISA stuff is likely for historical conformance to the PC
>> architecture. Not sure if modern motherboards use it anymore, but
>> maybe they do.
>>

> they do.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Pin_Count
>
>> IIRC the smbus is involved in power switch stuff. It's not unlike I2C
>> but more simple.
>
> also the spd-eeprom on your memory modules can be accessed via smbus. And some
> kinds of sensors chips. And a lot more.

Yeah, makes sense that boot ROM/BIOS stuff is going to get accessed
through there.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 01-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Saturday 29 January 2011 07:33:34 Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 7:09 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
>
> <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> <SNIP>

> >> I love the picture, however it is more likely for things like audio
> >> over
> >> HDMI..

> >> The ISA stuff is likely for historical conformance to the PC
> >> architecture. Not sure if modern motherboards use it anymore, but
> >> maybe they do.
> >
> > they do.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Pin_Count
> >
> >> IIRC the smbus is involved in power switch stuff. It's not unlike I2C
> >> but more simple.
> >
> > also the spd-eeprom on your memory modules can be accessed via smbus.
> > And some kinds of sensors chips. And a lot more.
>
> Yeah, makes sense that boot ROM/BIOS stuff is going to get accessed
> through there.

bios is accessed via 'isa' lpc

Old 01-29-2011, 03:02 PM

Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [11-01-29 16:56]:
> On Saturday 29 January 2011 07:33:34 Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 7:09 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
> >
> > <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > > they do.
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Pin_Count

> > > also the spd-eeprom on your memory modules can be accessed via smbus.
> > > And some kinds of sensors chips. And a lot more.
> >
> > Yeah, makes sense that boot ROM/BIOS stuff is going to get accessed
> > through there.
>
> bios is accessed via 'isa' lpc

I ever thought the bios is a piece of software (keyword "bios flash"
and "firmware") rather some hardware... ?!

Old 01-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Saturday 29 January 2011 17:02:55 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [11-01-29 16:56]:
> > On Saturday 29 January 2011 07:33:34 Mark Knecht wrote:

> > > Yeah, makes sense that boot ROM/BIOS stuff is going to get accessed
> > > through there.
> >
> > bios is accessed via 'isa' lpc
>
> I ever thought the bios is a piece of software (keyword "bios flash"
> and "firmware") rather some hardware... ?!

the bios resides in a chip which is accessed via lpc, which looks like isa to
the system.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:34 PM

Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [11-01-29 16:39]:
> [...]
> > capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
> > configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=64
> > resources: irq:16 memory:fcaf8000-fcafbfff
> > ).
> >

> > lspci -k of those device/chips/whatever does say for the nvidia audio:
> >
> > 08:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio
> > Controller (rev a1) Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device
> > 2304
> > Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
> > Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
> >
> > but...for what reason there is an audio device in my graphics card?
> > Sounds to me like a bicycle with onboard toaster...
> >

> hdmi.
> Because hdmi is able to transport sound. Also look up the DRM mess.
>
> > for the smbus thingy as for the ISA-bridge there no additional info. For
> > what reason there is an ISA bridge on a board which skipped floppy

How do you define "probably" ?

Old 01-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Saturday 29 January 2011 17:34:18 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> [...]
> > > capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
> > > configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=64
> > > resources: irq:16 memory:fcaf8000-fcafbfff
> > >
> > > ).
> > >

> > > lspci -k of those device/chips/whatever does say for the nvidia
> > > audio:
> > >
> > > 08:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio
> > > Controller (rev a1) Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
> > > Device 2304
> > >
> > > Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
> > > Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
> > >
> > > but...for what reason there is an audio device in my graphics card?
> > > Sounds to me like a bicycle with onboard toaster...
> >
> > hdmi.
> > Because hdmi is able to transport sound. Also look up the DRM mess.
> >
> > > for the smbus thingy as for the ISA-bridge there no additional info.
> > > For what reason there is an ISA bridge on a board which skipped

well, your board is able to boot. So the bios is able to access spdrom to read
the memory settings. This is done via smbus.
If you use sensors, you are probably using isa/lipc bus to access the chip.
And even if you don't. Do you have a ps/2 keyboard? The keyboard controller
sits in the same superio chip as the sensors.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:04 PM

Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [11-01-29 17:56]:
> On Saturday 29 January 2011 17:34:18 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> [11-01-29 16:39]:

> > > sensors, and spd-eprom are accessed this way.

> > > today's incarnation is called 'lpc'. Your sensor chip is probably
> > > accessed through this. Also connectiopn sensor/superio-chipset.

> > > hdmi.
> > > Because hdmi is able to transport sound. Also look up the DRM mess.

> > > yes.

> > > you probably already do.
> >
> > How do you define "probably" ?
>
> well, your board is able to boot. So the bios is able to access spdrom to read
> the memory settings. This is done via smbus.
> If you use sensors, you are probably using isa/lipc bus to access the chip.
> And even if you don't. Do you have a ps/2 keyboard? The keyboard controller
> sits in the same superio chip as the sensors.

Ah! I see...but I would think, that the driver for the kbd and/or the
access to the sensors would led to a "Kernel driver in use:"- or
"Kernel modules:"-entry when using lspci -k, where the SMBUS-thingy
is listed. But nothing...

?