Old 01-29-2011, 01:18 PM

Default Curiosity...

Hi,

when listing my hardware with lshw I find some stuff build
into my ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, which I seem not to use
and I like to know, for what it is good for:

These are excerpts from the output of lshw:

*-serial UNCLAIMED
product: SBx00 SMBus Controller
vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
physical id: 14
bus info: pci@0000:00:14.0
version: 41
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
configuration: latency=0

and

*-isa
product: SB700/SB800 LPC host controller
vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
physical id: 14.3
bus info: pci@0000:00:14.3
version: 40
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: isa bus_master
configuration: latency=0

and

*-multimedia
product: GF108 High Definition Audio Controller
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 0.1
bus info: pci@0000:08:00.1
version: a1
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0
resources: irq:25 memory:fe97c000-fe97ffff

(I have a MSI GT430 (nvidia) card and onboard audio:

*-multimedia
product: SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
physical id: 14.2
bus info: pci@0000:00:14.2
version: 40
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=64
resources: irq:16 memory:fcaf8000-fcafbfff
).

lspci -k of those device/chips/whatever does say for the nvidia audio:

08:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 2304
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

but...for what reason there is an audio device in my graphics card?
Sounds to me like a bicycle with onboard toaster...

for the smbus thingy as for the ISA-bridge there no additional info. For what reason
there is an ISA bridge on a board which skipped floppy controller and
IDE???

How can I make what use of it?

Thank you very much in advance for any hint !
Have a nice weekend!
Best regards,
mcc

Old 01-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 6:18 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when listing my hardware with lshw I find some stuff build
> into my ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, which I seem not to use
> and I like to know, for what it is good for:
>
> These are excerpts from the output of lshw:

<SNIP>

> but...for what reason there is an audio device in my graphics card?
> Sounds to me like a bicycle with onboard toaster...

I love the picture, however it is more likely for things like audio over HDMI..

> for the smbus thingy as for the ISA-bridge there no additional info. For what reason
> there is an ISA bridge on a board which skipped floppy controller and
> IDE???

The ISA stuff is likely for historical conformance to the PC
architecture. Not sure if modern motherboards use it anymore, but
maybe they do.

IIRC the smbus is involved in power switch stuff. It's not unlike I2C
but more simple.

> How can I make what use of it?

;-) Well, put a piece of bread in and push the lever down? ;-)

Have a good weekend.

Cheers,
Mark