Old 01-29-2011, 01:49 AM
Andrew Lowe

Default emerge world, USE flags and packages that aren't there

Hi all,
I've got a PC that I use as a media computer, music, videos etc. I
haven't updated it in ages so decided now is the time to give it a go. I
issue the command, and subsequently get:

***************************

harold ~# emerge --pretend -NuD world

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy
"dev-vcs/subversion[-dso,perl]".

!!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
- dev-vcs/subversion-1.6.15 (Change USE: -dso)
(dependency required by "dev-vcs/git-1.7.4_rc3" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-devel/gettext-0.18.1.1-r1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "dev-libs/popt-1.16-r1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "dev-util/pkgconfig-0.25-r2" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "dev-lang/python-3.1.3" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "app-admin/python-updater-0.8" [installed])

***************************

Well, it's a media computer so subversion shouldn't be there - I think
it's a leftover from a previous task for this machine. So I now issue
the command, and once again get:

***************************

harold ~ # emerge -C subversion
* This action can remove important packages! In order to be safer, use
* `emerge -pv --depclean <atom>` to check for reverse dependencies before
* removing packages.

--- Couldn't find 'null/subversion' to unmerge.

>>> No packages selected for removal by unmerge
harold ~ #

***************************

So, I'm now confused. I'm not a "Portage rocket scientist", but my
reading of this is that subversion needs some flags set, but subversion
isn't there!!!! Is this correct? Any ideas as to how I can get myself
out of this pickle?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

Andrew

Old 01-29-2011, 02:17 AM
Alex Schuster

Andrew Lowe writes:

> Hi all,
> I've got a PC that I use as a media computer, music, videos etc. I
> haven't updated it in ages so decided now is the time to give it a go. I
> issue the command, and subsequently get:
>
> ***************************
>
> harold ~# emerge --pretend -NuD world

> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy
> "dev-vcs/subversion[-dso,perl]".
> !!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
> - dev-vcs/subversion-1.6.15 (Change USE: -dso)
> (dependency required by "dev-vcs/git-1.7.4_rc3" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "sys-devel/gettext-0.18.1.1-r1" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "dev-libs/popt-1.16-r1" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "dev-util/pkgconfig-0.25-r2" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "dev-lang/python-3.1.3" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "app-admin/python-updater-0.8" [installed])
>
> ***************************
>
> Well, it's a media computer so subversion shouldn't be there - I think
> it's a leftover from a previous task for this machine. So I now issue
> the command, and once again get:
>
> ***************************
>
> harold ~ # emerge -C subversion
> * This action can remove important packages! In order to be safer, use
> * `emerge -pv --depclean <atom>` to check for reverse dependencies
> before * removing packages.
>
> --- Couldn't find 'null/subversion' to unmerge.

> harold ~ #
>
> ***************************
>
> So, I'm now confused. I'm not a "Portage rocket scientist", but my
> reading of this is that subversion needs some flags set, but subversion
> isn't there!!!! Is this correct? Any ideas as to how I can get myself
> out of this pickle?

Looks like subversion is not installed, but the world update will pull it
in. But it cannot be installed because of the dso USE flag, whatever this
may be. Do you have it set in make.conf or /etc/portage/package.use? It
seems so. Add
dev-vcs/subversion -dso
to your /etc/portage/package.use to get rid of it, subversion should build
then.

Other tips for world updates after a long while:
- Add -t to the emerge command, the tree output sometimes helps to see where
problems come from. Would not heklp in this case, though.
- Separate the update into smaller tasks. Start with emerge -DautvN system,
and do the same for world later.

Wonko

Old 01-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Stroller

On 29/1/2011, at 2:49am, Andrew Lowe wrote:
> emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy "dev-vcs/subversion[-dso,perl]".
> !!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
> - dev-vcs/subversion-1.6.15 (Change USE: -dso)
> (dependency required by "dev-vcs/git-1.7.4_rc3" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "sys-devel/gettext-0.18.1.1-r1" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "dev-libs/popt-1.16-r1" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "dev-util/pkgconfig-0.25-r2" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "dev-lang/python-3.1.3" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "app-admin/python-updater-0.8" [installed])

> Well, it's a media computer so subversion shouldn't be there - I think it's a leftover from a previous task for this machine.

Subversion provides not only the server, but also `/usr/bin/svn`, the tool for downloading stuff from a repo. This is often needed for installing stuff via Portage that upstream developers keep in a Subversion repo.

Actually, in this case, sys-devel/gettext depends upon git, a different version control system (presumably because some of gettext's files are stored in git) and Subversion is being pulled in by git (probably for stuff like <http://learn.github.com/p/git-svn.html> and probably controlled by a USE flag).

Stroller.