Old 02-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Iain Buchanan

Default How to avoid installing a particular package(like gcc) in each update

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 18:50 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 February 2008, dell core2duo wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > Each time i run "emerge -auDNv gnome' some packages got updated
> > each time. I want to avoid continue update of big packages like
> > gcc,glibc, because updating these packages took too much time.
> > Is there any way i can avoid he same ?
>
> Perhaps you mean 'emerge -avuND world' instead of gnome ? :-)

well, this is exactly what emerge -u world is supposed to do... If you
don't want to upgrade then don't upgrade! Alternatively you could
specify the packages you want to upgrade, instead of world.

> You can temporarily create a file in /etc/portage/package.mask/ to block
> out some big ebuilds. Say you want to leave the latest gcc and glibc
> for later, then put this in it:
>
> >=sys-devel/gcc-4.2.2
> >=sys-libs/glibc-2.5.1
>
> Do your emerge world, those versions will be ignored. Later on you when
> you have time can delete this temp file and rerun emerge world.
>
> There are several ways you could accomplish this result, the above is
> what I tend to do

another few things I'd add: You probably want to use the stable keyword
(eg ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86" not ~x86 in /etc/make.conf) - that way you'll
get a few less upgrades (and downgrades).

Also, perhaps you only want to upgrade in case of security releases -
`emerge gentoolkit` and then try `glsa-check -v -t all` to see what
applies.

HTH,

QOTD:
"Wouldn't it be wonderful if real life supported control-Z?"