-   -   kmix/sound broken (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/482093-kmix-sound-broken.html)

James 01-27-2011 10:08 PM

kmix/sound broken

kmix will not run. The icon just bounces and then terminates.

Previously, installed kde4 using kde-meta. Rebuilding kde-meta
does not go into all of the individual packages.

I've never had trouble with kmix before, so any guidance
as to what package(s) to rebuild, would be appreciated.

Rebuilding kmix alone did not solve the problem...
(emerge -1Dv kmix)

Ideas or suggestions are most welcome. The machine runs
an identical kernel as another machine (actually just
about everything is identical, particularly the hardware)
and kmix is fine on that machine. Sound is also broken
on the system where kmix is broken.

ideas?

James

Mick 01-28-2011 05:17 AM

kmix/sound broken

On Thursday 27 January 2011 23:08:55 James wrote:
> kmix will not run. The icon just bounces and then terminates.
>
> Previously, installed kde4 using kde-meta. Rebuilding kde-meta
> does not go into all of the individual packages.
>
> I've never had trouble with kmix before, so any guidance
> as to what package(s) to rebuild, would be appreciated.
>
> Rebuilding kmix alone did not solve the problem...
> (emerge -1Dv kmix)
>
> Ideas or suggestions are most welcome. The machine runs
> an identical kernel as another machine (actually just
> about everything is identical, particularly the hardware)
> and kmix is fine on that machine. Sound is also broken
> on the system where kmix is broken.
>

> ideas?

What does kmix and kmix --keepvisibility show when you run them from a
terminal?
Mick

Florian Philipp 01-28-2011 05:42 AM

kmix/sound broken

Am 28.01.2011 00:08, schrieb James:
> kmix will not run. The icon just bounces and then terminates.
>
> Previously, installed kde4 using kde-meta. Rebuilding kde-meta
> does not go into all of the individual packages.

[...]
> Ideas or suggestions are most welcome. The machine runs
> an identical kernel as another machine (actually just
> about everything is identical, particularly the hardware)
> and kmix is fine on that machine. Sound is also broken
> on the system where kmix is broken.

Take a look at ~/.xsession-errors

That's where most (all?) of KDE does its logging.

James 01-28-2011 01:40 PM

kmix/sound broken

Florian Philipp <lists <at> binarywings.net> writes:

> Am 28.01.2011 00:08, schrieb James:
> > kmix will not run. The icon just bounces and then terminates.

> Take a look at ~/.xsession-errors

> That's where most (all?) of KDE does its logging.

ok, I ran a "tail -f /home/user/.xsession-errors"

in one window and typed in "kmix" in another terminal
window. Nothing logged and the command line just returned
empty as though I just hit the return key...

Just for grins, I tried the icon, in bouned for a while
then nothing. no error in .xsession-errors.

Parsing the .xsession-errors file here are a few select tidbits:

kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_kmixctrl.so
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
kglobalaccel(4642) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::registerKey: Registering key
"Alt+F2" for "krunner" : "Run Command"

kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_kmix.so
Unknown service name: 10d5eae5690001295882084
00000043360007_1295887108_971825
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/nepomukservicestub
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
kglobalaccel(4642) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::registerKey:
Registering key "Volume
Up" for "kmix" : "increase_volume"
kglobalaccel(4642) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::registerKey:
Registering key "Volume
Down" for "kmix" : "decrease_volume"
kglobalaccel(4642) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::registerKey:
Registering key "Volume
Mute" for "kmix" : "mute"
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/nepomukservicestub
Unknown service name: 10d5eae5690001295882092000000
43360009_1295887108_972252
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/nepomukservicestub
Unknown service name: 10d5eae5690001295882092
00000043360010_1295887108_972379
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/nepomukservicestub
Unknown service name: 10d5eae5690001295882092
00000043360011_1295887108_972511
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/nepomukservicestub
Unknown service name: 10d5eae5690001295882092
00000043360012_1295887108_978319
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_konsole.so
Unknown service name: 10d5eae5690001295882092
00000043360013_1295887108_972639
[/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub] "09:42:38 Compiler unit is t
imed at 0.001083 msec
"
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/hp-systray
kded(4590)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library
"/usr/lib64/kde4/solid_fakenet.so" does not offer a qt_
plugin_instance function.
kded(4590)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde3Factory: The library
"/usr/lib64/kde4/solid_fakenet.so" does not offer
an "init_solid_fakenet" function.
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_kmix.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_klipper.so
kglobalaccel(4642) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::registerKey: Registering key
"Display" for "kded" : "display"

I'm going to look for old kde3 stuff that may be corrupting the
application. Also, libata might be an issue. I need to find
those bookmarks folks posted about udev, libata and such.....
Not sure if related but this system needs some admin work....

James

Neil Bothwick 01-29-2011 10:05 AM

kmix/sound broken

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 14:40:27 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:

> ok, I ran a "tail -f /home/user/.xsession-errors"
>
> in one window and typed in "kmix" in another terminal
> window. Nothing logged and the command line just returned
> empty as though I just hit the return key...

It's possible kmix is already running, even though no icon is showing,
try killall kmix first.

--
Neil Bothwick

Plagarism prohibited. Derive carefully.

james 01-29-2011 04:06 PM

kmix/sound broken

Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

> It's possible kmix is already running, even though no icon is showing,
> try killall kmix first.

Um the icon does show up in the bottom bar and under
the kde pludown menu....... Launching from either results
in a bouncing icon and no app started.

Manual launch from the terminal, just returns empty.
nice idea! but:

# killall kmix
kmix: no process found

Besides the problem survives a emerge -e system
and subsequent reboot, so the next blunt instrument
is emerge -e world......

All the kde packages are going to get rebuilt....

James

Dale 01-29-2011 04:35 PM

kmix/sound broken

james wrote:

Neil Bothwick<neil<at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

It's possible kmix is already running, even though no icon is showing,
try killall kmix first.

Um the icon does show up in the bottom bar and under
the kde pludown menu....... Launching from either results
in a bouncing icon and no app started.

Manual launch from the terminal, just returns empty.
nice idea! but:

# killall kmix
kmix: no process found

Besides the problem survives a emerge -e system
and subsequent reboot, so the next blunt instrument
is emerge -e world......

All the kde packages are going to get rebuilt....

James

I noticed this:

root@fireball / # ps aux | grep kmix
dale 667 0.0 0.8 453144 33048 ? Sl Jan28 0:00
kdeinit4: kmix [kdeinit] -session
10d8df6f6b000124700450100000112470008_1281663401_3 252
root 27998 0.0 0.0 6188 572 pts/0 R+ 11:30 0:00 grep
--colour=auto kmix

root@fireball / #

killall kmix may not work in that case. It appears it is running as
part of kdeinit. May not want to kill that unless you have nothing open
that matters. Not sure what all that would kill.

You may could just kill that specific process tho. That may help.
Another thought, do you not have a Kmix icon in the panel? That's where
mine is. It looks like a speaker with some sound coming out of it.

Dale

:-) :-)

James 01-29-2011 05:05 PM

kmix/sound broken

Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> killall kmix may not work in that case. It appears it is running as
> part of kdeinit. May not want to kill that unless you have nothing open
> that matters. Not sure what all that would kill.

killall kmix did nothing....

> You may could just kill that specific process tho. That may help.
> Another thought, do you not have a Kmix icon in the panel? That's where
> mine is. It looks like a speaker with some sound coming out of it.

Yes it is in the bottom panel and under the pull down menu.

I rebuilding all sorts of packages, via revdep

Including akondadi and various kde packages....

Well see....

thx,
James

Neil Bothwick 01-30-2011 10:59 AM

kmix/sound broken

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 18:05:55 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:

> > killall kmix may not work in that case. It appears it is running as
> > part of kdeinit. May not want to kill that unless you have nothing
> > open that matters. Not sure what all that would kill.
>

> killall kmix did nothing....

Because, as Dale said, it's running as a kdeinit process. Use ps to get
the PID and kill that. KMix won't stat if it is already running, even if
that process has crashed.

--
Neil Bothwick

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

James 01-30-2011 03:26 PM

kmix/sound broken

Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

> > killall kmix did nothing....

> Because, as Dale said, it's running as a kdeinit process. Use ps to get
> the PID and kill that. KMix won't stat if it is already running, even if
> that process has crashed.

I did:

ps aux | grep kmix
root 31977 0.0 0.0 6184 576 pts/2 S+ 11:19
0:00 grep --colour=auto

All that is(was) running was the grep process...

I think I found the problem, but need a little guidance.

All prepared. Starting rebuild
emerge --oneshot --pretend --with-bdeps y app-editors/xemacs:0
app-office/akonadi-server:0
app-text/libspectre:0
dev-db/libdbi-drivers:0
dev-lang/php:5.3
dev-libs/apr-util:1
dev-libs/cyrus-sasl:2
dev-libs/redland:0
kde-base/nepomuk:4.4
media-gfx/imagemagick:0
x11-libs/qt-sql:4

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to
satisfy ">=kde-base/kdelibs-4.4.
5[aqua=,-kdeprefix,semantic-desktop]"

One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
kde-base/kdelibs-4.4.5-r2 (Change USE: +semantic-desktop)
(dependency required by "kde-base/nepomuk-4.4.5" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "kde-base/nepomuk:4.4" [argument])

Obviously I can do what it is advising me to do: add
semantic-desktop to the USE flag in either the make.conf file
or per package in packeage.use........... or such.

What are the caveats of semantic-desktop and nepomuk?
Can I just delete these and go my merry way, or
where should I read up on these kde4 (pillar) requirements?

Googling, I found this thread:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-799299-start-0.html

Code:
echo ">=kde-base/kdelibs-4.4.0 semantic-desktop" >> /
etc/portage/package.use

I'm now running kde-4.4 and everything seems fine. My understanding
of what I've done is that kdelibs is now set up to support any
application which thinks it wants semantic-desktop on while all those
applications with optional support for semantic-desktop know not to use
semantic-desktop.

Guidance and suggestions are warranted, methinks....

James