Old 01-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Carlos Sura

Default Doubt about Python.

Hello,

I'm running a Gentoo Box ~amd64, so, upgrading my system I could notice that there was 3 python versions.

I have:

Python 2.6Python 2.7
Python 3.1

It is safe if I use as main Python 2.7 and as active version of Python; Python 3.1???

Or should I stay in Python 2.6?

Carlos Sura.-

Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Dale

Carlos Sura wrote:

Hello,

I'm running a Gentoo Box ~amd64, so, upgrading my system I could
notice that there was 3 python versions.

I have:

Python 2.6
Python 2.7
Python 3.1

It is safe if I use as main Python 2.7 and as active version of
Python; Python 3.1???

Or should I stay in Python 2.6?

Carlos Sura.-

When it installs python 3, it tells you not to switch to it. Leave it
at 2.6 or 2.7. Myself, I masked python 3. When the time comes that we
have to have it, portage will tell us.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2011-01-27, Carlos Sura <carlos.sura1@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm running a Gentoo Box ~amd64, so, upgrading my system I could notice that
> there was 3 python versions.
>
> I have:
>
> Python 2.6
> Python 2.7
> Python 3.1
>
> It is safe if I use as main Python 2.7 and as active version of Python;

Probably not.

> Python 3.1???

Definitely not.

> Or should I stay in Python 2.6?

Yes.

You can use any version you want for your own apps, but as of a couple
weeks ago, I know that switching the Gentoo system apps to Python 3
would break things. If the system apps are still using 2.6 insteadof
2.7, there's probably a reason...

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! It's a lot of fun
at being alive ... I wonder if

Old 01-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Mike Gilbert

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Carlos Sura
<carlos.sura1@googlemail.com> wrote:
> It is safe if I use as main Python 2.7 and as active version of Python;
> Python 3.1???

2.7 is pretty safe at this point; I use this as my main version I
haven't hit an issue in a while.

3.1 is probably not such a good idea.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 18:31:13 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> You can use any version you want for your own apps, but as of a couple
> weeks ago, I know that switching the Gentoo system apps to Python 3
> would break things. If the system apps are still using 2.6 insteadof
> 2.7, there's probably a reason...

They don't, they use python:2. This box still works correctly without
python 2.6, nothing complains. It did require a quite lengthy
python-updater run before removing 2.6.

--
Neil Bothwick

I am NOT a NUMBER! I am a DEMOGRAPHIC!

Old 01-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Carlos Sura

On 27 January 2011 14:21, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 18:31:13 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> You can use any version you want for your own apps, but as of a couple

> weeks ago, I know that switching the Gentoo system apps to Python 3

> would break things. *If the system apps are still using 2.6 insteadof

> 2.7, there's probably a reason...

They don't, they use python:2. This box still works correctly without

python 2.6, nothing complains. It did require a quite lengthy

python-updater run before removing 2.6.

--

Neil Bothwick

I am NOT a NUMBER! I am a DEMOGRAPHIC!

So.... It is safe or not? I'm currently using python 2.7 with no problems right now or at least I think so... 2.6 and 2.7 are safe, right.
Ok, thank you all, I'm going to stay with python 2.7 to see what happens next.

Carlos Sura.-

Old 01-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:50:57 -0600, Carlos Sura wrote:

> So.... It is safe or not? I'm currently using python 2.7 with no
> problems right now or at least I think so... 2.6 and 2.7 are safe,
> right.

2.6 and 2.7 are safe, either alone or together. I removed 2.6 from my
desktop nearly four months ago with no ill effects.

3.1 is fine to have installed, but don't make it the default. Scripts
that want 3.1 can still use it but you don't break backward compatibility.

--
Neil Bothwick

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:09 PM
walt