Old 01-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Paul Hartman

Default Is anyone here using RTL8192CU wifi device in Gentoo?

Hi,

I recently bought a USB wifi adapter with RTL8192CU chipset. Drivers
are available from Realtek's website, and are updated regularly (last
month), but are not in the mainline Linux kernel or in the portage
tree.

Compiling and installing the drivers is not a problem, but every time
I insert the USB adapter my computer freezes and no amount of
magic-SysRq can get me out of it. I tried on 2 different Gentoo
machines with the same result.

The adapter works (poorly...) on a Windows XP machine, so I know the
hardware is functional.

Does anyone else here use these drivers?

Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 26 January 2011 16:22:03 Paul Hartman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a USB wifi adapter with RTL8192CU chipset. Drivers
> are available from Realtek's website, and are updated regularly (last
> month), but are not in the mainline Linux kernel or in the portage
> tree.
>
> Compiling and installing the drivers is not a problem, but every time
> I insert the USB adapter my computer freezes and no amount of
> magic-SysRq can get me out of it. I tried on 2 different Gentoo
> machines with the same result.
>
> The adapter works (poorly...) on a Windows XP machine, so I know the
> hardware is functional.
>
> Does anyone else here use these drivers?

I'm not using this hardware, but have you seen this?

http://amailbox.net/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2010/12/13/4658671
Mick

Old 02-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 26 January 2011 16:22:03 Paul Hartman wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I recently bought a USB wifi adapter with RTL8192CU chipset. Drivers
>>> are available from Realtek's website, and are updated regularly (last
>>> month), but are not in the mainline Linux kernel or in the portage
>>> tree.
>>>
>>> Compiling and installing the drivers is not a problem, but every time
>>> I insert the USB adapter my computer freezes and no amount of
>>> magic-SysRq can get me out of it. I tried on 2 different Gentoo
>>> machines with the same result.
>>>
>>> The adapter works (poorly...) on a Windows XP machine, so I know the
>>> hardware is functional.
>>>
>>> Does anyone else here use these drivers?
>>
>> I'm not using this hardware, but have you seen this?
>>
>> http://amailbox.net/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2010/12/13/4658671
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the pointer! While that firmware itself does nothing for me
> (the Realtek driver already includes the latest firmware in the source
> code), Googling Larry Finger's name along with this chipset led me to
> some other (and very recent) posts which tell me that this driver only
> works on 32-bit systems and that no functioning 64-bit driver is
> available. That's too bad. I suppose all I can do now is wait for
> Realtek to fix it and release a working driver.
>
> Thanks again.

Looks like Mr. Finger has submitted a driver for this device a couple
days ago, targeting inclusion in the 2.6.39 kernel. I'll have to give
it a try.

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/63851