Old 01-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Michael Sullivan

Default Flash versions

I've got a conundrum here. We just got my wife's computer back from the
shop today (in for a RAM upgrade) and she wants to play Farmville on her
computer, now that it's fast enough. Farmville says that she needs to
upgrade her flash player. I can play Farmville on my computer, so I'm
using it as a guide, but here's the thing: My seamonkey says it has
Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102. Her computer claims Shockwave Flash 6.0 r81.
We each have the same version of adobe-flash installed, with the exact
same USE flags. We both use the same version of seamonkey. So why is
my flash plugin version higher, and how can I get hers as high?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Jacob Todd

Manually install flash.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Jesús J. Guerrero Botella

2011/1/26 Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@gmail.com>:
> My seamonkey says it has
> Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102. *Her computer claims Shockwave Flash 6.0 r81.
> We each have the same version of adobe-flash installed, with the exact
> same USE flags. * We both use the same version of seamonkey. *So why is
> my flash plugin version higher, and how can I get hers as high?

If you both have the same version of the adobe-flash package, then
it's crystal clear that there must be some other version of the plugin
that's interfering. Probably something that one of you installed by
hand, either globally or locally (on her home folder). This is one of
the reasons why I would advice against the advice someone gave you
above. Installing things by hand is not a good thing if you plan to
forget about them as the time passes by.

What I'd do.

First make sure you don't have installed some other flash plugin via
portage, check that swfdec, lightspark and/or gnash are not installed.
If they are, uninstall them. After that, use this command to see where
your plugin lives and if there's some other in some alternative place:

$ locate libflashplayer.so

Ask here if you are not sure about the output. Also, note that there
can be plugins installed locally under ~/, so if after the above you
can't still find the 6.x plugin that's causing the mess it might be a
good idea to run something like

$ find $HOME -name libflashplayer.so

And see what happens.

--
Jesús Guerrero Botella

Old 01-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 19:28:40 -0500, Jacob Todd wrote:

> Manually install flash.

That's probably what caused the problem in the first place.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 018: Unrecoverable error - System has been destroyed. Buy a new
one. Old Windows licence is not valid anymore.