Old 01-25-2011, 08:04 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Default tuxonice and suspend-to-ram

Greets,

I use suspend-to-ram all the time on my desktop-machine as well.
Energy-saving and quicker for me ... it works fine.

I use the tuxonice-sources for this, back then it was more reliable with
my hardware. Usually the ebuild for tuxonice-sources is some weeks later
than gentoo-sources. As I am always curious for the latest stable kernel
I often run gentoo-sources inbetween (and think to myself "I can get by
without S2R for a while").

Now I have noticed that "hibernate-ram" works with plain gentoo-sources
as well. And it does so without a problem. Fine!

Is there any real advantage in using tuxonice here? Pls note that I only
use S2R, and never suspend to disk .... all the disk-related features of
tuxonice aren't important to me.

Thanks for your opinions, Stefan

Old 02-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Gregory SACRE

Hi Stephan,

Frankly, I don't think it would bring anything to you, except maybe
the possibility to cancel a suspension on the fly and maybe some check
when coming from suspension.

I'm using tuxonice only for the suspend to disk, but even there, the
kernel has some builtin features that would be sufficient for me (I'm
lazy, I don't want to try ;-)).

tuxonice is mainly some wrapping scripts that makes the suspension
more feature full than the bare kernel provided but in the end, they
still use what the kernel provides.

In your case, I don't think it's mandatory to use tuxonice.

HTH,

Greg

Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 01.02.2011 14:55, schrieb Gregory SACRE:
> Hi Stephan,
>

> Frankly, I don't think it would bring anything to you, except maybe
> the possibility to cancel a suspension on the fly and maybe some check
> when coming from suspension.
>
> I'm using tuxonice only for the suspend to disk, but even there, the
> kernel has some builtin features that would be sufficient for me (I'm
> lazy, I don't want to try ;-)).
>
> tuxonice is mainly some wrapping scripts that makes the suspension
> more feature full than the bare kernel provided but in the end, they
> still use what the kernel provides.
>
> In your case, I don't think it's mandatory to use tuxonice.

Thanks, Greg!

Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 14:55:43 +0100, Gregory SACRE wrote:

> tuxonice is mainly some wrapping scripts that makes the suspension
> more feature full than the bare kernel provided but in the end, they
> still use what the kernel provides.

Tuxonice also includes kernel patches, so it isn't only using what the
kernel provides. You can use the tuxonice scripts with a vanilla kernel,
you just miss out on the extra features.

--
Neil Bothwick

The cow is nothing but a machine which makes grass fit for us people to
eat.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 02.02.2011 00:33, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 14:55:43 +0100, Gregory SACRE wrote:
>
>> tuxonice is mainly some wrapping scripts that makes the suspension
>> more feature full than the bare kernel provided but in the end, they
>> still use what the kernel provides.
>
> Tuxonice also includes kernel patches, so it isn't only using what the
> kernel provides. You can use the tuxonice scripts with a vanilla kernel,
> you just miss out on the extra features.

Sure. But what are the extras in S2R-context? What do I miss?

But: as long as I don't know, I don't miss ;-)
And as I don't miss anything, it seems sufficient for me ....

Most of the features listed on the project-site belongs to
suspend-to-disk, so I just give the plain kernel a try again.

Stefan

Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 08:17:11 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

> > Tuxonice also includes kernel patches, so it isn't only using what the
> > kernel provides. You can use the tuxonice scripts with a vanilla
> > kernel, you just miss out on the extra features.
>
> Sure. But what are the extras in S2R-context? What do I miss?

The most obvious is the ability to abort a suspend or resume.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:35 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 02.02.2011 09:41, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 08:17:11 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>> Sure. But what are the extras in S2R-context? What do I miss?
>
> The most obvious is the ability to abort a suspend or resume.

That was my impression as well. I don't really need that.
S2R is fast here, and resuming also ...

Stefan