Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 PM
"Greg Bowser"

Default More problems with Pidgin

You need to get the gtk use flag to get the gtk GUI

--Greg
On Feb 5, 2008 2:54 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

I decided to move on from Gaim, since it is now masked. *So I emerged pidgin,
backed up ~/.gaim, unmerged gaim and tried to launch pidgin . . .

Hmm, it seems that I can launch /usr/bin/finch, that brings up an ncurses

interface, but not pidgin. *There is no pidgin binary! *Have I missed out
some necessary USE flag perhaps?

$ pidgin
-bash: pidgin: command not found

# ls -la /usr/bin/pidgin
ls: cannot access /usr/bin/pidgin: No such file or director

# emerge -pDv pidgin

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild * R * ] net-im/pidgin-2.2.1 *USE="dbus gstreamer ncurses nls perl
spell -bonjour -debug -doc -eds -gadu -gnutls -groupwise -gtk -meanwhile -networkmanager -prediction -qq -sasl -silc -tcl -tk -zephyr"

0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
Mick

Old 02-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Kenneth Prugh

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 19:54:07 +0000
Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

> I decided to move on from Gaim, since it is now masked. So I emerged
> pidgin, backed up ~/.gaim, unmerged gaim and tried to launch
> pidgin . . .
>
> Hmm, it seems that I can launch /usr/bin/finch, that brings up an
> ncurses interface, but not pidgin. There is no pidgin binary! Have
> I missed out some necessary USE flag perhaps?
>
> $ pidgin
> -bash: pidgin: command not found
>
> # ls -la /usr/bin/pidgin
> ls: cannot access /usr/bin/pidgin: No such file or director
>
> # emerge -pDv pidgin

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild R ] net-im/pidgin-2.2.1 USE="dbus gstreamer ncurses nls
> perl spell -bonjour -debug -doc -eds -gadu -gnutls -groupwise -gtk
> -meanwhile -networkmanager -prediction -qq -sasl -silc -tcl -tk
> -zephyr" 0 kB
>
> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

USE="gtk" for pidgin. Right you now just have finch (ncurses)

--
Ken69267
Gentoo AMD64 AT

Old 02-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Jil Larner

Hi,

here's a terminal output :

tsukasa@TheWorld ~ $ which pidgin
/usr/bin/pidgin
tsukasa@TheWorld ~ $ eix -I pidgin
[i] net-im/pidgin
Available versions: 2.2.1 (~)2.2.2 (~)2.3.1 {bonjour dbus debug
doc eds gadu gnutls groupwise gstreamer gtk meanwhile ncurses
networkmanager nls perl prediction qq sasl silc spell tcl tk zephyr}
Installed versions: 2.3.1(20:01:24 15.12.2007)(dbus gtk ncurses
nls perl silc -bonjour -debug -doc -eds -gadu -gnutls -groupwise
-gstreamer -meanwhile -networkmanager -prediction -qq -sasl -spell -tcl
-tk -zephyr)
Homepage: http://pidgin.im/

Note gtk use flag

Build again
Jil.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:02 PM
"Andrey Falko"

On Feb 5, 2008 2:54 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> I decided to move on from Gaim, since it is now masked. So I emerged pidgin,
> backed up ~/.gaim, unmerged gaim and tried to launch pidgin . . .
>
> Hmm, it seems that I can launch /usr/bin/finch, that brings up an ncurses
> interface, but not pidgin. There is no pidgin binary! Have I missed out
> some necessary USE flag perhaps?
>
> $ pidgin
> -bash: pidgin: command not found
>
> # ls -la /usr/bin/pidgin
> ls: cannot access /usr/bin/pidgin: No such file or director
>
> # emerge -pDv pidgin

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild R ] net-im/pidgin-2.2.1 USE="dbus gstreamer ncurses nls perl
> spell -bonjour -debug -doc -eds -gadu -gnutls -groupwise -gtk -meanwhile -networkmanager -prediction -qq -sasl -silc -tcl -tk -zephyr"
> 0 kB

Maybe +gtk ?

What does "equery f pidgin" say? (If you don't have equery, emerge gentoolkit).

Old 02-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 05 February 2008, Greg Bowser wrote:
> You need to get the gtk use flag to get the gtk GUI

Thanks Greg, I thought that it should be clever enough to enable gtk by
default, just like gaim used to (I think).

Remerging now . . .
Mick